Adding Lights

G.P.

Jun 5, 2021
I am looking at adding 8" LED Utility Lighting strips in nearly All the storage compartments of my A-frame .. I am thinking about utilizing one toggle switch .. mounted inside .. and connecting as many of the strips together .. other than the challenge of running the wires so that they are concealed .. all ideas and or critizm is welcome .. thanks Glenn

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Use 2 3-way switches so you can cut them on when you're outside in the storage area, and the other inside switch to cut them off when you forget to cut them off outside.

Attachments

• 3-way.gif
    3-way.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 14

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Love the idea. Lack of light getting inside the cabinets are a problem in any camper. I often keep my couch in bed mode so it’s even darker under there. So I say go for it and keep us informed how it goes. I considered a battery operated strip light To first try in my house before it goes in the camper but the batteries die way too quick for my liking.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We don't have that many dark storage places in our travel trailer, the under bed space it probably the worst of them. After 4 or 5 years of owning the trailer, we finally discovered there actually was a light near the outside access door to that space. It's out of sight from inside because of a support cross piece, and with the angles, you have to have your head almost on the ground, looking up, so see it from the outside.
Long ago, we added two battery lights to the main section, accessed from inside the trailer. We found LED lights that look like light switches, and are easy to turn on/off. They give lots of light for that space.
The only other space I'd really like to have a light in is the cupboard under the sink, which is deep, and has the p-trap blocking sight lines on the top, and has part of the wheel well in the bottom. I haven't figured out a location for a light that would work better than just grabbing the flashlight when needed.

G.P.

Jun 5, 2021
Love the idea. Lack of light getting inside the cabinets are a problem in any camper. I often keep my couch in bed mode so it’s even darker under there. So I say go for it and keep us informed how it goes. I considered a battery operated strip light To first try in my house before it goes in the camper but the batteries die way too quick for my liking.
YES .. I too purchased a motion sensor battery operated LED light strip but like you said it seems to Eat the 4 AAA pretty quickly .. Wrkrbee .. really came up with a Great idea to use 2 switches to operate the lights .. I will definitely heed his advise too .. tombiasi reminded me of keeping the wire safe .. so I might look at some small diameter wire loom to help protect them .. thank you all .. i appreciate these suggestions .. glenn

Zephyr

Jun 18, 2013
central Oregon
We added a battery-powered LED light from Harbor Freight to the underside of our bed to light the storage area underneath. I think the light was one of HF's freebies.

G.P.

Jun 5, 2021
Strawhouse .. thanks for the link and idea .. I watched their video .. gave me a lot of ideas .. thanks again glenn

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
I tried the HF Led light and it was a BUST for us. Broke right away. I had them inside the cargo areas under the dinette and bed on my Classic. The ones from Amazon are working well. I replaced the HF ones on the Classic. Now I currently use one to light my steps on KODI. It’s mounted on the trailer frame behind my steps. My light turns on with motion and runs on batteries. Makes using the steps safer at night. Especially since we go boondocking almost all the time and it’s pitch dark.

https://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-Wire...G,B00VSKK344,B000ITGQXS,B003UHVWX4,B01MQJR3YP

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
if you cubbies are full they will block the light?

lights need to be on inside face of doors ( possible) or underside of lids (impractical)

you might find that a headlamp on your noggin works better as the light is shining where you look

G.P.

Jun 5, 2021
Thanks Anthony .. All good points I need to keep in mind as I design the placement of my lighting .. another issue is making sure the light is not blinding to the eyes .. again placement and direction of the light itself .. during my project I'll throw on one of my head lamps and see if that is a better option ..thanks glenn

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
a simple example in our home hallways, I was going to add lights inside the larger closet, but when I changed to hall light to a brighter LED, that extra light shining into the closet was sufficient.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@DiamondGirl
I made a coat rack that hangs on the A wall by the door. Bought a Coast headlamp they use out at the airport<GG>. grab it on the way out for the night. Problem solved. We dont spend much time inside.

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
@Econ… Sounds like a good idea. KODI has lighted stabilizers, marker lights, LED light under the awning, LED light strip inside the cargo areas, LED motion sensor light under the stairs, power tongue Jack with light, tons of lights inside the trailer, under the bed storage area, inside cabinets, closets and etc. We are definitely not lacking any light fixtures. The light inside the bathroom is motion sensor with an accent light around the medicine cabinet. Fancy for sure. LOL

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Ronal Owens

Jun 27, 2021
GRB Super Bright 921 love these lights. They are very bright and much brighter than the bulbs I replaced in my camper! I want white light rather than warm white to get as much light out of them as I can.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@Econ… . Fancy for sure. LOL
Happy Camping…[put&hy]

I maybe in the market. One of those sell at the top of the market things. ANy examples of recent Aliner prices? Appears DW has stayed in this a few years and with the enticement of something better may keep interest. May pick up a camper/ TV combo in the next year cheap. Stayed at the Park with heater problems the week before Tgiving and got down to 21*F about 4 times. Didnt get below 31 inside.

Latest posts