Beginners Canoe?

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
Our canoeing has been limited to renting at State PArks. We have considered buying a used one. There is one for sale about 5 miles from here. 16' Adirondak/Hornbeck. ITs made of carbon/Kevlar. I'm out of my league except using horse sense when examining it.

https://www.hornbeckboats.com/boats_trad_16.php

What would you expect to pay for a 4 year old 2600.00 canoe.? They want < 1000.00

What should I look for?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
The best way is to be able to try it out on the water. Check to see if the seller can make something work for you. If not check it out really well looking out for any deep scratching or patches. Try sitting in it on land to see how comfortable it will be for you. Does it have room for your gear and/or family. Check with the seller to see if he knows the make/brand so you can do your research from home as well. I don't know as much about canoes but suspect it's going to be similar to kayaks where some are more designed for puttering on a lake vrs a touring kind where speed is more critical than stability. If your going to have young ones with you, you would want stability ,more flat bottomed than thin and sleek.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
What are you planning on Using it for? If just tooling around, i have a blow up kyack that like a conoe. I like it for floating around , if you want something for serious stuff, fishing and the like i wouldn't use it for that. There inexpensive and easy to transport.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
low price - stolen?

aside from that, low weight is nice - if you can lift it onto the car roof you are more likely to use it. 16 ft is a fine length for general use. We have a 15 ft canoe that weight 56 Lbs, we paid over $1,000 for it new - its a plastic sandwich (and it was on sale well over a decade ago )

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
low price - stolen?
He has two. Also a 12'. Same brand. Claims the DW has health problems. The big one lists for about 2500.00 retail plus pick up in NY state.

Called local cops. If you have the serial number they will not run it to see if it is stolen.

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
It is really a solo canoe for tripping, not a casual canoe, although you can use it for that. I have a MN II Kevlar from Wenona, 19' 6". 41 lbs. It is a great lake tripping canoe for 2 or maybe a small 3. These canoes have almost no rocker, low sidewalks and are quite fast. Some find them unstable, but they are really quite stable.

Last edited:

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
The boat you linked is a solo lake cruiser, narrow beamed, probably very fast. Definitely not a family boat. at 16' and 31# it is very thin skinned. Do not get in this boat unless it's in the water. I'd love to paddle that boat but it is not a beginner canoe. No way I would turn an unskilled kid loose with it.

At that price reduction I would expect to see some damage. Look for cracks in the epoxy, they'll be easy to see in that thin skin.

I'd say that for a beginner family canoe you should look for a 15 to 16 ft tandem with a 34 to 36 inch beam. Expect it to weigh between 70 and 90 pounds, depending on the hull material. The old Royalex canoes are very rugged, if a little heavy, and can take a fair amount of abuse.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
the poster likely has no clue about rocker. Main point is to not get a canoe that is too heavy or too small. Our first canoe was both - 14 ft and thick fiberglass - a brick. 2nd canoe was 17 ft Coleman - good family vessel. Third and last is our 15'-6" Bell Morningstar.

Dback2k4

Jul 16, 2017
Davenport, Iowa
I have a cheap kayak I bought from Dick's Field & Stream. Paid extra for upgraded paddles. Great for beginners, especially if you're not hauling a lot of gear onto the water.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
The DW is unable to row so I am the propulsion unit. Of the 2 canoes mentioned above someone beat me to the 12' and ran out of $$ so the seller is holding the 16' for him a few days with me on deck.

Thanks for the advice.

There is a State Park close by with 3 lakes. I have an annual pass because of hiking. The plan was a lake canoe to work out the upper body.

Dan from Troup

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2018
Troup, Texas
I have 2 canoes and have had numerous kayaks including a Feathercraft folding kayak. If you’re looking for a beginners stable canoe go with a flat bottom like the Old Town Discovery series. My OT Discovery 169 (16 ft. 9”) is made of cross link plastic and is very heavy at 90 pounds. But it’s a very stable forgiving boat for fishing, General paddling and tripping. I’ve had this boat out on numerous week long paddle trips loaded down with camping gear. New the OT Discovery is about 1200 from LL Bean. I think the next size down is the OT Discovery 158 (15ft. 8”). I also have an Old Town Pack, a 12 ft. solo canoe which weighs 33 pounds.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
It's worth spending more for a light canoe. You do have to be gentle on the shore with the kevlar but it's soooo worth it when you put it on your vehicle.

Look for reviews from paddling forums to help decide if the actual model and style is good for your needs. They can be really helpful, although if this is a smaller manufacturer, the reviews won't be as easy to find. As far as the boat itself, if it has exposed kevlar, be sure the fabric isn't too frayed. Patches done right aren't that bad, but pay less!

I have a kevlar lake tripping canoe that we just use for casual goofing-about-the-lake stuff. It feels super tippy but isn't. Not sure I'd stand in it to cast, but I never did in any other boat anyway. (I never caught fish, though.) It's harder for us amateurs to turn a long canoe on a dime, but it's still good for fun. And it's pretty fast which is rewarding when you aren't very good.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I doubt it.

The price of the one you're looking at seems really good, at least it would be where I live...unless it had been a rental or kids' camp boat and had been abused. Or left in the snow and sun.

I bought my canoe after determining what models would work for me, then monitoring Craigslist for a while. Nothing came up so when I saw a good sale at REI, I ordered a new one. It's kind of like buying a used popup trailer. Location is important. I'm not in a big canoeing area, apparently. If I lived in Minnesota, I would have been able to find a used one.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
left in the snow and sun.

What's this snow crap? <<G>>

It was the price/ amount of discount that attracted me.

There are a lot of used that are asking 80% of new. There is a point with me where I would rather pay extra and just have new.

I think this one has gotten away. I will put all of the above advise in the back of my mine and chew on it for a while.

Other than Old town are there any other reputable brands of canoe?

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
I'll give you an idea on my MN II. I do live in MN, came out of the bwcaw in May and a couple of outfitters had used ones for sale. I paid $700 for mine, four years old, reinforced front and rear. I actually had them put it on hold because I had another MN II on my van at the time, a friend's. Got back home, talked with my friend and he said go for it, great deal. Nothing wrong with the canoe, they just change them out every four years. Love it, pals like a dream and very fast if you want it to be. I'll have it til I die.
I should mention that I also have a plastic canoe I got from Dick's for about $350, great for fishing and playing around, not a tripping canoe at all.

Last edited: