August 2021 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I had installed a second battery earlier in the month. It was wired in parallel and I used 10 gauge wire for the connection. It was the same gauge as what was going into the camper. But I decided to replace it with regular 4 gauge battery cable. Which I did. I also removed and cleaned the Fridge (Burner,and flue), then added more insulation and reinstalled. I removed the galley and the cabinet top so that I could get to the top and sides of the Fridge to place the insulation. I'm running out of things to do to it now.

I really want to get back up in those mountains. But I live in California and there are so many fires that I am afraid I would get trapped up there and have to leave the camper to make a run for safety. Most of the campsites in those mountains have only one road in and one road out. If a fire starts near the road you could get cut off. The only alternative would be go camp out here on the desert in some of my favorite boondocking sites. I don't think that would be much fun though in this 100+ degree temperature. I have A/C and a generator, but I would just have to sit in the camper all day and do nothing. I'll just wait a little longer.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
On Dexter axles you can buy just the shoes or the whole mechanism. The electromagnet can also has a "shoe" that can wear out. I found the whole thing wasn't obscenely priced.
I guess it would be easier to replace the whole thing. I've replace brake shoes on vehicles before, and it does take some time and know-how. I'm guessing all you had to do was cut two wires and remove 5 bolts. I suspect you will have to adjust the shoes when complete.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Let’s see…

The main gear on my electric winch stripped so I replaced it with a manual winch. Took less than an hour and so much more reliable (not to mention that it conserves the battery as we virtually always boondock). Now I’m just worried I’ll lose the crank handle lol.

Touched up the caulk where it looked like it was starting to pull away…used Dicor - messy stuff but I’m happy with the results so far.

That’s about it - camping most weekends so the next projects will have to wait until the fall. Probably replace the winch cable next (Goshen) - the end near the winch is starting to have the odd wire poking out, so obviously don’t want that to fail.

Looking at replacing the ceiling vent with a Maxxair fan - I’ll wait for a sale on that one.
Before I removed my electric winch in favor of the manual one, I had two of the crank handles. I stored one in the camper front door cabinet and one in the TV. Can I suggest that you look into getting the 1/2 inch drive Dewalt cordless drill and the Socket Genie to raise and lower the top. It is like having an Electric winch but better. Lots of folks are doing it this way.

generok

Super Active Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Can you buy replacement shoes for that setup, or do you have to replace the whole backing plate?
Supposedly you can buy shoes for it. I could not find them in stock though and the magnet also wears. I think most just opt for a replacement unit. Five nuts and a couple of wire connections and you're done.

mowmow

Sep 2, 2020
We installed a square four-slot outlet plate with 2 double USB chargers, a 12V port, and a switch. Also installed a battery monitor. It was really nice to have them last week while camping. No phone service, but we use our phones to read and listen to books, music, and I like to do puzzles on my ipad. No pieces to lose. Nice to be able to recharge without having to run the TV.
This week I'm cleaning out the pup, washing the linens, dishes, etc. to get it ready for our next trip in Oct.
This was our first time using a Porta Potti and we loved having it. Hubby made a little platform for it to sit on and it's just the right height.
Our portable water tank was leaking from the cap when we turned it on its side so the water could be pumped to the sink. I was able to tighten it up the next morning after it warmed up. I'm going to try getting a new gasket for the lid. Or maybe I should just remove the connector and stick the tubing down into the tank and call it good. I could always tape it in place but it'll get all sticky.

Camping was a little less fun this time, no fires or BBQs allowed, but I got an online campfire permit so we could at least use our stove. Our camp neighbors didn't know about it and they weren't allowed to use any fire anything. I told them to drive to Big Sur or back to the Piedras Blanca elephant seal area where they could get cell service, go online, and get their permit on their phone. We did get an email alert about it but some people don't read their emails...
Someone had a cool propane fire ring, so they had a nice "fire" going. It sure looked like a coal fire, and we might get one. We'll need a bigger propane tank.
Now the Forests are all closed, probably for the rest of the season. Thankfully, our next outing is to Refugio which is a state park, so hopefully that won't be closed. I've never been camping there before, was cx when they had that oil spill years ago, then had to cx several years ago when I broke my ankle. Third time's the charm, right?

Greg H

Mar 22, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Interesting…wasn’t aware of a socket jenie for the winch. Although, i use my drill with a 3/4” socket for my BAL leveler and 4 stabs. It takes me less than a minute to crank up the pup with little effort, so by the time I change out the socket for the jenie on my drill, I’m not sure I’d be saving much time

Before I removed my electric winch in favor of the manual one, I had two of the crank handles. I stored one in the camper front door cabinet and one in the TV. Can I suggest that you look into getting the 1/2 inch drive Dewalt cordless drill and the Socket Genie to raise and lower the top. It is like having an Electric winch but better. Lots of folks are doing it this way.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Interesting…wasn’t aware of a socket jenie for the winch. Although, i use my drill with a 3/4” socket for my BAL leveler and 4 stabs. It takes me less than a minute to crank up the pup with little effort, so by the time I change out the socket for the jenie on my drill, I’m not sure I’d be saving much time
The socket Genie also raises and lowers the Stabilizers on my Viking. But I do have to change to the 3/4 socket for the BAL leveler.

Dewalt drill.jpg

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
So how big are your food boxes, I have 4 smallish totes, they're supposedly leak proof, anyway, I get crap from DH and my son said I should pare them down. Hah! I do and I have.
With our tent and popup camping our food boxes were two plastic underbed storage boxes. We had a larger tote, the flip top type for bulky and extra items + a mix of odd but necessary supplies (stove repair kit, etc.)
Since we have a fridge and freezer that work well, we don't need as much dry storage as we once did. We have switched to Really Useful boxes, 3 of the 17 liter size and one 5 liter. They are water resistant, but we discovered on the first trip we used them, that neither they, nor the bed of the truck we had then, were dust proof, I spend hours cleaning everything after traveling unpaved roads. After that, we moved them inside the trailer, we had just put them in the vehicle out of habit. we do have a couple of totes for things like snacks, one stays in the truck. We have some staples in a cupboard, but mostly store dishes and supplies in the few cupboards we have.
My husband has a couple of separate boxes with hiking and backpacking food. He also has a huge tote called his Adventure box, which holds his day- and backpacks, bear canister, tents, etc. That stays in the truck bed.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I refilled my propane tanks, replaced a leaking pigtale. I also fixed damage from running over a stray construction cone that was put in from of me while i was driving at 65 on a bridge. I took damage to the dimond plate of the camper and lost my e brake feed line. I temped up the brake line on the trip, and fixed the dimond plate with a stainless steel flat peice. I caulked and guled the beat i could. The dammage could have been much worse, and i attribute overly large TV and WDH hitch for not crashing.

Attachments

• 20210904_162241.jpg
    20210904_162241.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 11

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
This was the damaged side, and its not perfect, but good enough. After i replace the pvc tube, you will not even see it. 20210904_162250.jpg

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Bought some foam floor tiles to put under the bunk mattresses. I can't believe how much of a difference in comfort 1/2" of foam makes - highly recommended.

Built a shelf in the cupboard just inside the door for dishes and cutlery. We cook outside so this way we can just reach in and grab stuff for meals.

Levelled the roof. Originally I thought this was going to hard but ended up being super easy. Was >3/4" higher at the front, got it within 1/8" all around.

Levelled the bunk ends. Our trailer has the cable supported Glide-N-Lock system. Not sure if the cables stretched over time or what, but the bunks were droopy with the roof all the way up. Drilled some additional holes in the bunk brackets so the cables could be attached in different places to adjust the height - I wish they came from the factory with adjustment holes. Got them pretty close to level after a bit of playing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.