2016 Quad-State Rally Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoomi

I write everything the voices in my head tell me.
Jul 20, 2012
I need to wade through the other topic and get myself a reasonable roster of those attending.

As a back-up, if you are planning on coming to the rally, chime in here with your site number, how many in your party, and what you're planning on bringing to the Saturday evening potluck (if you're planning on attending the potluck).

I'm currently on tap to take the reins as Wagon Master this year, and we'll be in Site 25, arriving on Thursday, June 16th. We're likely going to take a day trip down to Zion on Friday, so if you arrive mid-day on Friday and we're not around, we'll be back before it gets too late.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I'm solo, in site 33, arriving Thursday; from an overnight stop in/near Flagstaff.
I'll pick up some fruits and maybe veggies on my way through Flagstaff, for the potluck. I also have plenty of paper goods if you want me to bring those.
I have 3 or 4 tables of various sizes. If the new table canopy works when we try it, I can bring that.
I'm planning on heading to North Rim for a while on Friday. The aspen are leafing out now, it will be interesting to see the changes between visits.

niagarafam

Super Active Member
Jan 25, 2014
This would be an amazing rally to attend! Your location options are basically our "bucket list." Maybe we can make it next year or the following. We are going to miss it by a bit. We will be in Santa Fe 7/3-7/15. Have a blast! We will look for pictures.
M&K

Hoomi

I write everything the voices in my head tell me.
Jul 20, 2012
For those who'd like to see some photos from the last Rally held at Jacob Lake, back over Labor Day Weekend, 2014, check out the photo topic here:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=88605.0

For activities, Zion National Park is about 80 miles away from Jacob Lake, through the scenic town of Kanab, Utah, about 40 miles away. Just outside of Kanab is Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument, with stunning rock formations and scenery. Grand Canyon North Rim is about 45 miles away. The Arizona National Scenic Trail crosses the 89A just a few miles east of the campground, offering nearby hiking opportunities of whatever distance you feel comfortable with, as the ANST stretches some 800 miles from the Utah Border to the Mexico Border. There is a short nature trail connecting to the campground as well that is an enjoyable hike.

Across the 89A from the campground is a gas station, lodge, and mini-market/gift shop. Just beyond that is a National Forest information center, with displays on the local forest, maps, some souvenirs, and rangers that can answer most questions you might have about the area.

Further east down the 89A takes you by the Vermillion Cliffs and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, before the highway crosses over the Colorado River. The 89A joins the 89, with southbound taking you across the Reservation to Flagstaff, while northbound takes you to the city of Page and Lake Powell.

The campground is around 8000' above sea level, so despite the June dates, the temperature tends to stay cooler than the valleys below. This week, the weather forecast is calling for daytime highs in the low 80s, with overnight lows in the low 50s to high 40s. On our previous stays at the campground, we've found it to be well maintained and a nice place to stay. There is no Shore Power for trailers or direct water hook-ups. Water is available from standpipes, and campground bathroom facilities are vault toilets. On previous stays, we have found that the bathrooms are kept quite clean and well stocked, so despite not being the most modern plumbing, they were not unpleasant.

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
niagarafam said:
This would be an amazing rally to attend! Your location options are basically our "bucket list." Maybe we can make it next year or the following. We are going to miss it by a bit. We will be in Santa Fe 7/3-7/15. Have a blast! We will look for pictures.
M&K
Maybe next year!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We spent last week at North Rim. The aspen were in varying stages of leafing out, so it will be neat to re-visit to see how much more they're out. The bison herd was near the Park entrance, with babies. The condors were out in the burn area on Rt 67, south of Jacob Lake, one morning.
The Lodge has great cookies and milkshakes.
We drove out one day, backtracking to Navajo Bridge. You can walk across the river and back on the original bridge, though I'm not sure that really counts as a Rim-to-Rim. I've been told the condors sometimes hang out there too. We also visited Lees Ferry, where the raft trips launch. it was close to 100, so we moved slowly.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
If I sorted it all out correctly, it looks like :
Hoomi, site 25 beginning Thursday
shuang2, site 27 beginning Friday
kitphantom, site 33, beginning Thursday

One loop is reservable, the other FCFS, so if anyone else wants to join us....

Status
Not open for further replies.