Camper Envy

Lana

Jan 21, 2021
And all closed up and ready to go. Open its about 30 feet, roughly the same as the pop up I had.
That is really nice! We saw a Jayco with a bed that slides out but the bid was in and it was very hard to get a sense of when it expands. Did a search and found some Starcrafts around that do this, so we will look at these to compare. thanks for the rec!

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Do you have to fold down the dinette and couch before you slide the king bed back in? 🤔
Yes, but you get use of all 3 beds , kitchen and bathroom when its closed up. So, easy to stop and use the bathroom or kitchen. Grab a cold soda from the fridge. Lol. Or pull in somewhere and sleep. Some slids will block these things.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
just to note as well, Rockwood Roo and Flagstaff Shamrocks are twin brands, and manufactured on the lines. Only difference is colors and decals.. so looking around, you may find the Flagstaff version as well.
our Shamrock is a 2016 - no floor issues at all and we get a lot of use out of ours. we do pay attention to the roof and bed area for leaks. installing a gutter over the bed end helps a lot - getting ready to do that to the back bed.

side note: we also went from a HW to the hybrid. we used the HW for 6 years before getting the hybrid. i found it is not the set up/take down of the camper itself that takes the time... it is all the stuff we bring along.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
just to note as well, Rockwood Roo and Flagstaff Shamrocks are twin brands, and manufactured on the lines. Only difference is colors and decals.. so looking around, you may find the Flagstaff version as well.
our Shamrock is a 2016 - no floor issues at all and we get a lot of use out of ours. we do pay attention to the roof and bed area for leaks. installing a gutter over the bed end helps a lot - getting ready to do that to the back bed.

side note: we also went from a HW to the hybrid. we used the HW for 6 years before getting the hybrid. i found it is not the set up/take down of the camper itself that takes the time... it is all the stuff we bring along.
In the pup, all the stuff I had stored on the floor would have to get moved before you could even set up. Now , with some full height cabinites, everything has a spot. There is always a bit of set up, but so much easier.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
In the pup, all the stuff I had stored on the floor would have to get moved before you could even set up. Now , with some full height cabinites, everything has a spot. There is always a bit of set up, but so much easier.
yeah - but you had a regular wall, she's got a highwall which has a bit more permanent storage. our highwall did have a three overhead hanging shelves to put up and stock and the bathroom set up was minimal. but we spend so much more time on the stuff we bring rather than the camper itself.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Lol, always more to add, it seems I purge 3 thibgs and add 4 new ones to take there place. I counted for the three of us last year, I had packed, 8 folding chairs. Lol. I widdled it down to 5 for the disney trip and it should stay there. At least when they get wet , i can pull a dry one out of the compartment.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Yes, but you get use of all 3 beds , kitchen and bathroom when its closed up. So, easy to stop and use the bathroom or kitchen. Grab a cold soda from the fridge. Lol. Or pull in somewhere and sleep. Some slids will block these things.

Using the rear slideout bed while in the "travel" position, may not be recommended by the manufacturer.. I know on Outback models like mine, specifically state not to use the bed while stowed..

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
if one of our chairs get wet - you will just have to suck it buttercup and get a wet butt...... LOL
Or do what I do and take a piece of reflectix I keep on hand to use as a sit-upon. Comes in handy when sitting on a chair on a cold day as well or to prevent a wet bottom.

Reactions: NLB

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Using the rear slideout bed while in the "travel" position, may not be recommended by the manufacturer.. I know on Outback models like mine, specifically state not to use the bed while stowed..
This^^^. I follow a video blogger on YouTube about a full timer who used his couch while it was still in stored position and destroyed his flooring.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Mine says its all good. And I did have to reinforce the slide rails this year. They are not going to move now. They drilled the original holes on the outside of the rail so they split on the end. I have used it like that a few times, but it really isnt much to push the button to slide it out, you just need the stabs out. It it nice to have the bathroom on the road, when i fist got it , i forgot I could do that. Lol.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
We moved from a PUP to a HTT last year. The primary reason was to have a kitchen and toilet on the road. The setup and take down never bothered me and the HTT isn't much quicker for us. Closing the camper is faster, but I still have to detached the screen room and put it away. I still have to pack the kitchen stuff that was in the screen room as well as the ezup over the picnic table and all the gear around the site.

Being able to use the bathroom and kitchen on the road is great. Packing supplies for a trip is easier and quicker.

The down sides huge drop in fuel economy! At 75 it dropped 6-7 mpg. Cutting though the drive-thru on the road is pretty much a thing of the past. The bunks are smaller. And I think I prefer the cassette toilet to the RV toilet. A screen room to attach to the awning cost more.

At the end of the day the HTT edges over the PUP, but not a run away win. In hindsight I wish I had kept both. Our spring trip will take nearly 40 extra gallons of fuel for the round-trip than pulling the PUP unless I drive slower. It will also add the time for an extra fuel stop each way. Even driving slower I will have to add a fuel stop each way as when pulling the PUP it was time for fuel when we got to the campground. This time it's going to really cost me. We are going to have more grandchildren than will fit in the TV, so we are bringing the minivan too. At least we'll all fit in it to do our running around while there.

Lana

Jan 21, 2021
We looked at a few HTTs last weekend while we were on a trip. Wow! The Rockwood Roo 233S is ginormous. IMO it's more like 2 steps up from our HW. DH is not concerned about it....but it's huge to me. One thing that drives me crazy....why do these places not clean them beforehand? It had light interior and marks on the dinette cushions that might have come off but who knows and overall marks and dirt elsewhere. Since we are pretty OCD with our PUP....it was distracting. But it did make me think I want darker fabric. Sales guy said they clean it after we buy it. We may drive this weekend to look at another 233S (2017) and a IKSS to compare.

Thanks for all the great pros/cons and things to think about. Will let you know if we decide to go HTT. Sorta sad if I think about it...cuz I love our HW296. DH is ready to roll though.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
LOL if you think the 233S is ginormus - wait til you see the IKSS - with the opposing slides there is a lot of open floor space. The IKSS was one of my favorite floorplans with the kitchen island but i did not like the slide taking up that much awning space. also whatever you look at - be sure that you can access the bathroom and fridge when closed up. we often stop along the way and we are able to use the bathroom in the camper or access the fridge for drinks or lunch.

I understand the hesitancy, we would go to the RV shows looking at the hybrids, but there was not a floorplan good enough for us to move from our HW277 - but about 6 years ago, they introduced a new floorplan that has a slide out wardrobe closet - max clothes storage!! which with all us Gals - yeppers!! we had already made all of our season's reservations stating we had a popup, and then show up with the hybrid - (no issues though as the HW popup was just about as long opened as the hybrid is opened - so we fit in all our reserved spaces.)

Lana

Jan 21, 2021
Good point on the awning. The RV place we are going has a 23WS too which I see you have. I think we are leaning towards 3 beds with 3 boys (14, 14, and 5). As for closet space these boys will wear any ole pair of shorts and tees.
We were thinking the same of reservations. We have a PUP site reserved at Fort Wilderness coming up....so I was concerned but they do have some bigger PUP sites......but we may not have by then either.
How much can your Durango tow? Any issues with the HTT?