A somewhat sad experience during our last camping event :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
There are a-holes everywhere. Try to control the things you can... for example, couldn't they have gotten up and moved to another table? If he followed them, they could then speak up and ask for help.

I certainly wouldn't write off the whole campground over one a-hole camping there. You yourself said you don't know how they could have handled it better.

As for those saying call law enforcement... for what? What laws were broken here? Unfortunately being an a-hole isn't against the law. Or maybe fortunately, since we all are once in awhile.
Pedofile perhaps. Adults conversing with children after the parent says to stop is harassment.
Disorderly conduct, public intox, causing fear and panic for young children.

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
to me, THAT'S the difference between a "CAMPER" and a "RECREATIONAL VEHICLE" (RV)

We CAMP... the "recreation" comes from being recharged by nature, NOT by being involved with other people .

used to be that the folks we ran into, while camping, pretty much had the same mind set... a love, respect for nature and self sufficient skills... kind of the "I tip my hat to you" attitude.... not so much anymore... the rise in RV'ing has allowed people to bring their "crap" with them... be it physical crap or psychological crap.

being "campers", my family knows how to protect and defend themselves from CREATURES...both 4 legged and the 2 legged kind... to recognize a dangerous situation and how (and when) to extract themselves from it... the good Lord gave all of us an innate "knower"... instincts...

being a "camper" has allowed us to hone that "knower" unencumbered by all the "noise" of society and it's "accoutrements"

Happy Trails!

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
So sorry this went down. Drunks can have that edge to them--playful/stupid until they feel wronged in some way then they lash out. I can understand that your family felt trapped for the moment because they are probably very nice folks and didn't want to cause a scene. Some people in society take advantage of your civilized behavior and cross your boundaries. Sad that we have to assert ourselves against adult bad behavior.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Maybe someone could have explained that they did not know him, mentioned that they were there to have a evening with the children, and asked him to find another place to sit. My experience with people like this is that they will go find someone else to bother, they just need a little nudge, or a big push, in the correct direction.
My wife would've nudged him. Onto his butt. She's an accomplished martial artist and doesn't take any crap. He would've gotten a stern warning and then a swift kick to the back of his head if he persisted. She was assaulted a long time ago, pulled between two buildings and the guy began to fondle her, and then she broke his face. Left him unconscious and bleeding.

It's good to have coms. In the future if you're not with her and the kids, make sure they all have an FRS (ham radio is even better; get your tech tickets). She'd issue him a warning, go away, and then call you and the dogs to visit. You could either issue him another warning or call uncle LEO.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
Pedofile perhaps. Adults conversing with children after the parent says to stop is harassment.
Disorderly conduct, public intox, causing fear and panic for young children.
Did the parent ask him to stop? Some people are overly friendly and are more so at a campground and add alcohol. It would be worse if he was talking to the children without the mother present. Sounds like he was just trying to be nice and probably flirt with the mom.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Did the parent ask him to stop? Some people are overly friendly and are more so at a campground and add alcohol. It would be worse if he was talking to the children without the mother present. Sounds like he was just trying to be nice and probably flirt with the mo
Did the parent ask him to stop? Some people are overly friendly and are more so at a campground and add alcohol. It would be worse if he was talking to the children without the mother present. Sounds like he was just trying to be nice and probably flirt with the mom.

No idea. This is why I try not to allow them to be outside my field of view.

Strange way to try to be nice.
And never flirt with with another man's wife. (I guess you could assume he didn't know.. but he himself was there with another woman...)

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
My wife would've nudged him. Onto his butt. She's an accomplished martial artist and doesn't take any crap. He would've gotten a stern warning and then a swift kick to the back of his head if he persisted. She was assaulted a long time ago, pulled between two buildings and the guy began to fondle her, and then she broke his face. Left him unconscious and bleeding.

It's good to have coms. In the future if you're not with her and the kids, make sure they all have an FRS (ham radio is even better; get your tech tickets). She'd issue him a warning, go away, and then call you and the dogs to visit. You could either issue him another warning or call uncle LEO.
yeah @Hilldweller ... don't mess with my DW... she scares the crap out of me!!... and, when it comes to her whelps,.... well, don't mess with momma bear!!!

agreed on the COMMS... plus, nobody went out without, at least, a walking stick and a whistle... plus, they didn't get their "Totin' Chip" for nothing.... even DDs [taught by me and their brothers]

Happy Trails!

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
I really think that the sad truth was, the woman who gave him the money for the bingo cards, was probably stuck watching this guy, and he probably couldn't be left by himself at the site, so, voila.. He also apparently had some kind of thing around his neck that was like a vape canister (or other).

The part that was most frustrating for me was, I'd just been talking to my wife via text, and my oldest daughter had just won on the first round, before this all went down. I was never sent any warnings or concerns about the environment at that point, and since I'm not a phone junkie, and, I've never had that scenario in my time camping, I put my phone on the charger. I was also close enough to the pavilion where I could hear the #s being called, so, I thought all bases were covered. Guess now, after 50 years of camping, I get to change my game.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
It was never mentioned that he was asked to stop. The rest is more than a little of a stretch ("fear and panic"?)
My wife was never rude and said "knock it off". She did, however, make it clear from her face that he was being annoying when she answered his questions. She did end up packing them up and leaving, though.

In today's world, I'm glad she did not tell him to bluntly stop, since he could have simply pulled out a gun and started shooting.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
My wife was never rude and said "knock it off". She did, however, make it clear from her face that he was being annoying when she answered his questions. She did end up packing them up and leaving, though.

In today's world, I'm glad she did not tell him to bluntly stop, since he could have simply pulled out a gun and started shooting.
I think that you need to steer clear of this campground. I think in some campgrounds with many seasonal campers the drunks get to comfortable and are trying to relive their boy scout days.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Yes I'm sure that was his next planned move...

Drunk people aren't the best at reading facial subtleties...
Can't say it wasn't or was, or whether he could read facial expressions, it doesn't matter.
Maybe he just values his own entertainment and enjoyment by watching other people suffer and be unhappy.
We call those people selfish asshats. Where the world only revolves around what they want.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Can't say it wasn't or was, or whether he could read facial expressions, it doesn't matter.
Maybe he just values his own entertainment and enjoyment by watching other people suffer and be unhappy.
We call those people selfish asshats. Where the world only revolves around what they want.

Absolutely. Which takes me back to the point I made on my first reply to this thread: You can't change other people. You CAN change you you react to other people... such as moving away from them when they start causing you annoyance.

I'm not trying to come off as uncaring here. The guy was (by this description anyway) clearly an a-hole. But the original question was "what could the campground have done differently", and again based on what was described, not much. The family didn't alert any employee to the situation while it was happening, and when it WAS brought to their attention, they apologized for it. I wouldn't have expected them to refund money or anything as it wasn't something they did wrong.

Saying "we didn't dare tell him to please leave us alone, because he might have pulled out a pistol and started shooting us" is nothing more than a cop-out though.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
Absolutely. Which takes me back to the point I made on my first reply to this thread: You can't change other people. You CAN change you you react to other people... such as moving away from them when they start causing you annoyance.

I'm not trying to come off as uncaring here. The guy was (by this description anyway) clearly an a-hole. But the original question was "what could the campground have done differently", and again based on what was described, not much. The family didn't alert any employee to the situation while it was happening, and when it WAS brought to their attention, they apologized for it. I wouldn't have expected them to refund money or anything as it wasn't something they did wrong.

Saying "we didn't dare tell him to please leave us alone, because he might have pulled out a pistol and started shooting us" is nothing more than a cop-out though.
A "cop out"?? Are you serious??

Admins: please close this thread before I say something that gets me kicked off of this site.

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
Absolutely. Which takes me back to the point I made on my first reply to this thread: You can't change other people. You CAN change you you react to other people... such as moving away from them when they start causing ....

well @tfischer ... in my experience, ""you gotta know when hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. know when to walk away, know when to run...." or. "is that the hill you're willing to die on?"

one has to size up the situation

fear can be a healthy thing

Happy Trails!

Status
Not open for further replies.