Allen 4 bike carrier question

Mtlangst

Jun 14, 2019
Central, Illinois
So i am in the middle of a 2 week trip. And am going to do a on the fly adjustment. We brought 7 bikes. 3 are on the roof of the TV. While I had 3 in the can. I have a large nissan nv van but that still makes it tight. Thinking about stopping enroute to get a 4 bike allen rack with the double hitch adapter from harbor freight.

1650203636548.png

Mtlangst

Jun 14, 2019
Central, Illinois
Does this work? Do the bikes hit anything on the frame of the camper? Tongue weight isn’t an issue with a 1-ton can I am way over kill for pulling a pup.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
The problems are tongue weight and turning, like when trying to back into a campsite.

With that many bikes I'm assuming you have a big family and a lot of gear/supplies in the TV. So, I would not add to that by putting more weight on the TV. I would suggest going with the bikes on the camper, over the axle. Many members here have built carriers out of PVC. Look through this board for some ideas.

DO NOT put them on the BACK of the camper!

Mtlangst

Jun 14, 2019
Central, Illinois
The problems are tongue weight and turning, like when trying to back into a campsite.

With that many bikes I'm assuming you have a big family and a lot of gear/supplies in the TV. So, I would not add to that by putting more weight on the TV. I would suggest going with the bikes on the camper, over the axle. Many members here have built carriers out of PVC. Look through this board for some ideas.

DO NOT put them on the BACK of the camper!
My van has a 16,000 cgwr and the tongue weight is i beleive 870lbs so i should be good. Turning is a concern. I might wait and borrow a friend’s setup to see how it works on my camper. I really want to avoid having anything on top of the camper if at all possible. And yes we are a family of 7 plus dog sometimes. So camping in a popup can be a pain at times.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
TV cargo capacity numbers are tricky, normally based on an empty TV and one average size driver. Now, add in the other 6 family members, the dog, ALL the other gear/supplies and the camper. Just saying it adds up fast!

Mtlangst

Jun 14, 2019
Central, Illinois
Depends on the length of the bikes and what is currently on the camper's tongue..
TV cargo capacity numbers are tricky, normally based on an empty TV and one average size driver. Now, add in the other 6 family members, the dog, ALL the other gear/supplies and the camper. Just saying it adds up fast!
Right. I have done all the math and it can get fuzzy. I have 2,500lbs of people and cargo to play with so I should be good on that front. Combined weight of 16,000lbs total.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Does this work? Do the bikes hit anything on the frame of the camper? Tongue weight isn’t an issue with a 1-ton can I am way over kill for pulling a pup.
Did you do it did you do it? Did it work? Please do share the details if you did and what did or didn't work. And what popup you have. Thanks! :) *

* I also don't care about tongue weight or cutting tow capacity in half.

Mtlangst

Jun 14, 2019
Central, Illinois
It did work, but i needed to add a longer hitch between the double stacked hitch and the popup like the curt 45260. The bike rack blocked the hitch coupler. I found that out after loading everyhing up the first time on the bike rack then couldn’t hook the trailer up. It works for taking 7 bikes somewhere. 4 on bike rack and 3 on the roof of van.