2014 5th Annual Colorado Rally Telluride Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
robertswife said:
Our boys are 9 and 11. It would be a better experience for them (and us!) if they have kids their age to run around with.

Also, they like to bring their air rifles when we camp, are their any restrictions around guns at these events? Are there places where they can ride bikes too? Nothing off road, just nice trails.

If you mean Airsoft type guns then they are no problem and I will have to bring my sniper version so I can tag them before they get near my camp. [LOL]
If you mean BB/Pellet gun then they will have to leave the campground to shoot.
They can ride there at the campground and I think there are some trails there or there is a dirt road that takes you up to Priest Lake with plenty of places along the way for trails.
 

colorado_camper

Super Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
852
Denver, Colorado
Probably not going to be able to make it this year, I'm sorry to say. Work commitments are going to keep us tied down. We're not even booking any trips this year (apart from one to Utah in June) and we plan to go last-minute boondocking when we can. If things do line up and we have a chance to come, we'll possibly show up unannounced.
 

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
colorado_camper said:
Probably not going to be able to make it this year, I'm sorry to say. Work commitments are going to keep us tied down. We're not even booking any trips this year (apart from one to Utah in June) and we plan to go last-minute boondocking when we can. If things do line up and we have a chance to come, we'll possibly show up unannounced.

Sorry to hear, in this day and time jobs are very important.
Unannounced will be great if you can.
BEAR
 

duncanlt

New Member
Apr 19, 2012
6
Hi all,
My better half and I missed last year. Because of my stupid job, and all those stupid companies that want me to pay them money. For my house and food and lights and stuff. But I should be in the homeland for this years event. I went to the website to reserve for that week but I didn't see anything available on line, am I missing something or does it have to be called in? I'm sure the answer is in the posts somewhere, just don't really have time to read through it all right now (stupid job).
VR duncan
 

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
13,640
Albuquerque, NM
Looks like there are maybe only first-come, first-served available at Matterhorn, at least on a quick search on recreation.gov. s seems to be one of the campgrounds with a fairly small portion of the sites on the reservation service.
I think Bearman512 said there is also at-large camping nearby, at Priest Lake.

I do hope you guys can come to the Rally.
 

duncanlt

New Member
Apr 19, 2012
6
Thanks for the help. The weekends looked booked for the available on line sites...so I booked us in for Tue thru Thursday. In spot 27. That gives us a few days to find a place for the remainder. Or hopefully there will be a walk up site we like that we can just switch to and stay for the duration. We had a great time the year before in the white river area and look forward to meeting everyone again.
VR duncan
 

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
duncanlt said:
Thanks for the help. The weekends looked booked for the available on line sites...so I booked us in for Tue thru Thursday. In spot 27. That gives us a few days to find a place for the remainder. Or hopefully there will be a walk up site we like that we can just switch to and stay for the duration. We had a great time the year before in the white river area and look forward to meeting everyone again.
VR duncan

Duncanlt I have added you to the attendee list and glad you can make it.
 

duncanlt

New Member
Apr 19, 2012
6
Thanks Bear,
I get back home to Colorado Springs in the first part of July, my better half, Tamasine can look at the menu list then and fill in any shortfall. BTW like your modern Chevron. Thanks for your service. The Force does a great job of keeping us well fed (and over regulated) out here in the dirt. Look forward to being in a cool green place, with lots of hospitality and friendship.
VR duncan
 

Mosbyranger

Onward, thru the fog...
May 29, 2009
1,069
Western Colorado
Been a while since I've been even close to active here. Anyway, been busy getting son ready to graduate, then on top of the jobs, we decided to move. Still in GJ, but found a one level house in a better neighborhood ( a whole story about that at the rally if you are interested). Soooo....after 29 years in one house we packed it all up and moved across town. All of it. Of course, the camper was the first thing over. Well, we are still trying to jam 3 levels of ...stuff...into one level. Ok,enough of that, I need to think bout something pleasant, so I'd like to reaffirm our presence at the rally at a boondocking site to be chosen when we get there. We still have elk ready to grill and by July we should be about needy to get outta town. Is it July yet?
MR
 

NJGuy

Super Active Member
Apr 20, 2010
2,353
DW will not have enough vacation time to attend. If I decide to attend, I will stay at Woods Lake Campground (USNFS) which is off State Highway 145 that goes towards Telluride.
 

Kim Ciara

Trout Tickler
Jul 5, 2009
545
Colorado mountains!
Hi all!

Well, it's been a while since I've posted here. Good reason for that, but won't go into it. Life has kept me busy.

I won't be able to attend this year's rally... I put in for vacation time in late-winter, and it was not approved, the dates I asked for, because another nurse beat me to those dates. *sigh* I just found this out a few days ago.

So my vacation plans are now set for the dates 'they' gave me... July 4 through the 15th, and possibly two more days tacked on at the end. If I don't use my PTO on the dates I have been given, I lose it.

The company I work for does not allow for PTO to be carried-over. If you don't use it by your 'hire date', then it just vanishes. No compensation or anything. You completely lose it. So I put in for the time I wanted, did not get it, and was given a time for my vacation. There's nothing I can do about that.

Also, took my truck (with camper) in for an oil-change, and it seems it needs pretty much the entire front-end replaced. Mechanic states $1800.00, and can't afford that until late July (if I'm lucky), or possibly a little later. Mechanic states if I drive it more than a few more miles, wheels start to fall-off. It'll get fixed before the end of summer, for certain. Just not now.

However, that won't stop my camping! I just got a Field and Stream Wilderness Lodge 3-person/3-season tent, and a nice twin-sized air mattress (has a battery-operated pump built into it), and will use the Jeep to get out for camping. It's been years (like 30 or so) since I've tent-camped, and honestly, I'm kinda' excited about it. I've got all the other gear for tent-camping, including a sleeping bag that's good down to 0-degrees! So my plan is to do some tent camping on my vacation. It'll just have to be close-to-home, as my Jeep is an '87, and although it's in great shape (pretty much everything has been replaced... pumps, hoses, belts, radiator, etc.), and has a "green light" from my mechanic that it's good to go, I'll have to limit my distance from home to one tank of gas for the several camping trips I'll be taking on my vacation. So will have to stay in the area. This is not an issue, as there are lots of places to camp within 100 miles of where I live, most of which I've never been to, most of which have lakes, rivers, or streams full of trout. So I'm doing the best I can to salvage a vacation out of my time-off. I'll plan on several three to four day trips.

So... sorry I can't attend the rally again this year. I'll miss seeing everyone again, and meeting the new people, too.

Have a great time, all, catch lots, have too much fun, and post lots of pics when you guys get back home.

See ya's

Kim
 

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
13,640
Albuquerque, NM
Sorry that you can't come this year. You've had quite the interesting couple of years [:(]

As long as you can handle the ground carrying all the tent and related stuff, and stay warm (I suggest some extra bedding on the air mattress, under the sleeping bag, it is amazing how much heat is lost through the mattress), sounds like you have a good plan.
 

Kim Ciara

Trout Tickler
Jul 5, 2009
545
Colorado mountains!
Hey... just a little update. My request to have my vacation time changed back to my original request (to attend the rally) is a no-go. Next year I'll have to put my request in on January 1st.

I bought a tent (Field and Stream Wilderness Lodge 3) and coleman air-mattress (with the self-contained 4 D-battery pump!). Everything else I already have.

Have dusted-off the dutch oven. *smile*

Made a decision yesterday to take my truck to the shop for the $1800.00 repairs to the front-end, and to use a credit card. [:!] Have been in "pay them all off mode" for almost a year. So guess I'll still have credit card debt after all. The truck will be ready by Tuesday next week.

My vacation begins July 4th, and will ten-camp, as well as camp in my usual style and comfort *laff*, just not at the rally. [:!] I'll still have to pinch pennies, 'cause I won't be using the credit card for gas, but am sure to have a good time.

Plan on camping at Skagway Reservoir, but not near the boat-ramp. Will canoe over to another part of the lake and tent camp there for two days. [DOG] Bonnie will like that. A friend and his two sons will do that trip, as well, so it'll be kinda' fun.

Will also spend a couple of nights at Tarryall Reservoir, which is also in the area.

I still have two day-passes I had won at a fishing tournament two years ago (The Frostbite Fish-off, and there's no expiration date! They're still good, and yes, have checked!)

So even though I'll not be at the rally, will be doing some camping and fishing on my wrong-timed vacation. When all of ya's are camping out there near Telluride, I'll be back at work. dang.

Have fun, all of ya's.

Kim
 

NJGuy

Super Active Member
Apr 20, 2010
2,353
Glad to hear you have salvaged a difficult work/vacation situation. Enjoy your camping!
 

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
Kim Ciara said:
Hey... just a little update. My request to have my vacation time changed back to my original request (to attend the rally) is a no-go. Next year I'll have to put my request in on January 1st.

I bought a tent (Field and Stream Wilderness Lodge 3) and coleman air-mattress (with the self-contained 4 D-battery pump!). Everything else I already have.

Have dusted-off the dutch oven. *smile*

Made a decision yesterday to take my truck to the shop for the $1800.00 repairs to the front-end, and to use a credit card. [:!] Have been in "pay them all off mode" for almost a year. So guess I'll still have credit card debt after all. The truck will be ready by Tuesday next week.

My vacation begins July 4th, and will ten-camp, as well as camp in my usual style and comfort *laff*, just not at the rally. [:!] I'll still have to pinch pennies, 'cause I won't be using the credit card for gas, but am sure to have a good time.

Plan on camping at Skagway Reservoir, but not near the boat-ramp. Will canoe over to another part of the lake and tent camp there for two days. [DOG] Bonnie will like that. A friend and his two sons will do that trip, as well, so it'll be kinda' fun.

Will also spend a couple of nights at Tarryall Reservoir, which is also in the area.

I still have two day-passes I had won at a fishing tournament two years ago (The Frostbite Fish-off, and there's no expiration date! They're still good, and yes, have checked!)

So even though I'll not be at the rally, will be doing some camping and fishing on my wrong-timed vacation. When all of ya's are camping out there near Telluride, I'll be back at work. dang.

Have fun, all of ya's.

Kim

Sad you cannot make it Kim but very glade you will have time for camping.
PM me when you plan on heading out and we might be able to join you.
 

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
We are getting close yee haa. [:D]
Just a friendly reminder that everone needs to bring thier own chairs and beverages to the potluck if you don't like cheap soda Sam's Club or Shasta.
We have paper plates and plasticware.
I will have my 10x10 gazebo and if someone else has one that we can use would be great.

Starting a new tradition, if you want to participate in the Silent Ranger Gift exchange let me know. $10 dollar limit for the gift, gag gifts are good but have to be camping related. [:D]
 

Hotpeper

Member
Jul 4, 2009
53
Hi all,

Had an issue over the 4th, slide out was damaged and will not be repaired before the rally.
We had to cancell our reservation.
Was looking forward to seeing everyone.

Alex and Cathy
 

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
Sorry to hear Hotpeper maybe next year.
As Kitphantom said we are now at 4, I have talked with some folks about coming but have not had a definitive answer.
Received all the goodies from PopUpSteve yesterday to give away to the participants.
Sadly I have noticed attendance this year has been down with many of the rallies and sure hope it turns back around.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Top