1500w inverter on TV - use/application ideas?

z.saw

Aug 23, 2022
Yeah car
1500 is enough to run a 75a dc charger for the camper batteries. It's also enough for a coffee maker, microwave, and wired chain saw.

1500 is the sweet spot. Most corded items can be run. But in the highlander I think it requires the vehicle to be on. I might be wrong.

For that reason it's probably ideal to consider what you could use for shorter durations. Microwaves and coffee makers come to mind.

You could run an ac unit... But I wouldn't want to idle my car for 8 hours.
Yeah car needs to be on! Check, thanks!!

z.saw

Aug 23, 2022
Just watching a video on a power station that has about 150 AH and charges at 1100 watts, meaning in an hour it can get to 80%.

Would that not mean I could turn my car on for an hour and plug this into the 1500w Inverter and charge it up pretty quickly? Would be good in bad solar days etc

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
It’s a Toyota Highlander that has a 1500w Inverter and regular wall plugs as part of the limited package. Was hoping there would be some great application for them that I hadn’t thought of lol
Is it a hybrid? Some, like plug-in hybrids, have the Inverter connected to the hybrid battery, not the small 12v starter battery. That could be a very useful 120v outlet.

z.saw

Aug 23, 2022
Is it a hybrid? Some, like plug-in hybrids, have the Inverter connected to the hybrid battery, not the small 12v starter battery. That could be a very useful 120v outlet.
Yeah it’s a Highlander Hybrid. Could I use it to charge a power station quickly?

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
Just watching a video on a power station that has about 150 AH and charges at 1100 watts, meaning in an hour it can get to 80%.

Would that not mean I could turn my car on for an hour and plug this into the 1500w Inverter and charge it up pretty quickly? Would be good in bad solar days etc
I am editing this because I had a brain fart.

Last edited:

z.saw

Aug 23, 2022
In theory, yes. In practice you better make sure your alternator and car battery like that. Your avg car alternator produces ess than 100w. Some hd ones can do 150-200... But that is rarely sustained for a long period of time. Many also want the car to be moving so that it doesn't overheat.

Assuming even the best case scenario, you will always be in a constant negative charge state for your vehicle... Meaning that if you charge at 1100w, around 900w is coming out of your car battery.

Wouldn't be my choice.

However if you are at a campground you could just take it with you and charge at the bathroom for an hr, if you were desperate, or a tiny Inverter generator. Most of these units can be adjusted so that you stay within the limits of your charging equipment.
After looking into it a bit it appears people are using the 1500w inverters in the hybrids to power things with the vehicle running quite a bit.
I see no reason why I couldn’t do this to re charge a power station? It wouldn’t be any different than what other people are doing with them that I can see. May be a nice backup when solar panels aren’t getting any sun.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
You could also just put jumper cables on your car to the camper battery. No need for the pack.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
No idea. But you would cut out the middle man, lol. I have no clue how long your pack takes to charge, or the efficiency of the outlet. Only way to really know is to test it out.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
Without seeing the specs on this power station it would take about 2 hours to charge 150 AH at 1100 watts. You would get the same result charging a 150 AH LFP battery with a 75 amp charger plugged into your Inverter, possibly a bit cheaper.

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
Yeah it’s a Highlander Hybrid. Could I use it to charge a power station quickly?
This I believe is true as it's not only connected to the hybrid battery, the alternator is not the small one like regular cars. It's part of the transmission bell housing capable of significantly more power generation(and regeneration!)

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
After looking into it a bit it appears people are using the 1500w inverters in the hybrids to power things with the vehicle running quite a bit.
I see no reason why I couldn’t do this to re charge a power station? It wouldn’t be any different than what other people are doing with them that I can see. May be a nice backup when solar panels aren’t getting any sun.
Oh, sorry.. I lost track of the fact you have the hybrid with the built in 1500w Inverter. Seems ok, but you'd have to check to make sure the Inverter likes the sustained draw for an hour or two. Realistically since your engine starts/stops as needed you can always set the charge limit lower to not overheat the highlanders Inverter.

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
We tried our Honda’s 100w while driving plug to power our 12v cooler. We plug our Jackery 500 into the truck and then the cooler into the Jackery. This setup gave us continuous power to the cooler whether the engine was running or not.

Worked well until it got hot outside. The Jackery shutdown in the truck bed because it couldn’t handle the summer heat.

Now all I use it for is to charge batteries for my drill and lantern we use while camping.

chiques

Oct 4, 2020
I'll use an Inverter to power/charge a laptop. That's about all I've found useful, but I do that a lot.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
I haven't measured it but I estimate I use about 30AH/40W per day average when camping without conservation efforts. This does not include furnace use or my 12 volt fridge, which lives in the truck, but does include running a cpap 8 hours per night. When using LI or LFP batteries you don't need to recharge to full every day, you just need to make up for the power that you draw from the battery. LFP batteries do need to recharge to full at least monthly when in use so that the BMS can properly balance the cellls

Brian Clancy

Aug 23, 2021
We have a 300W Inverter that I keep in the tow vehicle. In the last six years I've used it twice--once to charge a Nikon camera battery with a 110v charger and once to run a vacuum. The vacuum featured a hard start and shut down the Inverter attached to a 12v auxiliary battery in the trailer. Using an Inverter to convert energy from 12v to 110v to charge a 12v device is an energy application with no future. We heat everything with propane, cool everything with 12v fans and ice and only use 12v appliances like 18" tablet television screen, CPAP, and table lamps. If you're boondocking, or even just off of Shore Power, you're better off being prepared to go 12v for everything IMHO.

Dec 3, 2017
Just wondering if anyone with a built in Inverter on their vehicle and normal 120v plugs use them while camping. Wondering if there are some great uses for it while boondocking.

You have to start the vehicle for it to work would be one downside.
I haven't seen it mentioned very clearly. When using your built in Inverter, it receives it's power either from your TV alternator when the engine is running or from the battery with engine off. When parked, and using the Inverter, you are draining your TV battery and risk being stranded. You could install a second, isolated battery and not risk losing TV battery power. Or, you could leave your TV running while using the Inverter. IMHO, I don't think that results in a desirable outcome. Realize that anything that produces heat will require lots of power. A small ceramic heater will use 1,500 watts or more, a microwave about 1,000 watts. An electric coffee maker sucks up power too. If you want all the comforts of home life while boondocking, there will a cost to it. We've had a primitive hunting camp in the Colorado Rockies since the early 1980's and until recently, the only use we had for an Inverter was for a boot dryer. Our camp is set up for 10 days using 2 popups and have 3-6 hunters. We now have more demand and have added a 2200 watt Inverter generator to recharge the trailer battery and refresh all the small electronics. Most of our creature comforts are fueled by propane, kerosene, and Coleman fuel. All of these produce heat which we value when the temps get into the teens at night. The generator is a nice touch for us older folks but, not really necessary if you decide how you want to keep life simple.

Latest posts