Your Favorite Day Hike and Why ?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by jumpoff, Jan 7, 2017.

1. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    If you haven't done the Jump Off trail yet it's probably my favorite hike inside GSMNP. It starts at the New Found Gap visitor's center on 441, the road that cuts through the park between Cherokee and Gatlinburg. The Appalachian Trail actually cuts through the parking lot of the Visitor's center so you pick up the trail right there. Here's the link, http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/jumpoff.htm The view at the very end is amazing. Only hike it though on a clear day. I've hiked it three times. The third time I hiked it I took my girls. I was bragging about what a great view it was from the rocky outcropping at the end of the trail and by the time we got there it was socked in with fog... And then to make matters worse on the way back the skies unloaded and we got soaked....

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I mean it's one thing to carry empty tanks but it's a whole other thing to carry two full ones....she must have been in some kind of shape. ...that was a great story .

3. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Our favorite is the Appalachian Trail section through the Roan Mountain highlands. Bald mountains with 360 degree views.

We did the Glacier NP Iceberg Lake Trail this summer. 10 miles, 1300' elevation gain, snow during last mile. My 7yo son and 4 yo daughter hiked the whole trail!

4. C. VanHart

C. VanHart Getting back to it,

Jan 19, 2017
    Zealand falls white mountains of NH. Relatively easy hike and there is an amc hut at the end I did a lot of difficult hikes by myself when I was younger (Mt. Washington a few times) and there's no great views on this one. But if you take your kids or a less experienced hiker it just puts you in a great place. I've never had a bad experience and routinely would experience some trail magic [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Ea;lye great to see the Whites mentioned here. My hiking is limited because when I am in the really great places, I have my small kids.

So that said, I took them up the Tram at the Jackson Hole resort and hiked them down through Grarnet Canyon. It was an overnight, so not technically a day hike. It was very rewarding to give them an experience like that.