Battery didn't last one night. Help

Johneliot

Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
I have one of these. As is, all you would need to do is set up the panels and then put the clamps on the battery terminals. About as easy as it gets

Tcdevoe

Dec 31, 2022
My standard advise. 1) Buy the biggest battery you can afford. 2) Trojan is a better battery. 3) buy a digital multimeter.

What is the tree canopy like where you will try to charge??
Thanks @Johneliot for the link to the kit. Do you place it on the roof of the popup? Also, does it come with cables long enough to reach a battery by the hitch?

@Econ , I believe we will be in direct sun in a field. I will look into the battery type you mentioned.

Thanks for the information!

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@Econ , I believe we will be in direct sun in a field. I will look into the battery type you mentioned.

Thanks for the information!
Trojan is a brand. I have a 130 A/H as is was the largest I could fit.
I live on a pulpwood farm called the Deep South so I carry a Genny and panels.

It is better to have the wire between the panel and controller as the shortest and the run from the controller to the battery the long one. 10guage or larger.

It would help if you put a general location in your heading.

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
I recently purchased a 1999 Coleman Santee - my first popup. We are going to a bluegrass festival in July and will be there for 5 days. We are not going to have hookups so have to rely on battery.

I'm going to buy a deep cycle battery from Costco. I'm interested in purchasing a solar kit (someone mentioned this previously in thread) which I'm assuming can keep my battery charged. Will the solar panel kit allow connecting to the converter which then charges the battery? Is that how it generally works?

I have not yet tested out the opened camper with internal lights,etc. I'm planning on doing this in the next few days. I will familiarize myself with the converter and everything else in the camper.

Can someone recommend a few kits and any accessories I will need - possibly available through Amazon?

Thank you!

If you like to keep any deep cycle lead battery from an early death, try not to discharge it more than 50%. The solar panel kits usually include a basic solar charger. You connect it straight to the battery. A lot of it depends on what you want to do with the battery.

Johneliot

Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
That one is a suitcase panel. It folds up when your ready to go. The clamps have a long enough wire that you can turn it to always be facing the sun and you would have it set up next to your battery on the tongue.

Last edited:

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
you may wind up needing an extension cord beteen the solar panel-controller-battery, in order to chase the sun. My cord is between thepanel and teh controller's battery port on the side wall of the Aliner. I repurposed an old orange extesion cord by splicing SAE connectors each end (with due regard for polarity).

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
@Econ , I live in Northern NJ. We will be attending the festival in the Catskill Mountains in New York.
Depending on when you go and the temperature at night , you may need a buddy heater and another tank of propane. But thats up to your tolarances.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
In july?!I was thinking more fans and ac.. lol
I didn't see the july bit. But up in the adorandacs , a little further up , it got down to like 36 one night I was thier The rest of the time it was nice , but the end of june beginning of july can get cold at night.