2015 - 6th Annual Colorado Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

boondoggle

Dec 28, 2014
Shoot. I was just telling my wife that I read there are Colorado Pop Up Rallies.

However, we already booked a spot at one of our favorite lakeside spots up north from July 15-19.
Wouldn't ya know it. The one camping trip we already have on the books. We usually tent camp as we are just now buying our first pop up - going to pick it up on Saturday.

We'd cancel and come join you all (could probably get some good tips and ideas from fellow PUPers) but we have friends and their kids camping out with us.

Have fun and we look forward to making the 7th annual or maybe the quad state at Mesa Verde.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Have fun wherever you are camping. Watch the Portal for next year's Rally.
The Quad-State Rally was fun last year, so check it out. (DH & I probably won't make it this year, due to a fantastic trip he has a chance to take, though I'll try to get there solo if I can.)

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
Andrea, thank you again for the battery recharge!

But that is another story! [:D]

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
PopUpSteve has set it up so that I can do the attendee and potluck lists. Please PM the info when you make your plans and/or put on this thread, and also double-check that I enter your info correctly.
At the moment, I have use To Be Determined for potluck contributions.
I am also going on the assumption that the potluck will be Saturday night, but have not entered that on the even list.

Looking forward to the Rally and seeing/meeting everyone.

Mosbyranger

Onward, thru the fog...
May 29, 2009
Western Colorado
Ok, finally made some time and have reserved# 18 for the 13th thru the 18th. I know I'm supposed to be the wagon master for this event but, gosh, someone has stepped hard on the gas pedal of my life. I'll try to be more proactive and visit the portal more, and thanks to KP for stepping up.
MR

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Stinks when life interferes with camping, doesn't it?
Added you to the list. I'm looking forward to the Rally - and it will be interesting to see how the area is recovering after the fires of 2013.

RobertGreenlee

Mar 28, 2012
Looks like a great trip. I just wish we would plan one of these within a 2-3 hour drive of Denver. 4.5 hours to Creede makes it hard for us to make it.

Rob

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
RobertGreenlee said:
Looks like a great trip. I just wish we would plan one of these within a 2-3 hour drive of Denver. 4.5 hours to Creede makes it hard for us to make it.

Rob

Sorry to hear that RobertGreenlee. [:(]
IMHO anything less than 3 hours from Denver will have too many people and tourists. [:(O]
I attend almost every year and it is an 8 hour drive or more for us just to be around friends with similar interests. [:D]
Break the leash and come visit we will enjoy your company around the campfire. [{:)]
BEAR

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
kitphantom said:
PopUpSteve has set it up so that I can do the attendee and potluck lists. .......
I needed to step in for the WM as well, on the NV Spring Rally because of a medical incident. [:(]

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
@bearman512
Remind me of the area you suggested for a future Rally? In the same general area as Taylor Reservoir, but hot springs? and maybe multiple campgrounds to choose from?

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
kitphantom said:
@bearman512
Remind me of the area you suggested for a future Rally? In the same general area as Taylor Reservoir, but hot springs? and maybe multiple campgrounds to choose from?

That would be the Mt Princeton Hot Springs Resort the Chalk Creek Canyon/Campground is just west. There are 3 to 4 Campgrounds past the hot springs as you head west to St Elmo.
Salida is the nearest city.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks, I thought I'd gather some info for ourselves (it is an areas we haven't explored that much) and for future CO Rallies.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The fire stopped near the campground, but did not burn over it. It did burn over River Hill, a few miles down the road. I haven't been back since the fire. Friends from the gym ate lunch there last year, and though it was still pretty country.

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Hey all, been a will since anyone has posted here.
I may have bad news [{}=] but hope it turns into great news. [SUN]
I quit my job due to stress increase and did not want to suffer another stress related heart attack. [:(!]
I am waiting for the final word for a low stress job in Anchorage Alaska [:D] and if that doesn't pan out we will be moving to Denver [:D] as DW has a couple job offers and I will move into the civilian sector job market (sucks to throw away a high level security clearance!). Oh well I think we will both be happier and this is the point when someone pushes you off the cliff and you find out you can really fly.
You ask what this has to do with the rally?
If I get the job in Anchorage we will be able to attend [:D] on our way to Alaska. If not we will be moving to Denver and we will only attend Friday to Sunday. [8D]
Now I have a couple job offers in Texas but not sure I want to start deploying again. [:(O] If I take one of those positions we will not be able to attend. [:(]
Anyway let the fun begin. [LOL]

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We'll be glad to see you, however much of the Rally you guys can attend.
Sounds like you are having interesting times - no stress there!
One of my friends has a sister in Anchorage, and has commented on how many people have moved there from NM. Some of the pics are pretty, including the cabin on the Kenai, but personally, too much darkness during the winter, and I've done enough snow shoveling in my life already.
I'll be interested in seeing where you guys end up.

We are looking forward to the Rally. Everyone has been quiet about it, so I hope we are just being quiet and have a nice Rally. We leave on our first trip of the year on Friday, and the CO Rally will be the last trip on our calendar. (We hope to get out at least once in NM in August.)

NM_Alien

New Mexico: Not really new and not really Mexico..
May 28, 2015
Albuquerque, NM
I would love to join you all but I had made previous reservations to camp at Hopewell Lake in northern NM, even before I knew I was buying a pup. The area for this rally is exactly what I like with the high mountains, 4WD trails and lots of great fishing opportunities. Too bad I'll miss this year. It's been several years since I've seen Andrea and Courtenay after people at church lost interest in the annual camping trip in the Pecos Wilderness and it was discontinued. I will do my best to pay attention for the 2016 rally.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We move the Rally each year, though it was at Thirty Mile the first year we attended. It was one of our favorite campgrounds even before that Rally, partly because Courtenay can backpack into the Weminuche Wilderness from the campground or another TH nearby.
Don't worry, we'll try to get enough reminders out there for next year!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The 2015 Colorado Rally will be here before we know it - how did it get to be almost mid-June already!

Right now, it looks like we have 4 sites confirmed (I know bearman512 is uncertain, though), unless I missed entering someone. None of us has a stated contribution to the pot luck, yet. DH & I can do sloppy joes, rolls for them and chips and salsa.

Anyone else planning/hoping to join us? I'll update the database as I get new information. Wagonmaster Mosbyranger will chime in as he can, I'm sure.

We will also entertain suggestions as to location for the 2016 Rally. The tradition has been to try to move it around the state, and have it somewhere reservations can be made, with boondocking in the area. (Personally, I'd love to go back to the Flat Tops, but I'm sure there are other great places DH and I have not yet discovered - the Flat Tops Rally was in a totally new area to us.)

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
July is here, so the Colorado Rally is less than 2 weeks away. We'd love to see new and familiar faces there, for however much of the Rally people can manage.
DH is plotting his backpack into the Weminuche, but there is much more to do in the area than heavy-duty hiking - fishing, day hiking and just relaxing in camp all come to mind.
According to the visitor's guide we picked up last week, the Thirty Mile area was not as burned as some of the other areas in the West Fork Fire Complex a couple of years ago and the vegetation is now in the recovery stage (can you say new wildflowers?). The dam just upstream from Thirty Mile Campground is undergoing renovation of some sort, but that seems not to have any effect on the campground itself, nor the streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.