Battery advise needed

Anita B

Jul 13, 2021
We have used Flagstaff Mac 228 we got late last summer and are having battery issues since I don't know how abused the diehard silver got before I got the camper
I am going to replace it we boondock camp only I only need to run a pump and lights for 2 to 4 days if we want more I have a generator is there a brand and model of battery you recommend deep cycle gel etc I don't think I will go litumn I can't justify the cost
Thank you in advance

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
We have used Flagstaff Mac 228 we got late last summer and are having battery issues since I don't know how abused the diehard silver got before I got the camper
I am going to replace it we boondock camp only I only need to run a pump and lights for 2 to 4 days if we want more I have a generator is there a brand and model of battery you recommend deep cycle gel etc I don't think I will go litumn I can't justify the cost
Thank you in advance
True deep cycle in the largest physical size you can fit. If it becomes very difficult to find a deep cycle a marine battery would be a second choice. Switch your lights to LEDs and you will get considerable more use from the battery.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
I like the Marine Master batteries, made by East Penn/Deka. Sold by Lowes, and some parts stores like OReilly's. They're also labeled DuraCell, sold by Costco and Batteries plus. Look for the model number like 27DC, which is basically a trolling motor battery, the 27DP is a dual purpose battery and won't last as long in terms of years but it will do just as well over a weekend.

Lead Acid batteries are sold by size, a basic group 24 is what you probably have now but they increase in size to group 27, group 29 and group 31. Each is a little more expensive but will last a bit longer during use.

Read the 12 Volt Side of Life for a good explanation of how to maintain your battery and keep it around for a while.

Keeping the battery charged will help it last a lot longer. And plan on buying a multimeter and learning how to use it.

Last edited:

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
I'd recommend a samsclub duracell 24dcx (not the 24msho starting or 24dc dual purpose) as your first battery.

I'll bet the change in my pocket you'll abuse it or something else will cause it to fail/theft.
The 24DCX is ~$85 plus core charge (total near $100). All others are just as easy to abuse.
In a few years ya might go a different route and may learn to care for not abuse a battery!
:cool:

batt1.jpg

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I went with a group 29 deep cycle battery. This gives me more than enough power even with intermittent furnace usage for over a four night trip. I did buy a 100watt solar panel to help Keep my batteries charged if I know I need to use my furnace more. im very good about disconnecting the battery when I’m not camping and charging them with my charger at home once a month I also rarely go over the 50% discharge. So for four seasons now it’s still going strong. I would not go with a group 24 battery as you don’t have many amp hours available if you follow the 50% rule. Though truth be told for the little usage you use you can make 4 nights on the battery so long as you change over to led lights. i just like to have a little extra for just in case. I'm very conservative when it comes to power and outside the furnace not using 12v for much more then what is already built in my camper.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
I'm gonna pitch in with Anthony and Rabird. If you're going to be lugging the battery back and forth the G24 is the way to go, and the one linked by Rabird is definitely priced right. It should be good to run lights and water pump for 3 to 4 days. If you decide you want more power later on you can always get a second one.

Whatever you buy, put it on a charger as soon as you get it home and make sure it is fully charged. Charge it again before you go out to your place and immediately when you get home.

Anita B

Jul 13, 2021
Thank you in advance

Anita B

Jul 13, 2021
First of all thank you everyone for your advice I ended up getting another group 24 deep cycle battery a volt meter and a solar trickle charger since we do not use our battery much the solar trickle charger is maintaining the battery which I check each weekend when I arrive if the level goes down I Will take my battery home to charge up and I am planning on using my solar panel trickle charger throughout the winter this year