2021 Towing Miles

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I did the math for my primary TV for the year. I only drove it 8900 miles. 2800 were towing the TT. 1100 were towing the boat. 100 or so were towing a dump trailer. I think that works out to about 45% of the annual miles being with something on the hitch.

It's a one ton truck. I could get by with a properly equipped 1/2 ton and good WDH for the TT. A compact pickup, even a 4 cylinder, would pull the boat. However, those 6 short trips I pulled the dump trailer I had between 12k and 15k behind me. I needed a big truck.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
So long as most of those miles were camping you did good. [:D]. Make it earn it's keep. If I listed everything I put my SUV through it would probably shudder, but she has done well and still holding strong. Well worth the money I paid. To me that is more important, to physically use something fully that you paid good money for.

Happy new year.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
be careful with dump runs, it is easy to get too much mass in the trailer and put yourself at risk of sway on the highway (speaking frm my own scary experience)

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We learned with our first pup, the hard way, to keep tabs on towing mileage. This post made me add the numbers for 2021. We towed 4750 miles in 2021; it would have been another 1000 if we'd taken the trip in November. We'll see how 2022 goes.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
be careful with dump runs, it is easy to get too much mass in the trailer and put yourself at risk of sway on the highway (speaking frm my own scary experience)
I was talking about a trailer with a hydraulic dump bed, not a trailer full of junk headed to the dump...lol. It was built by design to handle very heavy loads. The way its built, it would be tough to put too much weight behind the axles. Most of the trailer is in front of the front tires. There is very little trailer behind the rear tires.

Last edited:

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
I did 2800 miles of towing with my popup last year. I drove the vehicle 4000 miles in that time. I total about 8000 miles a year between my two vehicles (2008 Outback XT, and 1995 Bronco 5.8L XLT). The Bronco will get about 5500 miles on it this year, so that works out to mean I tow with it about 50% of its miles. The rest of its miles come from when I need a general utility vehicle, or when the snow is really deep. The rest of the time (including average snowfall, and skiing in the winter) I drive the Outback.

I work from home, so no commute. Just some nearby school pick-ups and drop-offs every day.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Lol, you made me count. About 4200 miles towing this year! ( the disney trip added half that). I never thought about millage. But I know we took a few long trips this year. And cancled some also.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I don't have to count. My primary TV stores info for up to 10 trailers. I make a note of the mileages at the beginning of a new year.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
We only towed on one trip last year, about 750 miles round trip. Some of it was squiggly at an angle if that counts for anything (Trinity Alps back country). :p

Mtlangst

Jun 14, 2019
Central, Illinois
We did a little over 10,000miles in 2021. I big trip all through the SW. another one down to Gulf Shores. Another trip out East then upstate NY. Almost 50 nights camping. I think i am going to be an OTR trucker when I retire.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
I put on 17,000 miles in the past year. Roughly 6,000 were towing miles. I took a chance based on recommendations and discovered the 3.5 turbo to be great power for towing. The 6.5' bed is great on the road, not so much in parking lots. A 36 gallon tank will be a necessity now. And finally Ford Trailer Back up Assist is the greatest thing since automatic transmissions.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Towing mileage last year was about 110 km's.. thats it..

Driving mileage for work was about 41000 km's.. and $5800 in gas ( just going to and from work) and that is what I had receipts for, probably closer to $7000 or more if I count the number of fill ups with no receipt..

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Snow, there's an app for that. I use Fuelio for Android.