After 5 years....

Spawndn72

Jul 29, 2016
Well, after 5 wonderful years of camping with our 1999 Coleman Niagra, we have bought our first travel trailer. We pick up our new Braxton Creek Free Solo FAM next Friday.
No more worrying about the tent being wet when putting it up. That was the one thing I did not like about the popup.

We didn't trade in the popup on the new and now comes the decision on whether to keep it or not. It needs some repairs. The clutch on the lift crank doesn't work. The front box needs some repairs from a leak that went undetected for a long time, the roof is in pretty good shape, but really needs to be covered with the bed liner stuff and it really needs new tenting.

We may keep it and fix it up over time and use it for really long trips. I am sure my gas mileage is going to drop like a rock with the TT. It would also be nice to let family and close friends use it to go camping with us.

Anyone else keep your popup after going to the dark side?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Well, after 5 wonderful years of camping with our 1999 Coleman Niagra, we have bought our first travel trailer. We pick up our new Braxton Creek Free Solo FAM next Friday.
No more worrying about the tent being wet when putting it up. That was the one thing I did not like about the popup.

We didn't trade in the popup on the new and now comes the decision on whether to keep it or not. It needs some repairs. The clutch on the lift crank doesn't work. The front box needs some repairs from a leak that went undetected for a long time, the roof is in pretty good shape, but really needs to be covered with the bed liner stuff and it really needs new tenting.

We may keep it and fix it up over time and use it for really long trips. I am sure my gas mileage is going to drop like a rock with the TT. It would also be nice to let family and close friends use it to go camping with us.

Anyone else keep your popup after going to the dark side?

I'm still not a fan of setting up or packing in the rain with the TT, but it is easier than with tents and popups.
We bought our TT in the fall, so had both the popup and TT over the winter, which gave us plenty of time to debate. In the end, we decided keeping the popup wasn't practical. I didn't want to have to furnish two campers, or move things from one to the other depending on which one we'd use on a trip. One reason we moved to the TT was that I could no longer handle the work of the pup reliably on my solo trips anyway. We also did not want to pay for storage space for either or both, and it's nice to be able to park one vehicle in our driveway. If you have plenty of on-site storage, that's another story. (Our popup was only 3 years old and in good shape.)
We do still have our front country tent, sleeping pads and bags, and other supplies; of course the outdoor stoves worked well for all forms of camping. My husband also still backpacks so has that equipment. If we want to do a trip with the tent, we can do so. My husband used one tent (can't remember if it was front or back country) to stop overnight on the way to visit his brothers to hike in CO a couple of years ago.
In reality, we got far more enjoyment out of seeing the popup go to a family that enjoyed it than we would have by keeping it. We ran into the family that bought it about a year later, and one of the kids excited told us all the places that they'd been. Earlier this year, my husband ran into them on one of our local trails, they've moved on to something more suitable now that the kids are bigger, and another family is enjoying that popup.

POMPOM

Jul 22, 2020
I bought a 1980 Bonair a few months ago. I just sold the popup, a 1977 Starcraft. We can barely afford to pay storage on one trailer so keeping the PUP was out of the question. I hate the thought of not smelling that smell first thing every summer. Nothing said holidays like that smell. When I popped it up to clean it out for sale, I nearly cried to think I would never smell that popup trailer smell again. (It was a newer canvas so it wasn't that it was mildew or anything. Just that canvas smell). Why can we record sights and sounds but not smells? It definitely helped that a new family has it. Their kids are just the ages ours were when we bought it. I hope their memories of it are as good as ours.

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
Congratulations on coming to the Darkside. Can’t wait to see and hear all about your next camping adventures.

We joined the Darkside earlier this year and LOVE IT. It was sad to see our Aliner leave with the new family. But it’s been awesome camping with KODI.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]