Any ideas for satellite or internet?

Sep 9, 2008
Tampa Florida
OK so here’s the deal….. we just bought a pop-up it’s a 2011 Rockwood freedom and we did our initial camping trip this past weekend and for the most part everything went well. Thank you for everyone who provided assistance with all the questions we had. Occasionally I will have to work and was wondering about purchasing satellite TV and Internet. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas with recommendations. By the way, there is no external cable. And about how much it cost. Thank you in advance. Happy camping. Jim

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I have no experience with it but the people I know who have used satellite internet say it's brutal and a last-ditch resource if you can't get anything else. StarLink is supposed to be better but I don't think is intended for mobile use (expected to be stationary). Depending on where you camp, 5G or 4G might be a good option.

We don't watch TV while we camp so I can't help much with that. I know Dish and DirectTV both have mobile options but they aren't cheap.

craig heaton

Jan 26, 2021
I do the same, just use my phone as a mobile hotspot. If that's not available I'll use my work phone or the truck's hot spot. (Between the 3 I usually have a signal...Tmobile for my phone, Verizon for work phone and the truck uses AT&T). With that said, the majority of my internet usage is just to check the weather and to upload travel photos to the cloud. I try to minimize any contact with work while I'm on vacation :) .

Sep 9, 2008
Tampa Florida
I do the same, just use my phone as a mobile hotspot. If that's not available I'll use my work phone or the truck's hot spot. (Between the 3 I usually have a signal...Tmobile for my phone, Verizon for work phone and the truck uses AT&T). With that said, the majority of my internet usage is just to check the weather and to upload travel photos to the cloud. I try to minimize any contact with work while I'm on vacation :) .
Thank you. Usually when we camp, go to “unplug” but sometimes it would be nice to check the weather radar before leaving….🙄, I am finding out….. luckily, we were able to put it away in the light rain and when we got home, PUC

craig heaton

Jan 26, 2021
NOAA weather radio, a bit old fashioned. Cheap to buy a capable radio on Amazon.
Definitely, we carry one of those too. It proved useful this past spring when there were tornado warnings and was a great complement to the internet. I'd hear a warning issued for our county and they would give the names of places in the path. I'd then check my phone to see how close they were to us and then the weather radar for the path of the storm. Together they helped me feel secure (the tornado passed about 10 miles or so from us....).

My sister was a bit startled when she asked what we did about the camper during the tornado warnings (she was assuming we went somewhere for shelter) and I told her my wife and I played Farkle (dice game) while we monitored the storm! ;-)

Lois Martin

Mar 19, 2021
Montana
OK so here’s the deal….. we just bought a pop-up it’s a 2011 Rockwood freedom and we did our initial camping trip this past weekend and for the most part everything went well. Thank you for everyone who provided assistance with all the questions we had. Occasionally I will have to work and was wondering about purchasing satellite TV and Internet. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas with recommendations. By the way, there is no external cable. And about how much it cost. Thank you in advance. Happy camping. Jim
Starlink has an RV setup. If and when I ever get on the road I will use that. It's spendy, $599 for the equipment and $135 a month. I think, don't quote me on this, you can pause it when not using it. Where I live I have really unreliable line of sight internet so, for me this may be an option.

Burchard

Jun 17, 2022
Good afternoon, I think that the reason I have camper, is to escape the bombardment of the information that is part of civilization today. Not that you should not have any thing that you want or need on a camp site. People need to do their own thing. I use it to get peace closer to nature, and the Lord.

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
A phone with a data plan that provides enough data, and that allows tethering or hotspotting is a pretty good solution.

Satellite Internet is not inexpensive. You will spend hundreds for equipment, and data is more expensive than through a cellular network.

The cheapest option, of course, is to use a commercial campground's wifi.

I also work remotely. If I think I will need to work, I have to select campgrounds that will be within cellular coverage or that will provide wifi. I bring my phone, with a data plan that allows it to act as a hotspot. And I also bring a travel router, if I'm at campgrounds that have wifi. That way I can fiddle the position of the travel router for best coverage.

RV Satman

Nov 2, 2015
Trinity, NC
Don't know if there is way for you to contact me directly through here but,
I HAD ( retired 1 year ago) a business for over 25 years that was RV satellite and internet exclusively . I can help you figure out all the options. Sarge's Satellite, formerly in Northern California. Same phone number but I now live in North Carolina. I've closed the business but still have all the contacts.

Tom Ky

Mar 13, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
I use, and am very happy with, a Verizon Jetpack and a cell booster (if needed for very low signal) for internet. Very little added cost (about $20) to my phone basic cost and no limit on data. I don't bother with TV when camping.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
I use my phone as a 4G / 5G hotspot. And I stream nearly everything I want to watch. For over the air TV I simply use a win TV dongle with thetanner and it picks up whatever stations are around..

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I've decided that it's better to have no connectivity than bad connectivity lol. The times we've had no connectivity we just shrug, put our devices away, and if necessary, get somewhere where we can get online, check weather/messages/etc at some point. But when you have flaky signal, I find you're always trying. You click a link.. hey, it works! You start reading, you scroll down, and no connection. ARGH! lol.

I remember one trip I was working part of one day from the campsite... the only way I could eek out a tiny bit of internet to check in with work was if I put my phone on TOP of the camper lol (connecting with my laptop as a hot spot). We generally don't bring laptops along but did that trip since I had to work Friday still.