Not open for further replies.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Mark your calendars!

[size=14pt]5th annual Colorado Rally

July 29 to 3 August 2014[/size]

Here we go folks, it is time to start thinking about the 5th annual Colorado Rally.

Campgrounds are:
Matterhorn - Reservations recommended.
Priest Lake - Dispersed no reservations and free.

I need 4 more to commit before this rally can be official.
I know we cannot reserve for another 87 days so I have given all the info for Matterhorn and Preist Lake.
You can reserve your campsite no earlier than the 29th of January 2014. I will alert everyone on the 28th of January.

The plan is to meet up at Matterhorn Campground as the primary.
Reservations are here. http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/map_of_Matterhorn/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73831&topTabIndex=CampingSpot.

If you want to boondock then Priest Lake is just a mile away and no reservations or fee required. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110204&ttype=recarea&recid=32378&actid=79&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110400000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=null&pname=Grand+Mesa%2C+Uncompahgre+and+Gunnison+National+Fore+-+Priest+Lake+Dispersed+Camping+Area.

For those who have not been to a Colorado Rally before, don't be intimidated. we will have an informal fishing contest, pot luck dinner and if you want to do a scenic mountain off-road trail I will lead one over to Ourey.
There are many hot springs to the south of the campground as well as great fun in Telluride.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We're in, @ Matterhorn.
We'll probably be there at least until Saturday, most likely arriving the Saturday before.
We're tossing around plans for DH, since he'd like to meet up with his bother again during the general time-frame of the Rally.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
kitphantom said:
We're in, @ Matterhorn.
We'll probably be there at least until Saturday, most likely arriving the Saturday before.
We're tossing around plans for DH, since he'd like to meet up with his bother again during the general time-frame of the Rally.
Great to hear Andrea.
We will also be at Matterhorn.
I just invited PopUpSteve and give him my info for Wagon Master.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The Rally is a great excuse to explore that section of Colorado a bit more than we've done.

It would be great to get PopUpSteve there too.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
kitphantom said:
The Rally is a great excuse to explore that section of Colorado a bit more than we've done.

It would be great to get PopUpSteve there too.

This area is great for exploring both on foot as well as 4x4. Some of the most scenic places in Colorado are near this area.

Bridal Veil Falls
images

NJGuy

Super Active Member
Apr 20, 2010
We will try to fit the Rally into our annual 2 week San Juan Mountains and beyond vacation.

Kim Ciara

Trout Tickler
Jul 5, 2009
Colorado mountains!
Ok. So I had to miss the 2013 rally. So sorry! Couldn't get off work!

I'll most likely make this one! LOTS of PTO, and doggie and I are ready for another great time with good friends, good food, and a bottle of single-malt scotch!

BEAR! I need more campfire conversations about UFO's and things that go "bump" in the night! What fun!

(Bear is the KING of 'on the edge of your seat' spookiness about a campfire!) hahaha

Count me in. Barring an economic collapse, I'll be there, with my side-kick, Bonnie, the ever-barking lap-sitter/face-licker.

There had better be some really good fishing. And some above-average spooky story-telling! Or else... I might just have to... fabricate some spooky story on my own.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Kim-
Glad you think you'll be there, we missed you this year, even though we completely understood why it didn't work for you in 2013.

Great pic of a waterfall. We'll have to see how much hiking and rough-roading my back will take, but have already been looking the area up in our resources. Having an entire wall of hiking, camping and field guides is great, Colorado takes up 2 or 3 shelves. Then there is the huge file cabinet of topo maps and entire state collections on CD! (Have I mentioned we like information?)
I may be running a shuttle for DH, and BIL if he makes it to the area, to hike a 14er.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Kim
Great to hear!
You and Bonnie where missed this last year.
Don't worry about the fish as the Delores is one of the best in Colorado as well as very little pressure from fisherman.
I think I will have a few more stories to tell.
Humming mountains and three legged cows [:O].

Andrea time for a paper topo intervention! [LOL] [LOL]
Here is the FalconView open source software web page you can install that will do away with all those paper topos. And if you need more detailed maps let me know as this is what I do for a living.
I maintain flight/mission planning systems.
http://www.falconview.org/trac/FalconView/downloads

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
bearman512-
I'll pass the link on to DH, but we're dinosaurs - we actually like paper maps. Doesn't mean that we don't refer to other sources, or print sectional maps on occasion, but we like paper.
We each have a GPS, but it is in addition to map and compass. Good habit (we think), since Courtenay's GPS died on a back country trip last year.
I bet he'll love to chat maps with you.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
kitphantom said:
bearman512-
I'll pass the link on to DH, but we're dinosaurs - we actually like paper maps. Doesn't mean that we don't refer to other sources, or print sectional maps on occasion, but we like paper.
We each have a GPS, but it is in addition to map and compass. Good habit (we think), since Courtenay's GPS died on a back country trip last year.
I bet he'll love to chat maps with you.

I love paper maps too Andrea, but it seems I would always damage or destroy my maps because I'm to cheap to buy the coated ones [LOL]
This is an easy way to store them and then print on cheap paper.
You folks aren't dinasours just realists knowing all that electronic stuff we carry will run out of power and we are left with map and compass!!

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Just waking folks up before the holidays.
We need at least 2 more to commit but this can wait until January 28, After the 28th the reservations start and will likely go quickly.
I know we won't have a problem with folks commiting as I am just bored today! [:D]

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
Would love to do that one BUT a bit over committed at the moment and need to see whether we can put together 4 Corners this next year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
ChocoChock01 said:
Would love to do that one BUT a bit over committed at the moment and need to see whether we can put together 4 Corners this next year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Brian I will post in the 4 corners thread.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We'll make that a week-long trip, arriving on Saturday, the 26th. I already have a note on Jan. 26 to make the reservations. We're looking forward to it.

Hotpeper

Jul 4, 2009
Hi all,

Sorry we could not make this year's rally.
Our first rally was last year and met some great people.
Sorry we most likely will not make the 2014 rally.
Due to health reasons my DW, DS and DD( mostly DW) said to get rid of the popup or no more camping ( I had to agree).
Went to the dark side, had a great popup but after setting up and tear down it would do me in.
Traded the popup for a hard side.
Would like to go to further rally's if the hard side is okay.
Traded the popup on a Jayco White Hawk last month, hoping for a first trip in May of 2014.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Hi Alex -
Of course you guys are welcome, "even" in a TT. I love camping with canvas, albeit on wheels, but we'll probably have to move to a TT eventually, depending on how my blown-out back and cranky joints hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.