2015 - 6th Annual Colorado Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosbyranger

Onward, thru the fog...
May 29, 2009
Western Colorado
Well then, here it is. After discussions in and around the greater Telluride area it was decided that next years rally would be held at 30 mile campground by the Rio Grande reservoir. This campground is 30 miles outside of Creede Colorado. The tentative date is the week of July 13 2015. 30 mile is a great place if you like fishing, hiking, 4 wheeling and beautiful scenery. This is sort of a back to the future rally, as Colorado rally #2 was held there a few years ago. Ok, chime in and let's see how much interest there is in showing up and enjoying one of the nicest places in Colorado.

MR

Mosbyranger

Onward, thru the fog...
May 29, 2009
Western Colorado
Re: 6th annual Colorado Rally

Well, we have the usual suspects signed on. Now, we need some of the unusual ones to chime in. Really, 30 mile is a very cool place, I think it has everything a camper could want.
MR

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Guess not too many are wanting to plan for July yet. IIRC, reservations begin 6 months in advance, so Jan. 13 or thereabouts.

JetMech

Oct 4, 2012

Interested, we've never been to any rally's before. What do we need to do ?

Mosbyranger

Onward, thru the fog...
May 29, 2009
Western Colorado

Jet- first thing is already done, having a desire to attend. Reserving a campsite 6 months before the rally is a good idea, unless you want to boondock (easily done in this area). As the time gets closer and we get more interest we'll start planning a potluck dinner for everyone, hopefully without rain this year. It might be helpful to know how many people will be with you as we will need a minimum to be officially recognized as a pup rally. Other than that, just plan as you would for a regular camping trip and get ready to have a good time.
MR

JazzVinyl

Apr 24, 2013

Sandy and I are interested in attending, as well. We were at the 2013 rally at White Star, but could not attend the 2014 Telluride extravaganza.

We plan to book a site mid Jan...we have not been to 30 mile before, does anyone have site recommendations?

Looking forward...

--Bruce

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

It will be nice if you guys can make it. Thirty Mile is one of Courtenay's and my favorites. Two trails go into the Weminuche Wilderness from the campground itself, and others are nearby; Courtenay plans a backpack during our stay this year.
I think we have notes on the campsites, though we try for our favorite one first. What info are you interested in? There are two main loops, and a short spur. Our impression is the short spur tends to be pretty buggy. There is one section along the water, too.
We'll be making reservations as soon as we can. we finally decided to spend the entire week of vacation there, so will arrive Sat. 7/11 and leave Sunday 7/19.

JazzVinyl

Apr 24, 2013

Thank you, kitphantom...we will consider staying the full week. Will try and stay away from the short (skeeter) spur, thanks for that.

Courtenay's backpacking adventure into the Weminuche Wilderness sounds very exciting! Good for him!!

How do you like the new White Water Retro 177? We had one next to us, last year, at Vallecito, and thought it was a very fine rig.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

So far, so good on the Retro, though it seems huge on the road compared to our pups.
Since my back wouldn't tolerate a lot of the work of the pup any longer, my brain switched over quickly. My bonus is that it's cool-looking too.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Courtenay and I will be in site 13, beginning Saturday July 11 and leaving Sunday, July 19. It may be interesting to back the Retro into this site, it is a long driveway, though we've done it ground camping and with each of our pups.

As we double-checked the campground info, we found that the description of the campsites available on the USFS page does not completely agree with the reservation service map and listings, nor our notes/recollections. For instance, site 13 is listed in the USFS notes as a pull-though, but it is actually a back-in. The sizes of sites do seem to be in the ballpark. though do vary by some number of feet. The reservation service information agrees better with our information.
We decided we need to make a new set of notes on this campground, it appears the last time we did it was prior to routinely camping in a pup or TT.

JazzVinyl

Apr 24, 2013

We booked 002 from Sunday July 12 to Sunday July 19.

Have not been to 30 mile before, so we did not know anything about which site(s) were most/least desirable. Just went with what we make out from the ReserveAmerica site, and the fs.usda.gov page.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Site 2 will give you nice river's edge site. We've not stayed at that end, but often walk that loop several times a day.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM

Well we are now booked in site 16 Wed the 15th and will depart on the 19th.
We will be up at South Mineral CG north and west of Silverton prior to arriving at 30 mile. I want to do some offroad trails and Renata wants to do a hike to Iland lake.
Can't wait to see you all again.

We need some more folks to join us.

So far we have 3 confirmed with arrival and departure dates and camp site.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Glad that you guys will be there.
Courtenay and I need to explore a bit more in the Silverton/Ouray area, but that won't be this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.