Camper Envy

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
yes, i would lean toward the 3 bed if we had that many kids. my durango tows 7200 lbs and handles the 23WS great. I do feel it back there though. We average about 3000 miles/years towing and have taken it all the way out to Grand Canyon from Md over the Rockies at Denver - handled that elevation change wonderfully. i have a tongue weight limit with a weight distribution hitch of 720 lbs, so that also figured into our choice of HTT - and our 23WS tongue weight loaded is 620 lbs with no fresh water in the tank (it is forward the axles, so can add to the tongue weight).
The limiting factor with the Durango is cargo/people in the SUV when towing as the camper tongue weight cuts into just about 1/2 of the cargo capacity of SUV.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
For disney. Lol. And I have a whole trip report on the disboards, under the same name in the camping section. If you need any disney advice, camping, planing, just ask. I did it 2x so far and everyrhing worked out both times perfectly. Its more work then fun though. So you do need to have everything planned out. Or you will miss stuff you want to do.

Reactions: NLB

Lana

Jan 21, 2021
That is awesome! I want to take long distance trips and some of the reason DH is pushing for the HTT as he doesn't want to 'move along' in the PUP. I am from MD originally (the Eastern Shore) and grew up camping all over that area, VA, and PA.
We have a PUP site at Disney. Have you seen any HTTs in those sites? Wouldnt want to be kicked out! Can you send me a link to your Dis board post? I'd love to read more on FW. I am going to request the same loop I stayed on as a kid in our Jayco PUP.
Right now with the Genie and the crowds we are going for a week but only have 3 days in park. Might decide to add, but we might just chill in the campground or do a WP too. what are the pros/cons on the campground? Esp when you say it is a lot of work.....I am going to bring food for sandwiches and breakfast items, but I dont plan on doing a lot of cooking. No sewage connection at the PUP sites means our grey tank will be full in about 2-3 days if we used the sink inside.
We are really excited to try FW out. anything you can share would be great!

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Full trip report, you may have to join to read it.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
This is on a tent site, we did the same thing, sold the pop up before the trip. They may upgrade you on check in or make you move during your stay. But they will alow it and will not turn you away. Ill post some other stuff about the fort. Read the trip report and you will see the plans I had and what worked and didnt. Resized_20191029_195045_763487300540520.jpeg

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
That is awesome! I want to take long distance trips and some of the reason DH is pushing for the HTT as he doesn't want to 'move along' in the PUP. I am from MD originally (the Eastern Shore) and grew up camping all over that area, VA, and PA.
We have a PUP site at Disney. Have you seen any HTTs in those sites? Wouldnt want to be kicked out! Can you send me a link to your Dis board post? I'd love to read more on FW. I am going to request the same loop I stayed on as a kid in our Jayco PUP.
Right now with the Genie and the crowds we are going for a week but only have 3 days in park. Might decide to add, but we might just chill in the campground or do a WP too. what are the pros/cons on the campground? Esp when you say it is a lot of work.....I am going to bring food for sandwiches and breakfast items, but I dont plan on doing a lot of cooking. No sewage connection at the PUP sites means our grey tank will be full in about 2-3 days if we used the sink inside.
We are really excited to try FW out. anything you can share would be great!
Opened our HTT is almost the same size as our PUP was when opened. We switched primarily to have use of the bathroom and kitchen while traveling. If you are water wise you can go several days as long as you don't shower. I usually empty the grey water every day anyway so the tote doesn't get so heavy. We changed campers last year after reservations were made for with the PUP. After contacting the campgrounds (didn't go to Disney) none had a problem with it as long as everything still fits on the site.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
Towels are hard to dry. I've resorted to large garbage bags.

I'm gonna see how the gazebo thing works ourbfor me this year.
depends on the towel - i use microfiber towels and they dry quick. also have a drying rack that i can put out.
i use the gazebo thing as well - but only if the bugs are bad or we are set up for a whole week...(the drying rack and gazebo are things that make breaking camp longer - "all the stuff we bring"!!)

Lana

Jan 21, 2021
by gazebo, do yall mean one of those pentagon type screen rooms? Drying room is a great idea....I just added that to our disney trip list as I have been worried about our line getting rained own...and I can put the drying rack under the awning if its calling for rain that day.

At this point, I think we are waiting a bit to consider the HTT. I am tempted to try to sell our PUP on our own vs. trading in...I think the dealers value is much less. We will see what we decide.

Happy camping! Can't wait to get out there.

Lana

Jan 21, 2021
Full trip report, you may have to join to read it.
Loved the full trip report!! I hope some of the kinks with Genie + are worked out, but with that said...I saw where SDD and RoR were down most of the day yesterday. Going with low expectations and hoping for the best.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yea, only park I would get the g + is HS and maybe MK. Not really needed at MK if you do 2 days there or go back at night and hit up JC. Or spring for the extra mine train thing. If you dont hit mine train first thing, and everyone goes there first, you can knock out almost all of MK by like 1 pm

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
by gazebo, do yall mean one of those pentagon type screen rooms? Drying room is a great idea....I just added that to our disney trip list as I have been worried about our line getting rained own...and I can put the drying rack under the awning if its calling for rain that day.

At this point, I think we are waiting a bit to consider the HTT. I am tempted to try to sell our PUP on our own vs. trading in...I think the dealers value is much less. We will see what we decide.

Happy camping! Can't wait to get out there.
yes - i am refering to a screen room when i mentioned gazebo. (our drying rack fits under the bed slide out - and fit under the bed slide out in our highwall - so it kept the awning open for us to sit under.)

Breckler23

Mar 8, 2022
We have a 3 bunk hybrid and love the space it gives relative to it's closed up footprint. We're thinking of going to a TT with an actual bunkhouse, but it will need to be stored elsewhere because it won't fit nicely next to our house like the hybrid does.
What kind of htt do you have?

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
So everyone said we would upgrade in no time when we bought our pop up, and we thought they were all crazy:)

After LOTS of trips last year and pulling into sites at dark on Friday (our kids don't get out of school until 430pm), my husband has major hybrid envy. We watched folks set up in no time and pop down on Sunday after we had been working for quite awhile and then they roll out before us. Maybe our RW HW takes more time than a smaller PUP to set up? Or maybe we are just slow:)

Even with the gas situation, he is really pushing for a hybrid. He does the towing, the backing, and the setting up, so if it makes him happy....

We are going to go see a 2019 Roo 233S this weekend and a 2018 Coachman 21TQX. They are different sizes as the Roo is longer and has a pop out dinette. Anyone have either of these models or any other words of wisdom? I've read the threads on swaying/towing and leaking concerns.

Also, we are going to WDW this spring and staying in a pop-up site. From what I have read, as long as you fit you are ok to stay in those sites (there is no sewer hook up). This will be our first time camping there and as it is driving distance for us, we are hoping we really enjoy it. Any past experiences there would be great too.

Thanks!!
I have a 2015 233s. (Flagstaff same camper diff. stickers)
Similar things as a popup.

I added 3” queen size mattress pads to my beds.

I have popup gizmos and reflectux to the bunk windows.

I use an EAZ- Lift recurve R3 weight distribution hitch

If the tires are not new, just replace them. $500 will relieve a lot if grief.

The front bunk seams take a lot of abuse from rain and wind. Check them regularly.

The bunks have a gasket to seal them when closed. Close the bunks and make sure that it makes even contact all the way around. You actually adjust them by adding electrical tape to the latch lugs. If they dont water will leak in when closed up.

One thing to consider with thisbfloor olan. With the camper closed up, you can use the bathroom and kitchen. So you can make yourself a sandwich at a rest stop.

You can pack food before the trip as well. You can also have Icecream in the freezer ;).

Also you can turtle (not use the bunks in colder weather. We use one bunk now the kids are gone.

Attachments

• D6C4EDEA-F527-436B-88BA-9CF34161CAC9.jpeg
    D6C4EDEA-F527-436B-88BA-9CF34161CAC9.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 16
  • F45896F5-C8BA-4D8C-82C5-E87951681E8C.jpeg
    F45896F5-C8BA-4D8C-82C5-E87951681E8C.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 05D89680-7054-4314-A31E-DE0EFDAA9232.jpeg
    05D89680-7054-4314-A31E-DE0EFDAA9232.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 17
  • CF62E6ED-92BC-41CD-8EF6-1786492DF7BC.jpeg
    CF62E6ED-92BC-41CD-8EF6-1786492DF7BC.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Spaceace5150

Oct 1, 2014
Great thread with lots of good info. Hard not to have camper envy when there are only one or two pop ups in the whole park.

Limiting factor for me is my tow vehicle. I can't justify buying a truck or larger vehicle with a short camping season...

RDWRER

Jul 31, 2015
Kentucky
We just got a HTT last fall-A Shamrock 233s and we absolutely love it! Our only regret is we didn’t do it sooner. The set up and tear down is SO much easier. The space is amazing. One night stays are no problem now. It has cut our pack up time to an hour versus the 3 hours it took to pack up the pop up.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
3 hours it took to pack up the pop up
You must have a lot of stuff or too much help :D. Seriously, with the exception of the screen room for the awning I could do it faster by myself. The most time consuming pack up was when DW decided to slide in the rear bunk with me inside stowing the gear. My travel mug (with the last of the coffee) was on the counter. The bunk knocked it over then rolled it under the bunk so hard it popped the lid off soaking me and half the gear on the floor with hot coffee. At least half the CG knew how I felt about it (not proud of that moment). Setup was usually about an hour and pack up was about an hour and a half if I had help with the screen room and left to do the rest myself. Never could get the family to understand that balance is important. They would pack rear to front regardless of weight. Now we have a HTT with the door at the back. Packing goes way smoother now and not having to pack and stow the counter top shelves and the stuff on them saves a lot of time as well. Prepping for a trip is way easier now. The ability to pull over and have a toilet, fridge, and water to wash hands is awesome. The only real down side is it dropped our towing mpg by 5-6 mpg. I've done solo outings and not even open the bunks, just sleep on the sofa.

Last edited: