Wyoming DIY Pronghorn Hunt?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by CampinMO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. CampinMO

CampinMO New Member

Aug 14, 2017
    SE Missouri
    Hi all!
    My brother and I are kicking around the idea of a diy antelope hunt next year, possibly around the Casper area. Pros and cons of pop up camping in the fall in this environment? Units with decent public access and draw odds? Affordable or even free campgrounds in the area? This will be our first hunting trip out west. Any and all help and tips are greatly appreciated!

2. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Only area I hunted antelope was in Wheatland. Used a guide service so I'm no help there. But it was early Oct. Weather was cold at night/early morning 30s to High 80s late morning/afternoon. Hope you have a good time.and good luck

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Read the section for cold weather camping. I've camped in the late fall here in the east coast and that was cold enough for me, but I'm a wimp when it gets below freezing for long. I would be sure you have reflectix, perhaps some popup gizmos or some other reflective tarp above the bunkends. Put something under the matress to help keep the drafts from seeping through the bottom of the bunk. You will more than likely need to use carried water since you will probably have to winterize the unit. I had my 5 gallon jug of water freeze up on me outside so ended up moving it in the camper. The good news you won't be replenishing ice as much. Sorry I can't offer any help with your other questions.

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Contact the BLM, Casper WY office and ask about dispersed camping for free camping, or for organized campgrounds for paid camping (if any).

5. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Just talking with a buddy this morning who was planning a Pronghorn hunt in our backyard. We get quite a few of them around here, but I won't be able to go out this year. Just too much going on (parents sold out and are moving onto my property). Maybe next year?!?

On a side note, I've never tried the meat. My buddy thinks it tastes good, but his wife doesn't care for it. You hunting to fill your freezer or trophy?

6. CampinMO

CampinMO New Member

Aug 14, 2017
    SE Missouri
    Thanks for the input everybody! And we are not after recordbook antelope just some decent representative animals and maybe a couple doe tags to fill. Like I said, this will be our first hunting trip west of MO so were more interested in the experience than anything.

7. prop630

prop630 Member

May 19, 2017
    Aurora, IL
    It's been several years since I last went but there was a group of 10 of us that went for a week every other year and hunted a ranch just outside Douglas. Twice a couple of the guys brought a pop up they borrowed from a relative and never had any problem with it. They wouldn't run the furnace much more than they had to and I believe their battery was getting low by the end of the week but that was about it. The rest of us tent camped, I always remember it being fairly windy and seemed like it always snowed at least one night. We always had a great time and filled our tags. Good luck with the hunt and have a great time, it's well worth the experience.

8. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    I went with a friend and we both thought the meat was great, but our guide said they don’t like like the taste. I gave some to a buddy of mine and he thought it was the best in the world. So I guess it’s everyone has their own tastes. I would definitely go again if I had the chance.

9. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    How does it compare to venison? I'll eat venison jerky, but the steaks and ground are a little to gamey for my tastes, kinda like sagebrush. I ask because out here, the antelope and deer are in the same area. Hell, I could put a stand in my front yard and fill my freezer monthly.