1157 LED Brake/Turn Bulbs

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Can anyone recommend a bulb for my camper that will work?
Amazon reviews are all over the map with hyper flash and longevity issues. I don’t want to change the housing, just the bulbs from incandescent to LED. (Single bulb fixture).
Bonus question; Red or white LED’s?

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
May I suggest that if you're going to upgrade to LED bulbs, replace the entire light fixture. I got these to replace mine after dealing with dirty connectors that were corroded and plastic lenses that have degraded due to exposure. Nothing bounces loose during transit now and they are very bright. I used closed end crimp connectors and tucked them back in the hole inside the wall.

615zkJTrK9L._AC_SX679_.jpg

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I bought bulk 1157/1156 LEDs off eBay several years ago for about a buck a piece. About all my vehicles and trailers now have them. My trailer has a dozen 1156 bulbs inside the interior overhead lights that I swapped. I haven't had any issues.

I had a marker light out on one of my trailers a few weeks ago. A check with the autoparts store showed 2 bulbs to be about 5 bucks. I ordered 50 LED bulbs from an eBay vendor for about 11 bucks.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
I use these in my 69 VW and they work great. I use the red. When one of my trailer lights go out, I’ll replace both with these.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
I use these in my 69 VW and they work great. I use the red. When one of my trailer lights go out, I’ll replace both with these.
I believe the zevo bulbs will only work in automotive reflector type housings, not standard trailer bulb housings, because of the angle that the LEDs point.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
That’s interesting. I believe my trailer lights have a metal reflector behind the bulb if that’s what you mean. I’ll have to check and try a bulb from my VW and see if it will work.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
I actually tried the zevo bulbs (had to search the garage this morning to confirm that they were the ones I bought). The LEDs on them are pointed towards the base of the bulb, not outwards.

Because my assemblies rely on bulbs that shine sideways/radially they definitely did not work in my light assemblies (they fit fine, but the beam pattern did not shine out). But they may work in other assemblies:
PXL_20220524_121229025.jpg
The above linked SuperBrightLEDs are shown installed in that picture. They work great - good differentiation between the low (running) and high (turn/brake) outputs.

If the zevo bulbs will work for anyone shoot me over a PM - I've got a set with about 60 seconds of use on them.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
I can see now why they wouldn't work. Thanks TSQ. I'll not waste the time trying them and instead use a bulb that has the emitters in a 360 pattern.