best bike rack mount on pop up?

TG2020

Aug 19, 2020
Efland, NC
I'm looking for a way to safely mount 3 bikes to my pop up. Preferably not too expensive lol! I prefer not to mount to the roof of the pop up due to weight. Maybe something on the tongue or rear bumper? What do you use? Thanks!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Look into something called a pro rack system. It is expensive but people have made their own to work essentially the same way. Your not actually installing anything on your roof but there is a removable bracket of sorts that you attach to the tongue of the camper which the front of the bike attaches to while the back tires of the bike rests on the roof of the popup. This is ideally the best rack or the popup. If you add too much weight to the back of your camper you can cause serious sway problems. Besides popup bumpers are not strong enough for bikes anyway.

FreeStipule

Apr 19, 2021
SE Minnesota
I'm looking for a way to safely mount 3 bikes to my pop up. Preferably not too expensive lol! I prefer not to mount to the roof of the pop up due to weight. Maybe something on the tongue or rear bumper? What do you use? Thanks!

I am going to borrow and try out a dual hitch extender
this weekend, with our existing bike rack, based on some suggestions from other similar posts.

And when I say “try out” I want to see if the mounted bikes will in fact clear the camper and tongue jack handle on sharpest possible turns.

If it works (and you already have a bike rack for your hitch receiver), this is a pretty cheap and out of the box way to go that many people swear by.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-Receiver-Trailer-2-Inch/dp/B00371VLAC

Important disclaimer: this type of hitch extender cuts your max hitch/tongue weight in half so you would want to know the limit on your own TV and tongue hitch and possible make some modifications to what you carry there such as
propane tank(s), battery, water.

FreeStipule

Apr 19, 2021
SE Minnesota
I am going to borrow and try out a dual hitch extender
this weekend, with our existing bike rack, based on some suggestions from other similar posts.

And when I say “try out” I want to see if the mounted bikes will in fact clear the camper and tongue jack handle on sharpest possible turns.

If it works (and you already have a bike rack for your hitch receiver), this is a pretty cheap and out of the box way to go that many people swear by.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-Receiver-Trailer-2-Inch/dp/B00371VLAC

Important disclaimer: this type of hitch extender cuts your max hitch/tongue weight in half so you would want to know the limit on your own TV and tongue hitch and possible make some modifications to what you carry there such as
propane tank(s), battery, water.
*edit: cuts your max tongue weight limit in half

FreeStipule

Apr 19, 2021
SE Minnesota
I heard those hitch extenders add more slack/slop in the line, so please let us all know your findings after trying it out! Otherwise it looks like a great solution!
Right, I have heard that too come to think of it. The suggested clamp tightener suggested below that dual extender on the link I posted earlier is a possible fix for at least some of that. Not sure if my buddy who is loaning me the dual extender to check out has one of those too - he is absolutely the kind of person for who I would not be at all surprised if he passed that along too. But if not and all else is well I’ll pick up one of those clamp tighteners.

In any event I may get to check it out by this weekend, and or will take it out on our first pup trip of the year the following weekend (yahoo!). Will be sure to follow up here including pics for each of the test and actual trip if I am comfortable with the fit.