Wondering about heart bypass recovery time.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Lloyd B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Lloyd you asked about recovery time my father-in-law called in a panic his garbage disposal had quit on him in his early 90s he didn't know what to do this was about 2 mos after my by-pass. I stopped at his house saw he needed a new one I went and got it and was able to replace it for him but I have to admit it hurt as I had to squirm under his sink and hold that thing up in order to get it hooked up. I was in a very awkward position and put a lot of stress on my chest but I made it!

You should start to see improvement in about 3mos remember they didn't do your chest any favors when they fixed you up I think that is worse than the rest of it.

2. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    Thank you, the Drs. have stressed fluid retention, prescribed diuretic, and potassium if it should start, and have to weigh myself each morning to catch it early, they took one vein from my arm, and one inside the chest wall, so I am lucky to have no leg pain, except for the bone on bone knee pain I have had for a few years, and I have a cane and a walker to take some of the weight off of my knees, when I walk.

3. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    Wow Lloyd what sort of bypass did you have?

4. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    Glad to hear your up and about and on the mend. speedy recovery buddy.

5. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Excellent! Keep up the good recovery work Lloyd!

6. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    Just wanted to post a quick update. I have had my follow up Dr. visits, and everything seems to be healing well. They cleared me to drive a couple of days before 4 weeks, changed some of my meds, and we started cardiac rehab at 6 weeks, and it seems to be going well. Disappointed that the bypass didn't "fix" my abnormal heart beat problem, but the Doc. said it did avoid a coming heart attack, so I guess it was worth it. Everything that I can see on the outside has healed well, I have had no infection, or fluid retention problems, pain is getting much reduced, and bones have started to fuse again. I still have great hopes to make rally in Michigan, one of my grandsons has offered to help get the popup ready, if we promise to take him camping with us, no problem on our part. Thanks again for your advise, and encouragement, hope to see you all in Holly.

bob barnes likes this.
  7. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Great news Lloyd! If you get to Holly, you WILL have as much (or more :) ) help then you need. You've got 3 weeks to mend more . . .

8. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    Lloyd good news glad for you I had mine done the only thing that saved my life was I had a psysical and upon leaving I mentioned I was having trouble even walking no pain or nothing just running out of gas. She got me into the cardio dr and he did by-pass that week. I have never noticed much increase in things just still living. Doc said I was plenty plugged up no chance for stints!!