Bringing a boat

Jan 24, 2016
Oklahoma
I have been wanting to bring a boat along with me to fish away from the shore, something small, like a 12' or 14' jon boat. Does anyone else bring a boat with them? Do you tow it on top of the camper or on the TV? I've also thought about an inflatable, but I would want to be able to attach a trolling motor, if any one has experience with that.

roybraddy

Super Active Member
Mar 23, 2016
King George, Virginia
I am not into boats but I always thought something like this would be a good idea to transport one or kayaks.. This is unused space you can use and not interfere with towing Trailers including fifth wheels...

KL7OrFc.jpg

Google Image
6gzcOkC.jpg

Google Images

This could be made out of PVC pipes...

Roy Ken
SoQ6BfGm.jpg

Jan 24, 2016
Oklahoma
I would like to take a boat because I have little boys who would love to get out on the water, otherwise, I would definitely just get a fishing pontoon.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I have a buddy who goes to Maine on a regular basis. Although he is a kayaker is wife is not. So he bought himself a 2 seater sea eagle inflatable with a motor mount. Packs down into a suitcase so doesnt take up real estate on top of the car where he also brings his kayak and paddle board. I had a sea eagle kayak myself and it was really pretty rugged. Had to drag it on boat ramps and no holes. I even had my dog in it once but she didn't want anything to do with it. Just don't expect to win any awards on speed. An inflatable is designed for casual trips out on a lake. Also inflatables may be more influenced by wind at least my kayak was as it road higher in the water. So inflatables do serve a purpose especially if you don't have the room for a bigger boat or the tow vehicle to handle anything heavier. A popup roof can only support something like 200 pounds and if you have an AC that takes up a lot of it. Any weight in/on the Tow vehicle may interfere with how much you could tow so do keep that in mind.

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
I’ve recently been toying with getting something like this Intex Excursion 4 or maybe the heavier duty Mariner 4. Then pair it with their motor mount and you have a full-fledged motor boat for under $150. I figured it would be easy to haul either deflated in the TV or inflated on top of either the TV or pup (upside down over the A/C). There is a review on amazon where a guy even fitted a plywood floor in his and installed swiveling bass boat seats.

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Excurs...rd_wg=A2jIS&psc=1&refRID=V0T8PTZDWZRJ7RQ7EESH

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Motor-...515943653&sr=1-13&keywords=intex+challenger+3

I have the Intex Challenger K1 kayak and have been very pleased with it. It’s actually pretty tough, so I think this boat should hold up well, relative to its price at least.

Jan 24, 2016
Oklahoma
I'm not looking for anything that will pull a tube or get me across the lake, I'm more looking for a little cove boat I can slap a trolling motor on and buzz out to the middle. I've looked at the smaller inflatables and I worry about their stability with a 4 year old little boy on it. We are well under our tow limit on our TV, so I am thinking something I can throw on the roof that will add a little more of a stable bottom. So maybe a way to mount a Jon Boat on the roof rack.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
I carried a 16ft canoe directly strapped down on the 12ft roof of our pup a few times for a guys weekend with a friend..

Also depending on your tow vehicle, your current pup (will have to be mod'ed for this), you comfort level towing and lastly and most importantly, your States regulations, Triple towing might be an option..

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
I personally prefer to carry the boats, 2 15' sot kayaks now days, on the tv. I use Yakima bars mounted to the crew cab roof. It's easier to strap them down properly. There's much less handling, especially if you can't get a site on the waterfront. And less stress on the pup roof.

Last edited:

Adirondack PUP

May 8, 2015
Upstate New York
I have a SportPal which is a square stern canoe with added flotation. You can stand up in no problem. It can take up to a 5hp gas outboard. I carry it on the roof rack of the truck.

Raddison is another similar design.

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
My Viking is a rarity in that it came from the factory with a boat rack on the roof. Have used it though not a lot. Capacity according the manual is 135lb, so capacity isn't a lot. Maybe enough for a10ft Aluminum or so. I have an inflatable pontoon, much like gladecreek illustrated, it actually fits better on my Explorer's roof rack, in my pickup it just sits in the bed. It has a motor mount, and I have used my 35lb electric motor with it.

To answer your question, do people bring boats?, here in Central Oregon, I see car topper boats, canoes, kayaks and such go by on racked pop up roofs all the time. There is a guy here in town I see hauling a 14ft Smokercraft on top of his 10ft pup quite a bit. He has a custom, and I assume removable, rack attached to the tongue and rear bumper. IMO, and with young kids in mind, I think you are on track thinking a Jon or similar.

Good luck however you choose.

BelchFire

I speak fluent vise-grip
Mar 29, 2012
SE Georgia
I take four kayaks with us from time to time. Two on the p'up using home made racks and two on the pickup using Yakima racks.

IMG_20140710_100601_707.jpg

Jan 24, 2016
Oklahoma
Thank you, everyone! I think it sounds like I am going to just mount it on the roof. Our current rack is rated to 150 lbs, so it should be plenty for a 10 or 12 foot jon boat.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
A friend of mine also puts a 10 ft Jon boat on top of his minivan to take along. He welded up at tall 'T' that extends up from his trailer hitch so that the boat sits on the luggage racks on the roof of the van, and hangs off the back of the roof, but is supported by this tall 'T'. He has a little 5hp outboard that he puts on there for getting in and out of the weeds.

Mike1603

Oct 23, 2017
Alachua, FL
This is exactly why I'm giving up my popup and going to a class A. I want to haul my boat to many of the places we camp at. Gonna miss the pup, but I want to take the boat. We are going to St Joes in less than two weeks and I want to have the boat for fishing. Boat is paid off in July so the pup will probably get sold this summer and we will make our annual Tennessee camping trip in August in a new to us class A.