2015 Greater Kansas City spring campout

Status
Not open for further replies.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
Is the road to pomona open now?? I was wanting to check it out butWe went thru there on the way back from Melvern and could not get to it by going west on the road that Leeds to the dam because the road was closed. Had to take the 14 mile detour.. Had to go across the dam which I hated doing!!! All GRAVEL. I hate gravel!! I have been thinking about this also. there seems to be more and more people from our area showing up. Im over here by the stadiums in KC. We stayed at Melvern and LOVED it. Eisenhower sp. I would be interested for sure! We are lake people and bring 3 kayaks and 2 paddleboards with us when we camp and are on the lake most of the day, Just me and my wife, no kids or dogs. I hope other chim in on this !!

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
good its open then! We got just past the dam road and the road was closed going to the state park from that way which is all pavement. Is the campsights close to the water where you might be able to launch a kayak from your campsight? Melvern where we stayed, forgot the name of the one but i think it was churchill has parralell campsight that face the water but we had to go across the dam to the south side to launch. Lots of good fishing there. Caught lots of smallmouth.

slowfatknitter

Aug 31, 2009
Louisburg, Kansas
There were sites available next to the water...several playgrounds and a nice bath house. I've got the camp information in the truck. I'll dig it out and see when the camp ground reopens. It would be nice to meet others mid westerners.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
I looked at the websight. Was not real impressed. Looks like a tourism trap more than a campground. I hope others chime in. WE have lots of campgrounds within 2 hours of us. The only issue I have camping is I work every other Saturday. [:(] Pomona or Melvern sounds good on the Kansas side. We have Truman, Stockton, and Pomme De Terre all within a half hour of each other.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
When the Rules pertain to consuming mass quantities of alcohol count me out.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
Thats a nice place. First place we went to test out the pup. Only 45 minutes from my house and they have a nice little 100 acre lake and good walking trail. Family oriented and good for a weekend getaway. We have time for more people to get on board.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
I'm being a little premature here as I don't yet own a PUP, but I'm planning on making a purchase in the next couple months.
I think Pomona would be a great site. The wife and I have been down there a few times with our tent. We like the Wolf Creek Campground on the North side of the lake. There's also the Michigan Valley, which is right below the dam and adjacent to the swimming beach -- well suited for kids. These are both Corps of Engineers sites and are pretty much right on the water.

Regarding the road, I believe it has reopened. But if you're not in a hurry a nice drive from Kansas City is to get off I-35 at Gardner and follow US-56 through Baldwin to Overbrook then turn south to Pomona. It's a few more miles and takes longer, but the roads are good it's a nice, relaxing drive if you have the time.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
I think that's the state park on the south side. I just don't like going over the dam on gravel from the south going north. Can you get there from the north without going in the gravel roads. Its all over to the state park.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
tconroy said:
I think that's the state park on the south side. I just don't like going over the dam on gravel from the south going north. Can you get there from the north without going in the gravel roads. Its all over to the state park.
I think pomona state park is on the south side and has a swim beach and a boat launch. I plan on going there first chance I get to check it out. It gets very windy on the north side of the lake also. We were at Melvern ( Eishenhower state park) and had to go to the south side of the lake by the marina to kayak out of the wind.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
tconroy said:

I don't know where you're coming from but if you take the route I describe above, you don't have to go over the dam. I tried to create a map for you, but it didn't work. :-(

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
I will be headed south on 35 towards louisburg. that way. I will look on the map and see. I think there is a 291 or something coming in from the other way the campgrounds are nice by the swim beach and right on the water. I will also check to see it they are elec. sights. we did lay out at the swim beach and fished back past the Marina where the quarry is.

dougkelly1

Mar 12, 2014
[TV] [PU] Watkins mill is really nice place to camp, we camp there at least 2 times a year.. would love to join a family friendly rally. this would be our first rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts