Adding more Shepherd Hooks.

swsmith

Dec 15, 2021
I'm looking at what large pool noodles do to improve water runoff, and at best, not that great. I'm thinking about adding 2 more supports on each side of both beds. I can cut the bows and add tees to it to support that end. The other end almost HAS to be curved, and inserted into the side of the roof like a shepherd hook. Just using a broom to imitate how it would work is promising. Any thoughts?

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Some pics of the problem would help. My first thought is some supports perpendicular to the shepherd crook placed between the pole and the vinyl top that would extend full width across.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Not much help but my old Jayco used three shepherd poles so it is doable. Can't say if it did anything more for water run off than just the single pole though. However it was convenient to attach things to it.

swsmith

Dec 15, 2021
Some pics of the problem would help. My first thought is some supports perpendicular to the shepherd crook placed between the pole and the vinyl top that would extend full width across.

Attachments

• 16568714642521495990240918011773.jpg
    16568714642521495990240918011773.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 16568714977632159561792482374243.jpg
    16568714977632159561792482374243.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 24

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Go buy/get a large moving box or cardboard and place it above the pole. I picture a piece that might cover most of the “ceiling “. IF that seems to help, there are some substantial, lightweight plastic panels the would be durable and last. ( you could store under the mattresses).
What do you think?

swsmith

Dec 15, 2021
Go buy/get a large moving box or cardboard and place it above the pole. I picture a piece that might cover most of the “ceiling “. IF that seems to help, there are some substantial, lightweight plastic panels the would be durable and last. ( you could store under the mattresses).
What do you think?
What would keep the panels from sagging on the edges? What type of plastic, and thickness?

Last edited:

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
I have seen corrugated cardboard boxes that would not bend. Thickness maybe 3/8”. There are poly plastic panels that rely on the strength of corrugation too.
Increasing both the height and the width of the crown in the tent roof is what you are seeking. You can accomplish that with a variety of materials that are more rigid than a pool noodle. Clearly you are going to have to experiment with various sizes and materials until you find one that will take up the slack in the tenting. Maybe additional shepherd poles would be the answer. 🤷‍♂️

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
He is an off the wall idea. instead of adding more bars that way .... how about just going across the center support with something like a wood slats. All you have to do is slide them in. A hardwood slat like is used on a small boat cover.

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
hello @swsmith ... does you canvas attach to the bunk ends with Velcro? ...if yes, I'd take a different tact...

maybe, after years of pulling it, the canvas has stretched to the point that its too stretched for the original Velcro attachment strips under the bunk ends.

I'd pull my side's down tight and see if the bottom ends go past the original attachment strips. ... if they do, I'd get a roll of heavy duty/outdoor Velcro and add new attachment points.

a relatively cheap "Proof of Concept"

Happy Trails!