black tank flush idea?

ham fam

Jul 20, 2016
Kaukauna WI
a lot of the state park campgrounds around me have a flush hose, but not one that has a garden hose connection. I did have a thought about creating a hose adapter, that would connect to the skinny metal hose that they have, converting to a male garden hose. But that seems like a lot of work hooking it up and messing around with it, especially when there is a line of traffic behind me.
So I got another thought, what if i run a hose from the freshwater system and tie it into the black tank flush hose line? I'd have to either cap the existing inlet port or add a couple of ball valves. But in the end, in my mind; hook up stinky slinky, pull black tank valve, when almost done draining, turn on water pump switch around ball valves, thus pumping fresh water into the black tank, then pull the gray water valve. So while the gray water valve is emptying, we'd be polishing our black tank at the same time. Doesn't add very much time to the whole process at the dump site. And allows me to flush even when there isnt a flush hose.

Thoughts? Good idea, bad idea?

Obviously I would tie in before the vacuum break/back flow preventer valve.

Jkoht

Aug 10, 2020
I think you're overthinking it. The grey water flushes most of the worst of the black from the line, just use a pair of disposable gloves to disconnect and use the provided water line to flush the hose a little more. It'll never be perfectly clean no matter what you do.

ham fam

Jul 20, 2016
Kaukauna WI
I think you're overthinking it. The grey water flushes most of the worst of the black from the line, just use a pair of disposable gloves to disconnect and use the provided water line to flush the hose a little more. It'll never be perfectly clean no matter what you do.
Jkoht, I'm not worried per se about cleaning the stinky slinky. My camper came with a black tank flush port, and the manufacturer suggests running water through it regularily, to help keep the black tank clean. Thats my goal.

Jkoht

Aug 10, 2020
As long as you're using a healthy amount of water when flushing everything should come out when emptying. The problems come from using too little water and too much paper which end up forming the evil "poo pyramid".

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
the reason the campground hose does not have the connector is to prevent people from flushing the tanks and spending too much time at the dump resulting in a long line....
do you have access to the toilet when at the dump? so turn on the water pump, step on the flush pedal and have water flow into the black tank from the toilet as you drain the grey? maybe not ideal, but it will give you a rinse.
(this is part of the reason we are one of those weird campers that only use the onboard facilities for pee only, we don't really need to use the black tank flush).

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We don't have a built in flush, but we use the Valterra Hydroflush for most dumps. That, and finding the correct tank treatment for us, solved the stink problems we had the first season. And yes, we use our toilet for all things, for a few reasons; we put most paper in the trash basket we have for that purpose.
We don't flush if there isn't a spigot or hose for that, or if there's a line. We are a bit (maybe) over cautious and have at least two backflow preventers on the system to flush.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
My TT has a black tank flush. I have never used it. I don't use a black tank treatment, either. I use plenty of water and a squirt of dish soap. We use the toilet for #1 and #2, along with flushing paper. I have never had a problem with odor, clogs, or tank level sensors. Occasionally if I know I am traveling to a park with full hookup, I will fill the black about half way with water and a bottle of Dollar Tree laundry detergent. I figure letting it slosh while traveling does some cleaning.

I know my tank is pretty clean. I looked in it from the bottom when I replaced my dump valves and looked in it from the top with a mirror when I replaced my toilet and dropped a flash light down the hole...lol

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Ahh a black tank flushing question.. I'll put on my "nice guy " pants..

- the reason the campground doesn't have a threaded connection is because there have been too many a$$hats in the past who tie up the dump station by back flushing the tanks until the water coming out is as clean as the water going in.
- By trying to come up with your own "adapter " you are becoming "one of those people". Whether you think you are or not.
- my TT is a 2005, it's never had a tank flusher, gets used for everything.. Drains fine, never has a smell.
-if you have a newish trailer, I suggest googling "the Geo method" its a great way to keep your tank clean. Without the need of using the flusher.
- Easy way to keep a tank clean, add by bucket, 4-5 gallons of water at the start of your camping trip, pour the water down the toilet. And use a good amount of water to flush after each use.. I use 1 bowl full of water for each #1 and two bowls for each #2. Now size of your tank comes into play, mine is a 45 gallon black tank, so I have lots of room to play with.. and can go for almost 7 days with 4 adults using the toilet.
- BTW your idea about plumbing into your fresh water supply, is a bad idea.. if not done in such a way with proper back flow preventers installed you will end up with black water getting into the fresh water system... in other words DONT DO IT.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
For our TT, I picked up this wand to clean the tank. I do it once per year, whether I like it or not.

I don't see the need to flush/fill each time unless I'm parking it for a few months or the season is closing fast. I try to have DW fill with water before we drive to the dump. Add more water at dump. I don't see the constant flush reasoning.

I do try to use this a much as I can to clean the Stinky Slinky, but when I can't, I can't... I just rinse with the hose provided and get the hell out of there fast!

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
I'm with @xxxapache. After I drain the black tank, I close the valve and pour a five-gallon bucket full of water down the commode then drain that. While the gray tank is draining I pour another bucket of water along with a good squirt of blue Dawn dish soap down the toilet.

My thinking is this: the first five gallons are just an extra rinse. The water with the dish soap will slosh around on the way to and from the storage shed. Then with the soapy water sitting in the tank between trips, any "solids" that may not have made it down the drain will disentigrate.

I can do this in about 10 minutes at the dump station including rinsing and storing the stinky slinky.

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
I have a black tank flush I only use it of I am the only one in line. If there is someone waiting i pull the black then the gray. Rinse my my hose and gone. The last night I tell everyone use lots of water even if you are doing number one. As Snow said do not be that guy. I have been behind that guy many times and it sucks.

ham fam

Jul 20, 2016
Kaukauna WI
Thanks for the advice. For the record, we've camped 6 times this year in our new camper, and not once have we spent time flushing at the campsite. I'm not arguing to spend extra time flushing. My idea, I believe would not take extra time.

For the argument of cross contamination, I already have that possibility. Unless I specifically use a non-potable water source, there's always a chance of cross contaminating, no matter how slim. Right now, I have 100 feet of garden hose at home, and another special blue hose that i use for flushing. However, the blue hose has a ball valve on the end. In an effort to minimize the chance for cross contamination, I pressurize the line with the ball valve close then hook up to the flush port, then open the ball valve. The reverse for disconnecting. But theoretically, i could still get some cross contamination back through the 125 feet of garden hose and back into my house. Although it's quite unlikely in my mind. Same theory in my idea of running off the freshwater tank. Use the existing back flow preventer, maybe add a second one. And flush the black tank, only while the gray tank empties, which seems to take about 2 minutes. Which i would think would be plenty of time to black flush.

Thoughts?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I am not that concerned with back flow into the hose. Its a non pressured system. Just use a diffrent hose then with what you drink with. I think its probably easier to get transfer of particals from the sewer line to your hands to the hose.

With that said, the pump from the camper will probably not give off enough pressure for the jets in the tank to work. Think of it like one of those rotary lawn sprinklers, low pressure and they dont spin , just leak a bit. So, probably a waste of time. I flush my tank at full hook up sotes, and if no one is waiting at the dump station.

Latest posts