Bunkend support poles

Lane Jacobs

Mar 18, 2022
I know the manufacturer says that the bunk can hold 1,200 lbs. But I was always afraid to move out toward the far end of the bunk for fear of breaking it off and falling. I always felt like I was sleeping over a cliff. With that support I made, the bunk is as solid as a rock. I now have no fear to move way out. I don't ever climb out of the rear bunk. I have no need to use it as a bed since I am alone. Instead, I use the rear bunk as a place to store things while on site. That frees up all the other space in the small Viking.

I mean no disrespect! But those poles that Briorick shows in his photo look problematic to me. They look like they could easily be knocked out, or just fall out as the supporting ground settles. It appears that the first time you put any weight on the bunk, the supports would settle a bit. My stabilizer jacks sometime settle a bit after a few days of camping. When that happens, I would have to go around and adjust them. I don't have to adjust the bunk support with my T support. I considered something like the poles for the rear bunk because there is no tongue back there to attach a support. But in many of the camp sites I go to the ground is very uneven, and sometimes there is snow. It would take me a while to adjust them and make them firm. That's when I came up with the T frame I made. My device fits in between the two factory supports.
Again, great advice. We have ordered and received the stabilizer jacks, but I’m now rethinking the jacks. They were pricey, are very heavy and having to readjust them for the reasons you mentioned is making your T-support look like a better option! Now we need to figure out how to “build” it. We are not the handiest couple! Thanks again, Grandpa Dan
P.S. My husband’s name is Dan and the grands call him GrandDanny.❣️

Lane Jacobs

Mar 18, 2022
Again, great advice. We have ordered and received the stabilizer jacks, but I’m now rethinking the jacks. They were pricey, are very heavy and having to readjust them for the reasons you mentioned is making your T-support look like a better option! Now we need to figure out how to “build” it. We are not the handiest couple! Thanks again, Grandpa Dan
Oops! Without my glasses, I thought your name was Dan, not Don…

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Its all good, I am sure don has been called dan before! [:D]
I've been called a lot of things in the past. Some from my X-wife and her new, now X, husband are not printable here. My mother called me "Donald", my Aunt called me "Donnie". My Handle of some of my older Youtube videos is "Bucky". My younger sister called me "Dinnie-Donnie". Mikey, my favorite cousin's kids call me "Uncle McDonald". Sometimes when I would screw-up, my Dad would call me "Stoop-head". My daughter's soon to be X-husband calls me a "Son-of-a-b-i-you know what". But the worse thing I've been called was from my Doctor. He called me a Geriatric.

I forgot one. Back in the old days when I was active on CB radio, my Handle was "Boonie-Buster". I still use that Handle sometimes.

Last edited:

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I just used a 2x2 piece of wood and cut the angles with a saw. The metal dowels on the bottom came from an old metal rod I had. But you could just use a big nail. I put it together with screws and wood glued everything. I also put a small cloth on the top so it would not scratch the underside of the bunk. The Bungee cord I found on the side of the road. The stops I attached to the underside of the bunk to keep it from sliding forward were just some scrap wood I had.

It was not difficult to make. The hard part is making sure that it is the correct heigth. I made a mistake and cut mine about a 1/4 of an inch too short. So I had to add a small shim on the bottom to make it fit more snug. My suggestion would be to make the vertical post a little longer than you think necessary. Then fit it in place and whittle it down for a proper fit a little at a time.

Jaygirl

Aug 3, 2021
Just seeing this post. I also bought the single cargo jack but originally got it to help me lift the beds to get the poles in. I mostly camp by myself and those king and queen beds are a bear. The pole does work great. I put a piece of wood on the ground and a longer piece on top. I leave the jack set up under the bed that is slept on and it has never moved on me. I am sure by now you have already solved your issue but just thought I'd chime in.

Briorick

Sep 2, 2012
Southern Illinois
Looks like many of us have figured out how to get creative.

Here is an update to the poles I have made for my bunk end. I used an old Metal Frame my pool I had taken down this past summer and utilized the poles.

Cutting and joining them to 59" height, and then painting them gloss black to match the existing bed poles. Cut to 59" ( height under bunk from ground up is 60" ) to allow for any discrepancies in the ground elevation, and then adding blocks under the poles, if needed.

The poles snap apart in 3 pieces and are attached to the underside of the bunk with
Velcro Loop Straps, so they aren't allowed to / cannot move. When in place with the bed weight on it, they are solid, and so is the bed.

My thanks to Campworthy on the FR Forum, and her many suggestions and tips, I have a more solid and stable bunk end. Priceless!

Here are a few pics. In addition, I am going to make a crossbar to join the 2 legs together for more stability, and possibly utilizing it as a towel bar.

In the picture below we were parked on an incline so we had to use some cut up 2x6's to fill in the gap. On level ground none are needed.

And "NO" we weren't the ones who got too personal with the electrical box. LOL.

Attachments

• 20221015_150753.jpg
    20221015_150753.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221015_150828.jpg
    20221015_150828.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221015_150817.jpg
    20221015_150817.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jaygirl

Aug 3, 2021
Looks like many of us have figured out how to get creative.

Here is an update to the poles I have made for my bunk end. I used an old Metal Frame my pool I had taken down this past summer and utilized the poles.

Cutting and joining them to 59" height, and then painting them gloss black to match the existing bed poles. Cut to 59" ( height under bunk from ground up is 60" ) to allow for any discrepancies in the ground elevation, and then adding blocks under the poles, if needed.

The poles snap apart in 3 pieces and are attached to the underside of the bunk with
Velcro Loop Straps, so they aren't allowed to / cannot move. When in place with the bed weight on it, they are solid, and so is the bed.

My thanks to Campworthy on the FR Forum, and her many suggestions and tips, I have a more solid and stable bunk end. Priceless!

Here are a few pics. In addition, I am going to make a crossbar to join the 2 legs together for more stability, and possibly utilizing it as a towel bar.

In the picture below we were parked on an incline so we had to use some cut up 2x6's to fill in the gap. On level ground none are needed.

And "NO" we weren't the ones who got too personal with the electrical box. LOL.
Love it and beautiful work! You also made the V braces? Is that an add on or did your pup come with that set up? I would love to add that to mine to help keep the beds high enough to get the other bars in their slots but can't figure out how to attach them to the trailer. The queen bed has that gasket running along the top edge. My 1208 is a great trailer but not sure how much longer I will be able to manage it. More reasons to add more muscle to this 1001b frame I guess.lol

Briorick

Sep 2, 2012
Southern Illinois
Love it and beautiful work! You also made the V braces? Is that an add on or did your pup come with that set up? I would love to add that to mine to help keep the beds high enough to get the other bars in their slots but can't figure out how to attach them to the trailer. The queen bed has that gasket running along the top edge. My 1208 is a great trailer but not sure how much longer I will be able to manage it. More reasons to add more muscle to this 1001b frame I guess.lol
Thanks, it's amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it.

No, the "V" poles are the originals that came with the Popup. I just made another free-standing set to support the weight from the ground up. Both together work well.
Although, I am trying to figure out a way to make a set that is All-in-One.

As for the gasket along the top edge. Sadly, the way it is constructed, on mine anyway, doesn't actually allow for the bed to lay completely flat atop the top rail. There is a gap about 1/2", making the bed poles able to move about. You have to make sure they are seated in their slots. This needs a better design as well.

Here is a picture of the gap I am talking about. When I had my 2 previous Popups, neither of them had this gap problem. They sat on top the rail perfectly. Total contact.

This pole bracket was made for the rear Queen bed. I like Grandpa Dons setup utilizing the tongue as well for the front bunk.

Attachments

• 20221015_152633.jpg
    20221015_152633.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221015_152855.jpg
    20221015_152855.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Jaygirl

Aug 3, 2021
Thanks, it's amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it.

No, the "V" poles are the originals that came with the Popup. I just made another free-standing set to support the weight from the ground up. Both together work well.
Although, I am trying to figure out a way to make a set that is All-in-One.

As for the gasket along the top edge. Sadly, the way it is constructed, on mine anyway, doesn't actually allow for the bed to lay completely flat atop the top rail. There is a gap about 1/2", making the bed poles able to move about. You have to make sure they are seated in their slots. This needs a better design as well.

Here is a picture of the gap I am talking about. When I had my 2 previous Popups, neither of them had this gap problem. They sat on top the rail perfectly. Total contact.

This pole bracket was made for the rear Queen bed. I like Grandpa Dons setup utilizing the tongue as well for the front bunk.
Yes I see what you mean. Thank you for responding and providing the photos. Very helpful. I have a spot reserved in Dec for a few days. Thankfully my sister is coming with, so getting the beds braced should be easier. The single cargo jack will still come in handy for us. I am so looking forward to it.

Bullfrog Bheer

Super Active Member
Feb 19, 2010
Central Wisconsin
I made a "T" shaped wooden support to add to the front bunk on my Viking. Even though the bunk can support 1,200 lbs, I always felt like I was sleeping hanging over a cliff.

View attachment 88472
Well at least you painted it to match. I have a friend who made something similar and it's still raw wood. I keep bugging him to paint it to match.