Bear Creek or Canvas Replacements?

Wingo

Jul 9, 2013
I can only speak for Bear Creek, but I highly recommend them. The replacement canvas was perfect, even better than the original. The main bonus was the three layer windows. Canvas flap, tinted sunshade, and screen. The tinted sunshade was very handy. Though I don't know if canvas replacements has that or not truthfully.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
They both have similar reputations and prices. Often shipping times are similar. Options vary a bit, which may factor into your decision.
When we needed to put new canvas on our first popup 12 or so years ago, one huge factor was that Canvas Replacements had the pattern, Bear Creek Canvas did not. Since the canvas on ours had disintegrated and no longer existed to use as a pattern, that made our choice pretty simple.
I suggest contacting both so you have a more informed decision as to shipping time, price, options, need for old canvas or not. Both generally have the pattern for more popular popups.
[Hint: if you add make, model, and year of your popup to your signature line, we have more info.]

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
So, here's what I found out after contacting them.

They both have similar lead times (34+ weeks)
Canvas Replacements is about $100 less but wants payment in full up front.
Bear Creek is about $100 more but only takes payment 3-4 week in advance of the actual production date.

Bear Creek it is for me I think. I don't like someone holding on to my money for 34+ weeks with no product in hand. There's no recourse with the CC company if it fall through / something happens, regardless of reputation.

Here in Canada, you can only take a deposit for "pre-order" ... it's illegal to take full payment and not ship something within a reasonable time frame for most businesses.

I'm going to do a little more digging locally, but I'm putting in my order with Bear Creek today.

csharpdev

May 30, 2015
I've been browsing around as I plan to order new canvas sometime this year (for next year). Based on their websites, it looks like Canvas Replacements is about $300 more than Bear Creek. Canvas Replacements uses Sunbrella while Bear Creek uses 10.38 oz canvas. I'm assuming Sunbrella is more expensive than traditional canvas and that is the reason for the price difference.

I would certainly prefer the Sunbrella and I can tell from CR's website that I wouldn't need to send in my old fabric, no idea on BK will have to call. At the same time if I have to pay in full when I order from CR, I'd likely have to wait till October to order so that might be a point in favor of Bear Creek.

Sep 25, 2021
We went with Bear Creek. We had Sunbrella but replacing with that isn't a big deal to us, and Bear Creek was less money. Neither had our pattern so we had to send the canvas in no matter which we went with, shipping costs were the same either way.

I have seen a couple of posts on facebook from people who ordered from a third company but I do not recall the name.

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
I've been browsing around as I plan to order new canvas sometime this year (for next year). Based on their websites, it looks like Canvas Replacements is about $300 more than Bear Creek. Canvas Replacements uses Sunbrella while Bear Creek uses 10.38 oz canvas. I'm assuming Sunbrella is more expensive than traditional canvas and that is the reason for the price difference.

I would certainly prefer the Sunbrella and I can tell from CR's website that I wouldn't need to send in my old fabric, no idea on BK will have to call. At the same time if I have to pay in full when I order from CR, I'd likely have to wait till October to order so that might be a point in favor of Bear Creek.

Bear Creek uses 13oz vinyl material over the bed wings. Canvas for the sides. They also use a tinted 12-mil vinyl for the windows which is a nice and a 18x16 mesh for the bug screens. I think they canvas they use is SunForger or ArmyDuck. I'm not sure though.

Canvas Replacements wants your money UP FRONT in FULL. Bear Creek doesn't need payment until about 3-4 weeks prior to your order being made.

I have to send my fabric in with both as my 2002 Bonair Oh!Zone TourOh isn't a model they have on file.

I just got my order confirmation from Bear Creek. They expect to need my old canvas near the end of December, meaning my order will possibly be ready by the end of January.

Don't wait too long to order, or you may not get it in time for the spring.

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
We went with Bear Creek. We had Sunbrella but replacing with that isn't a big deal to us, and Bear Creek was less money. Neither had our pattern so we had to send the canvas in no matter which we went with, shipping costs were the same either way.

I have seen a couple of posts on facebook from people who ordered from a third company but I do not recall the name.

I read someone had UniCanvas out of Quebec do their replacement canvas. I checked, but they are almost double the price, even after exchange.

I will just have our canvas sent to a parcel service by the border on the US side to save on shipping, then go down and pick it up myself. We're only about an hour and a bit from the border in Winnipeg.

Sep 25, 2021
I read someone had UniCanvas out of Quebec do their replacement canvas. I checked, but they are almost double the price, even after exchange.

I will just have our canvas sent to a parcel service by the border on the US side to save on shipping, then go down and pick it up myself. We're only about an hour and a bit from the border in Winnipeg.
The shipping itself wasn't that bad coming back to us, it was the duty and GST. You will still have to pay that bringing it back - is it less money if you're bringing it yourself? We are 6 hours north of the border unfortunately.

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
The shipping itself wasn't that bad coming back to us, it was the duty and GST. You will still have to pay that bringing it back - is it less money if you're bringing it yourself? We are 6 hours north of the border unfortunately.

Yes, much cheaper if you bring it back yourself. You're not paying for brokerage fees.

Also, depending on how long you're in the US for (I am down often for dog trials the likes), you are allowed up to $200 for stays of 24+hours, $800 for 48+ Hours.

So, if you go for 48 hours, you're only paying duty on the cost of the canvas less $800.

If you're really lucky, they'll just wave you through.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Neither for me, I ordered a factory replacement from Jayco. In my research I found that CR listed my pup canvas as a factory replacement item, not something they made. Couple calls to local Jayco dealers and the part was still available, although the price varied. The closer one sin the metroplex wanted $700 or so, but I found one that was about an hour up the road, and their price was around $500. Ordered, got it in a couple weeks, and was an upgraded/lighter material than my original and even had the side windows that were added to the dinette in subsequent years. I was super happy.

What was really annoying was the fact that CR was essentially doubling the cost for the exact same part, since they would have ordered from Jayco too. Not every brand has factory replacement canvas though, I just got lucky.

Agent27

Jun 10, 2020
Neither for me, I ordered a factory replacement from Jayco. In my research I found that CR listed my pup canvas as a factory replacement item, not something they made. Couple calls to local Jayco dealers and the part was still available, although the price varied. The closer one sin the metroplex wanted $700 or so, but I found one that was about an hour up the road, and their price was around $500. Ordered, got it in a couple weeks, and was an upgraded/lighter material than my original and even had the side windows that were added to the dinette in subsequent years. I was super happy.

What was really annoying was the fact that CR was essentially doubling the cost for the exact same part, since they would have ordered from Jayco too. Not every brand has factory replacement canvas though, I just got lucky.
When you say Metroplex do you mean DFW?

I am looking for a replacement for my Jayco now. Do you have any info on where you got yours?

Latest posts