2002 Starcraft roof A/C install question

eprovenzano

Oct 6, 2013
Just picked up a 2002 Starcraft Constellation Orion pup. The roof is not aluminum / Wood, and it's not ABS like the Colemans... It's a fiberglass unit, that's more like the hull of a boat. No seams, I believe it even has a gel coat finish. According to the brochure, the pup is A/C ready, but there are no A/C roof supports. My son (230 lbs had to get on the roof to tape over a broken vent cap. The roof is so stiff didn't flex or groan when he was on it. We were shocked!

My question... we want to remove the power vent, and add a roof top A/C. I know popups need roof supports for the weight of an A/C, Has anyone with a Starcraft pup and the fiberglass roof installed a roof A/C unit?

eprovenzano

Oct 6, 2013
In a pup I had previously (04 Redwood HW) I added a A/C heat pump unit on the roof. Now that unit had the proper A/C roof braces and the roof was in perfect condition. But as a precautionary / safety measure, I added a piece of 3/4" plywood (3ft x 3ft piece) to the interior under the A/C unit to help spread the weight of the unit over a larger area.

I think we will do this again when we put an A/C unit on this pup. I know the roof on this pup, being thick fiberglass can handle the weight without issue, but I would feel better knowing I added some support to help spread the weight I don't want to create any potential problems by putting any holes in the roof, as it's now 21 years old, and in perfect condition... I'd like to keep it that way.

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
Just an idea...
I had all aluminum popup with a soft-top tent over the top a number of years ago. I liked that there was a space in the lower side floor that had a drawer slide that held a window unit and a hinged outside door that swung down to secure the outside when traveling. The floor held the weight of the AC and I could put in any 5-6K BTU unit that would fit. Open the small door, slide out the unit on the drawer slide and turn it on. The heat exchanger was outside until you pushed it in and closed the outside door. A small fan sitting on the floor or sink cabinet circulated the cool air off the floor. The price of the AC unit was considerably less then an RV roof mount. With a little engineering effort you could do the same without the worry of weight on the roof. Start with a box built on the floor that fits a window AC unit and cut a hole in the side of your PUP. My box was built of aluminum tubing with a shelf on the top of the box. This would allow you to retain your current ventilation on the roof.

eprovenzano

Oct 6, 2013
Just an idea...
I had all aluminum popup with a soft-top tent over the top a number of years ago. I liked that there was a space in the lower side floor that had a drawer slide that held a window unit and a hinged outside door that swung down to secure the outside when traveling. The floor held the weight of the AC and I could put in any 5-6K BTU unit that would fit. Open the small door, slide out the unit on the drawer slide and turn it on. The heat exchanger was outside until you pushed it in and closed the outside door. A small fan sitting on the floor or sink cabinet circulated the cool air off the floor. The price of the AC unit was considerably less then an RV roof mount. With a little engineering effort you could do the same without the worry of weight on the roof. Start with a box built on the floor that fits a window AC unit and cut a hole in the side of your PUP. My box was built of aluminum tubing with a shelf on the top of the box. This would allow you to retain your current ventilation on the roof.
thanks for the suggestion... I'm going to be doing a lot of research / backyard engineering over the winter... probably will drive myself crazy... but isn't that what winters are for... planning mods?