AC

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
I have had a 2022 classic since last July. I have tried everything already discussed with very little success, especially if the temps are over about 82 or so. If I use a couple of fans on the floor say a foot or so from the the vents, and run the fantastic fan blowing out, I can make the dinette area almost habitable for awhile. I also have a couple of USB fans to help. The thing is, I feel I shouldn't have to suffer because of a poorly designed system. I've been out 15 days this year so far and I really need to try something new, anybody had any success with a portable unit vented out the window?

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
I have had a 2022 classic since last July. I have tried everything already discussed with very little success, especially if the temps are over about 82 or so. If I use a couple of fans on the floor say a foot or so from the the vents, and run the fantastic fan blowing out, I can make the dinette area almost habitable for awhile. I also have a couple of USB fans to help. The thing is, I feel I shouldn't have to suffer because of a poorly designed system. I've been out 15 days this year so far and I really need to try something new, anybody had any success with a portable unit vented out the window?
Are you in the shade? Shade makes all the difference. Sun turns an Aliner into a radiator, especially the FantasticFan.

mloader

Apr 28, 2022
Following this comment… I am looking into some portable units, I've stayed in a few places where shade is not an option

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
I understand about the direct sun "cooking" the aliner, but when it's above the low 80's, even the shade doesn't seem to help. I have no serious complaints about anything else, but if I want to camp in the summer at all, I gotta find some way to cool the camper. I have ordered a 6000btu portable, I'll give that a try, and also a reflective tarp as well.

mloader

Apr 28, 2022
I understand about the direct sun "cooking" the aliner, but when it's above the low 80's, even the shade doesn't seem to help. I have no serious complaints about anything else, but if I want to camp in the summer at all, I gotta find some way to cool the camper. I have ordered a 6000btu portable, I'll give that a try, and also a reflective tarp as well.
Sweet which one did you decide on? I will be ordering in the next few days.

TimAZ

Oct 16, 2021
Let us know how it works. Curious about where the water will go ---- guessing it has a reservoir container you'll need to dump periodically.
The newer high-efficiency units pump or splash the condensate water that drips from the evaporator coils back onto the condenser coils where it helps cool the refrigerant as the water evaporates. In a perfect world, all the condensed water evaporates and there’s nothing to drain. In the real world it drips water constantly on muggy days.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
How.I'd.do.it.jpg

This is the bad photoshop fix that I came up with from the other thread.

Three insulated ducts running absolutely straight to outlets.
Electronics far away from them as a possible source of water.
Finish the wall and insulate it (left of a/c unit, opens to outside storage cubby).

By adding one more duct and straightening out the other two the cooling capacity would go up by at least 55%

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
If you go that route, please let us know how effective it is. I don't have much faith in the "heat pump" AC unit in general, though.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
We're talking Aliner here. Might work on a hard dormer but I doubt you could replace the Fantastic Fan with an RTU.
Aliner :100 pound roof limit

For you pop up people my roof is an Aluminum extrusion on the perimeter with a sheet of thin fiberglass on the outside and 1/8" cheap ply on the inside with styrofoam vacuum bagged between them. That doesnt include any downward force exerted by wind on the bubbles.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
I was unhappy with the setup but have gradually
I have a Cool Cat, Thats what came before the covid campers and they changed manufacturers. It is a mattress edition. I tore the left side framing out under the bed and rebuilt it the way it should yhave been built to start with. Works great now but as a southern I don't camp in the sun<GG> My mama told me better. There several more ideas for the A/c but the DW wants to go dark side and I have a degree in economics and know probably kwow what the future holds.

Thanks for this afternoons entertainment.

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
Well, I received the unit and tested it in the Aliner classic. It works. Here is using just the portable unit itself.
It does have a drain hose that I have going into a small bucket, so you don't have to use the internal tank.
The downside is that it takes up valuable space, but when its 90+ outside, I'll take the cool.

Attachments

• Portable_AC_Aliner.jpg
    Portable_AC_Aliner.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 5

equinox

Jun 18, 2022
Well, I received the unit and tested it in the Aliner classic. It works. Here is using just the portable unit itself.
It does have a drain hose that I have going into a small bucket, so you don't have to use the internal tank.
The downside is that it takes up valuable space, but when its 90+ outside, I'll take the cool.

Nice -- I've been thinking about doing the same thing myself. Where have you put the vent hose for the hot air? I was thinking about either making a custom plate for window or the roof vent (fastened with velcro).

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
Nice -- I've been thinking about doing the same thing myself. Where have you put the vent hose for the hot air? I was thinking about either making a custom plate for window or the roof vent (fastened with velcro).
The unit comes with a plate that fits OK in one of the side windows. A small amount of duct tape, and you are good to go. I bought the smallest unit I could find, and it still takes up way to much space, but that's an aliner for ya. The unit will cool without using the heat pump at all. If needed, both units at once would probably freeze you out. lol. I just wish the factory unit wasn't such junk.