Bunk end overextends on one corner.

bubbafrye

Sep 25, 2019
Seattle
Hi all. I’ve been on the forum for a couple of years, and appreciate all the great tips and ideas everyone has shared.

I have a Coleman Columbia pop-up from right around 1990. One side of one of the bunkends will extend beyond the logical stopping point. I have crawled over every inch of the bed rail, comparing it to the opposite side, but I can’t seem to find any visible difference.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 0D3C0DF6-872A-4B0D-AA68-424C72AB4978.jpeg
    0D3C0DF6-872A-4B0D-AA68-424C72AB4978.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 21

bubbafrye

Sep 25, 2019
Seattle
Forgive the ignorance, but what do you mean? Are you talking about the far end of the slides, not seen in the pictures? Those look 1:1 with the opposite side of the bunk, which has a definitive stop to it.

Thanks for your reply.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Measure everything about the roller and stop locations from side to side. And the mounting location to the bottom of the bunk

bubbafrye

Sep 25, 2019
Seattle
Thanks for the reply Raycfe. If the goal of measuring is to see if the bed slides were installed true, I don’t think that’s the issue. It isn’t that the bed is crooked, it is just that the one side would come clean out if the other side were not functioning properly.

I wasn’t completely clear in my original post. The side that is overextending moves freely and would completely disengage if the other side weren't stopping as intended. It seems like whatever would prevent the bed slide from completely sliding off the camper is just broken on that side. But I can’t seem to track down where that stop is to fix or replace it.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
There should be a stop somewhere. Pull the buck out to the correct position and search where the play is in the problem track. You may be as simple as a missing bolt or a spacer at the extended end.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I agree that there should be a stop somewhere. On my little Viking (2003 model), the larger bunk also began extending out too far. I didn't realize it until one day the outer support poles acted like they were too short. After some troubleshooting, I found a 7/16 bolt near the stop point on each bunk rail. It turned out to be the stop. Over time from multiple extensions of the bunk, the bolt had moved allowing the bunk to over extend. As you can see in the photo, I repositioning the stop and put a small plate near it so that it could never accidentally move again. I added this plate on both sides on both bunks.

Bunk stop.jpg