Bikes

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
I still miss my first car, a ‘78 Corolla with manual choke & non-hydraulic clutch. That thing got over 40 mpg! If only it had had A/C.
..and ABS and air bags and electronic ignition and fuel injection and seatbelt pre-tensioners and.......
I often hear people say "They don't build them like that any more." I reply, either with "They never did." or with a "Thank goodness.".

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
In 1990 there was a brief recession.
Most economist consider 1990 to have been mild and short. That was the Savings and Loan fiasco. Thanks congress.

Congress decided to fix S&l's and you see how many are around.

2009 differed from 1990 because 2009 was longer and also a financial crisis. Don't get me started about the Fed reserve. As Milton
Friedman said, replace them with a computer that raises M2 by 3% a year.

I 2009 the SPX, S&P 500, declined by 56.7%(?? I know the 56 part is right) What coming up should be eye opening.

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
The S&L clean-up process had been ongoing for YEARS by 1990. A debate into the causes indicates it was a LACK of government oversight as to where these institutions were investing depositor's funds that was a major reason for insolvency.
A few over 1000 S&Ls, out of the 3,200 or so, went out of business between 1986 and 1995.
Or, for the glass-half-full optimists among us, more than 2/3 of the S&L thrived.
10 years on and 2007, we see the start of the sub-prime mortgage issue, again, lack of oversight.

How about getting this thread back to bicycles for a while?

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
The S&L clean-up process had been ongoing for YEARS by 1990. A debate into the causes indicates it was a LACK of government oversight as to where these institutions were investing depositor's funds that was a major reason for insolvency.
A few over 1000 S&Ls, out of the 3,200 or so, went out of business between 1986 and 1995.
Or, for the glass-half-full optimists among us, more than 2/3 of the S&L thrived.
10 years on and 2007, we see the start of the sub-prime mortgage issue, again, lack of oversight.

How about getting this thread back to bicycles for a while?
Repealing the securities act of 1934 by Clinton is the root cause of taking savings money and using it for investing money (jp Morgan merged with chase, so on ,etc). Access to your savings money.

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
The centrifugal derailleur? Unfortunately, yes.
Shimano's Positron was another shifter system that had a very brief lifecycle.
I'm still in wonder that an electric derailleur has been re-introduced (eTap, Di2) given: a, how poorly the SunTour and Mavic attempts in the early 1990's went and b, how well pull cable shifters accomplish the same task.