2015 Greater Kansas City spring campout

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowfatknitter

Aug 31, 2009
Louisburg, Kansas
Last Cygne power plant lake has nice camp grounds. Clean, bath house, fishing, no swimming. Very reasonable. And, you could reserve Lily Pad Loop. Has electric, water and playground.

COdreaming

Mar 26, 2013
We'd be interested in a KC rally. Watkins Mill is our "go to" campground. It has some of the nicest bathrooms we've seen in a campground. They also do Ranger talks with the children (parents/adults are also invited) on Friday and Saturday nights. My kids love it! Keep us updated!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
Gold Supporting Member
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
So whatever became of this idea? Nothing? Anything?
I hardily endorse the idea of an area rally this fall or next spring, and Pomona's state park side would have my vote. Of all the options mentioned in this thread, I think it has the best potential to provide good facilities, pleasant recreation, and elbow room. We were there in June or July for a weekend, and we had the RV section to ourselves aside from a TTer who set up camp, then drove off and returned with a television in a box that he took into the trailer and was never seen again.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
I was at pomona in June and there was only 1 other camper + the host there. The bathrooms were not pleasant, and only 1 shower stall. We stayed at Big Bear and you had to drive up to the other campsight to use it. Im planning on going out there again in the end of sept or first of october and try the one I think it is Kansa over by the marina. If you look at the reservation websight it would be hard to get several spots together at Watkins mill. They are always busy and a really nice place for kids, dogs and family type camping. We love to kayak the little 100 acre lake and walk the dog around the campground. I think a mid october one might be better. Smithville is another good one with clean bathrooms and lots of showers plus flush toilets at the campsight. It is first come first severed but I think the will take reservations for groups. Im headed to Pomme de terre for 6 nights starting on labor day so that is all I can think about right now. [:D]

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
Gold Supporting Member
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
We're going to Wallace SP in Missouri for the weekend. We got the last site, and the Web says its grade is too steep for TTs. Could be interesting. Might be a nice rally CG.

We were at Osage Campground at Pomona, or I guess it's called Vassar SP. The lakeside primitive sites were full, but everything else was basically empty. Yeah, I guess there were only one or two showers. One for sure because I used it.

Formerly we tented on the Corps side of the lake a lot, but the RV sites on that side appeared to draw a crowd every weekend, and it was basically a parking lot. It was nice for launching no-wake craft, though, because the lakeside sites had gentle grades to the water. We had a small sailboat or two back then, but I eventually wearied of pasttime when I realized that in 20 years of sailing I'd had only one truly safe and satisfying day of sailing, and on that outing I got a severe sunburn so the actual count was zero.

DW wants to get a kayak or two, although she seems somewhat less enthused anytime we're actually looking at them for purchase. I'm thinking canoe.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
We love to kayak and have to have water close by. Smithville would be a good rally spot if we could make reservations and agree on a spot. They have LOTS of campsights and most are very close to the water at crows creek and all flushable toilets. There are probabably 20 shower stalls in the shower house. Let me know how wallace is. We are at pomme starting monday with only 1 other camper in the campground all week and they have the handicap spot at the other end. We dont have kids just a small dog that goes everywhere with us. camping kayaking, fishing. We do enjoy watkins mill and watching the kids have fun rididng thier bikes

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
Watkins mill has several good sights together for the october 10th weekend. I only get every other weekend off. On the sept. 26th weekend they dont have many together but dont know how many we would even need. Im just hoping it doesnt rain!!! We have been rained on, and rained once this year ahve have been rained on every camping trip so far. Everybody take a look and see what dates work for ya. who knows, we might be able to pull this off.

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
Gold Supporting Member
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
That is Columbus Day weekend, so that might work. I can agree that Watkins Mill is probably well-suited for a rally. I'll know more about our plans after DW returns from California later tonight. Thanks for your ideas.

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
Gold Supporting Member
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
OK, DW has greenlighted Watkins Mill for Columbus Day weekend, Oct. 10-13. I'm ready to reserve a spot, but has anyone else got ideas on the best sites to select if we aspire to draw, say, 4 to 6 camping units to our gathering? If I get no replies, I'll just book what looks good to me and see whether I can whip up some interest. Thanks!

dougkelly1

Mar 12, 2014
We love Watkins mill and we will be there just need to book the site we want will probably be the handy capped site by the shower house. [PU] :)

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
I hope my wife hears from work soon on her travel dates or it might just be me and the dog!! If we can find a spot! [:(]

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
Gold Supporting Member
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
Three couples got together for campfires and a potluck on Friday and Saturday of this Columbus Day weekend at Watkins Mill north of Kansas City. We had a great time meeting each other, and we are trying to plan a second gathering for the spring. We plan to do our best to make this an "official" rally and invite many more to join us.

Stay tuned.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
thanks to Uncle mark for putting this together! We had a great time and cant wait to do it in the future. I hope the word gets out so we can have an official rally for KC this spring.

Maggiemoo

Jul 16, 2014
We are sitting around the campfire at Watkins Mill right now and we were discussing how fun a rally would be. I had not noticed this thread before. We are definitely interested in a KC area rally. Smithville does reserve for groups, otherwise it is first come, first served. I haven't been there but I know another group that went. Watkins Mill reserves 6 months in advance so that is April right now.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
We had 3 last weekend and 1 lurker that showed up, wish you could have found this thread before than. It takes 5 to have an official rally. Stay tuned because we are planning a spring rally and taking a poll on when and where folks would want to go this spring. Anywhere is fine with me. there is plenty of good camping on both sides of the line. smithville would be good if they considered 5 campers a group event and would reserve us.Hopefully we can pick up a few more by than! I know Mark will get this so we can add you to the list. I have next weekend off so I'm hoping to get out 1 more time! thanks for chiming in! [:D]

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
Gold Supporting Member
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
We're not an official rally yet, but we invite you to reserve a site at Clinton Lake State Park Campground One west of Lawrence, Kansas, for a campout on April 24-26. Four portal members have already reserved sites, two more members have committed to attending, and many more sites remain available for reservations.

IMPORTANT: As soon as five members have reservations, Pop-Up Portal can declare this an official rally, and the event will get all kinds of publicity on the portal.

"Why is that important?" you ask.

<----- Look at the left side of the screen. See the scrolling list of OFFICIAL Upcoming Rallies? When our rally is listed there, and when we get our own special spot on this forum for planning, the planning committee (which will grow over time, we hope) can do stuff other than recruit participants. Then we can focus on planning potlucks and hikes and birdwatching walks and a "Parade of Homes" and campfires and rock-skipping contests and a seminar on changing out sacrificial heating elements from water heaters. Or whatever.

Here is the link to reserve a site:
http://tinyurl.com/p5yad97

Here is the google map: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.9335939,-95.365332//@38.9334437,-95.364581,15z

Have I mentioned that we are working on making this an Official Popup Portal Rally? If you reserve a campsite, please let unclemark know by sending a PM or by posting a reply in this thread. If you plan on coming without reserving a site, let unclemark know.

Please join us! The Organizing Committee is unclemark, tconroy, dougkelly1, Civilactgal, kellyk5.

Most of these people are genuinely nice, friendly, enjoyable folks, and the other one is comically grumpy. [A] So you'll have a wonderful time with all of us.

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
Gold Supporting Member
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
The good news is that we have at least four sites reserved, and we are well on our way to being an official rally.

But: Campsites are filling up quickly in Campground 1, with only 19 hook-up sites remaining for reservations on April 24-26.

That's not a big problem because CG1 has plenty of walk-up sites AND Campground 3 (with additional reservation and walk-up sites) is quite close to Campground 1. I don't think we'll have a space crunch. Still, if you want to join in, a reservation is a great idea.

So far, participants have mostly been communicating on the messenger feature of the forum, not on the open threads. A group of campers have clustered at A27, A28, A32, and I have selected A75, farther away. The clustered group is near newly renovated showers, a group shelter, and one of the trailheads. This area also has a view of the lake, through the trees. That's likely to be the focus of much of the weekend's activities. Three reservation sites remain near this group: 29, 30, and 31. In my area (farther from the lake), seven reservation sites remain as of this evening.

A link to the online reservation system is here: http://tinyurl.com/p5yad97 See the original post for other links and info.

Although I think the identity of everyone attending will become known on the open forum eventually, I'll let participants announce themselves here if they wish.

Oh, and I'm the only candidate so far for "Wagon Master." But the vote is not unanimous, and apparently some people (DW, for example) are sitting out the vote, so it's anybody's race. [:D]

I anticipate fewer posts and messages for the remainder of this week, but I'll start, uh, cracking the whip again next weekend, when I'll start moving forward with the forum's requirements for making the rally official. But if you get some spare moments to reserve a site this week, sign up!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.