Buying a used popup out of state questions

freshme4t

Aug 2, 2022
Hello again. I started a post a few days ago about buying new. After checking out a few new ones, I've decided to expand my search and consider buying one used.

I found a 2013 which seems to be in good condition but it's in another state. I live in PA and the trailer is currently registered in NJ. Can anyone provide any insight to the purchase process? I bought a scooter from someone in NJ once and he literally signed over the title to me there at his house and gave me a typed receipt for the cash I gave him. Then I brought it back to PA where I registered it at a Fast Tags place.

I assume the process is the same with transferring the title, but what about being legal on the trip back? I can't just roll it home with no plate can I?

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
You can get a transport or in-transit tag from the DMV.

I bought one from my state when I bought my camper. It was only about 5 bucks and good for 3 days. I did it online and printed the permit at home.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
Just make sure the title is signed over to you and the registration is up to date. Of course you can drive it home with the Jersey plates. There's no reason to take the plates off until you register it in your home state. They'll take the old plates and give you new ones. There's lots of visitors from out of state in every state.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
That’s interesting. Maybe for a week he would consider buying another one? Then change his mind? I think there is some latitude there to get the trailer home.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Use the old plates to get it home and mail them back to the seller. Borrow a friends plate to get it home ..... Make a cardboard plate .... or none at all.
Over the years I have done it all theses way.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
We bought two popups out of state in MS and MI and a boat in PA.

I found my DMV was a wealth of knowledge. They were able to tell me what I needed in each state. Each state has different rules. And the rules of the State of sale must followed, not the rules of the State you are bringing it to.

Call your dmv the cam tell you what you need (title, no-title, notarized, not-nortized, bill-of-sale, etc....

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
We bought two popups out of state in MS and MI and a boat in PA.

I found my DMV was a wealth of knowledge. They were able to tell me what I needed in each state. Each state has different rules. And the rules of the State of sale must followed, not the rules of the State you are bringing it to.

Call your dmv the cam tell you what you need (title, no-title, notarized, not-nortized, bill-of-sale, etc....

Bingo!

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Just look up whats needed to register it in pa. Then make sure you getball that. Tags, yea, in nj they want them back , ask the seller about it. I left my plates on when I sold my pup. Buyer siad he would return them. Guy never returned them, or registered it. I know because he lived in nj and I keep getting renewal notices. So , its really up to the owner for that.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Just look up whats needed to register it in pa. Then make sure you getball that. Tags, yea, in nj they want them back , ask the seller about it. I left my plates on when I sold my pup. Buyer siad he would return them. Guy never returned them, or registered it. I know because he lived in nj and I keep getting renewal notices. So , its really up to the owner for that.

This is risky too though. I had a coworker who sold a boat/trailer like that. Buyer said they would transfer title and tags. A couple years later he got some fines mailed to him... it was left parked illegally and he was still the legal owner.