Bunk end cutting out power

rojoloco

Oct 9, 2021
Anybody have a solution to the bunk end cutting out power on my Fleetwood Avalon? The rear bunk has a plate that depresses a "kill switch" when fully extended. However, when I get on the bunk, too much movement leads to the power cutting out. I can only assume the bunk is sagging under the weight just enough to stop depressing the kill switch. Last time, my wife and I chose to sleep on the front bunk and the kids slept on the rear bunk in hopes is would be less weight. It did help but power still cut out one night from them shifting in their sleep. I really want to fix this.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
One thing is to figure out why the bunk is sagging enough to do that. For instance, in our first popup, body weight in the bunk (it only had one!) made the door fit funny and sometimes open. We discovered that the short section of wall between the door and bunk had become detached from the floor. Once that was repaired the problem went away.
You might also look at the bunk supports, to see if they need to be adjusted so it doesn't sag.

If something like that is not the issue, look to see if you need to add a small pad of some wort to make more contact. In our second popup, we had the galley switch, and the spacing of the switch under the counter was just a wee off. Adding a wooden "pad" to the counter side fixed our intermittent issues with the switch.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I have a Fleetwood Highlander too and agree that this shouldn't be happening. Are you SURE you're pulling the bunk out far enough? Like, after you pull it out, pull it out some more. :p And the support pole thingies aren't bent at all?

rojoloco

Oct 9, 2021
One thing is to figure out why the bunk is sagging enough to do that. For instance, in our first popup, body weight in the bunk (it only had one!) made the door fit funny and sometimes open. We discovered that the short section of wall between the door and bunk had become detached from the floor. Once that was repaired the problem went away.
You might also look at the bunk supports, to see if they need to be adjusted so it doesn't sag.

If something like that is not the issue, look to see if you need to add a small pad of some wort to make more contact. In our second popup, we had the galley switch, and the spacing of the switch under the counter was just a wee off. Adding a wooden "pad" to the counter side fixed our intermittent issues with the switch.
I know they're sagging but only because I tested it and could see it. But it's so minimal. I could put something behind the plate but I'd rather not just bad-aid it. As for my walls, they're all firmly attached.

rojoloco

Oct 9, 2021
I have a Fleetwood Highlander too and agree that this shouldn't be happening. Are you SURE you're pulling the bunk out far enough? Like, after you pull it out, pull it out some more. :p And the support pole thingies aren't bent at all?
The bunks are definitely out far enough. He likes don't appear to be bent at all either.

rojoloco

Oct 9, 2021
By the way, is it possible that the metal plate has gotten bent or loosened?
I can't rule out out because I'm not sure how it's supposed to be when new. I did try bending it back a little before I extended the bunk and it seems to have made it a bit better. It still does occur though.