Battery Wire Gauge

cstevens

Apr 23, 2022
New to me 2001 Coleman Clipper that I am in the process of restoring. The wire coming off the 12v battery needs to be replaced. Does anyone know the gauge at which the wires coming off the terminals going to the trailer should be?

Carol

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
New to me 2001 Coleman Clipper that I am in the process of restoring. The wire coming off the 12v battery needs to be replaced. Does anyone know the gauge at which the wires coming off the terminals going to the trailer should be?

Carol
There should be a main fuse on the positive lead. What is it?

cstevens

Apr 23, 2022
It's most likely 10 gauge, which is rated for 30 amps.
In the fuse box, as there are no in-line fuses. Attached photo is the white negative wire and the red positive wire coming from the trailer to the battery box. The small white wire in this photo is the ground to the electric brakes brake away, which is another story in itself.

Attachments

• IMG_8291 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_8291 Medium.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 37

Coreym95

Jun 6, 2020
In the fuse box, as there are no in-line fuses. Attached photo is the white negative wire and the red positive wire coming from the trailer to the battery box. The small white wire in this photo is the ground to the electric brakes brake away, which is another story in itself.
Looks like 10 gauge to me. You could probably find some writing on one the cables as well.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
The yellow crimp connector is for 10-12 gauge wire. You can't go wrong with 10 and it will fit. You need to add an inline fuse holder with a fuse matching the battery fuse in the in fuse box.

Let's discuss the breakaway.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
The yellow crimp connector is for 10-12 gauge wire. You can't go wrong with 10 and it will fit. You need to add an inline fuse holder with a fuse matching the battery fuse in the in fuse box.

I'd be leary about hooking the breakaway after the fuse. I ironically ordered some nimh 12v 4ah batteries. They charge with basic vehicle voltage range. Ironic because I don't have trailer brakes.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
I'd be leary about hooking the breakaway after the fuse. I ironically ordered some nimh 12v 4ah batteries. They charge with basic vehicle voltage range. Ironic because I don't have trailer brakes.
I never do, I connect it direct to the battery. But I have brakes. Why do you need one? Are you sure it's a breakaway?

Coreym95

Jun 6, 2020

As far as I can tell my trailer doesn't have an inline fuse. Are they really necessary if everything is going back through the panel anyways? Only time you "need" one is if you have something directly connected to the battery, like a power winch or power tongue jack, right?

Edit: Mine does have a fuse mounted out of site.

Last edited:

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
10 Gauge. use black for positive with a 30 amp automotive circuit breaker. White for ground (negative)
Connect the breakaway switch wire to the battery terminal directly

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I never do, I connect it direct to the battery. But I have brakes. Why do you need one? Are you sure it's a breakaway?
I don't have one. Had them on my other trailers and such but not on my pop up. It's like 600 lbs. I do a lot little projects so Im always in need of batteries and other storage options.

poppy65

May 10, 2015
The wire from the battery goes to your converter and you air conditioner and should be no. 10 which will carry 30 amp so you want a 30 map fuse. Always fuse the wire.

stierheim

Apr 22, 2013

As far as I can tell my trailer doesn't have an inline fuse. Are they really necessary if everything is going back through the panel anyways? Only time you "need" one is if you have something directly connected to the battery, like a power winch or power tongue jack, right?
Yes, it is necessary. The panel fuses/breakers do not protect the wiring between the panel and the battery. A short in this wiring with no protection at the battery itself can easily result in red hot wires and the potential for fire or a battery explosion.
The protection at the battery should be as close to a battery terminal as possible, inside the battery box at the very least.

Coreym95

Jun 6, 2020
Yes, it is necessary. The panel fuses/breakers do not protect the wiring between the panel and the battery. A short in this wiring with no protection at the battery itself can easily result in red hot wires and the potential for fire or a battery explosion.
The protection at the battery should be as close to a battery terminal as possible, inside the battery box at the very least.

Good to know. Interesting that my 2017 Rockwood doesn't have one (that I've noticed). Maybe it's not standard practice with some manufacturers.

Edit: mine does have a fuse mounted inside of the frame, under the body of the camper.

Last edited:

Coreym95

Jun 6, 2020
My mistake, mine does have a fuse mounted on the inside of the frame out of site.

Latest posts