1963 Nomad Camper Tent/Boat

SteveG58

Nov 20, 2020
London, Ontario, Canada
We became the second owners of a 1963 Nomad camper this summer. It's a unique little thing - the bottom half is the bed and stowage section, the top half is a boat with fittings for oarlocks or motor. And to top it off, the bottom is watertight so you can tow it behind the boat to whatever island you see off in the distance.

There's not much information about them online but the original owners had promotional photos from the manufacturer. I've scanned and posted them here. The owners had a tent and awning business and just before they sold it they replaced all of the canvas, making changes they thought made for a better experience, primarily larger windows and a heavy-duty floor. They also made a cover for the bottom half so it can travel without the top half. That's what we did for our first trip last August. Until now we've been tenters and I have to say this little rig has taken our camp life to a whole new level - literally.

So, without further ado, here are some photos.
Nomad001.jpg Nomad002.jpg Nomad003.jpg Nomad004.jpg Nomad005.jpg Nomad006.jpg Nomad007.jpg Nomad008.jpg Nomad010.jpg 20200825_161734-03.jpeg

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
And to top it off, the bottom is watertight so you can tow it behind the boat to whatever island you see off in the distance.
So when the camper bottom is used as a water transport, is it removed from the frame? Just hoping the axle isn't being dragged under water. I've researched a little, but see nothing on that aspect of the camper.

SteveG58

Nov 20, 2020
London, Ontario, Canada
So when the camper bottom is used as a water transport, is it removed from the frame? Just hoping the axle isn't being dragged under water. I've researched a little, but see nothing on that aspect of the camper.

It's a torsion-suspension axle, tucked up in a cross channel. Not exactly fluid-dynamic but probably not horrendous drag. I imagine load balance would be the major consideration.

cyclop5

Silver Supporting Member
Jun 18, 2015
way cool! It's a shame there isn't stuff like this made nowadays. They really thought outside the box back then.

alexmandeltoon

Nov 12, 2021
You are really lucky, I sincerely congratulate you on this find. It is very rare to find something like this in good condition, and judging by the photo, your boat is in excellent condition. The most important thing is that the carcam is perfectly preserved and you can safely work on what is inside. I would like to ask a question to people who understand boats, as I had a strange smell from the engine after the last walk on the water. I wanted to take my family for a boat ride on my birthday, but I didn't take any chances because of this smell, and just rented something similar at yacht rental miami. Thank you in advance for the answer

Last edited: