??? Campground Theft, How Often ???

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Hitch locks and the like will only slow em down. If you want to really make em look for an easier opportunity take a wheel off when in storage.
Locks, chains, cable will not stop a determined pro, but will keep an opportunist at bay.
When I lock up my ebike I take the battery and seat off. Why? Because most people don’t. My bike looks like a pita. ( pun intended).

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Hitch locks and the like will only slow em down. If you want to really make em look for an easier opportunity take a wheel off when in storage.
Locks, chains, cable will not stop a determined pro, but will keep an opportunist at bay.
When I lock up my ebike I take the battery and seat off. Why? Because most people don’t. My bike looks like a pita. ( pun intended).

I agree... if something looks like a pain then it prob. won't walk off.

Reactions: NLB

JiffyPopJunkie

Jun 5, 2014
LG Region NY
Like Steve said earlier, dont give em the opportunity. Lock up what you need to and stash the rest. The only incident I had was a raccoon climbed up on the table next to me while making smores, look me straight in the eye from about 2' away and took my chocolate bar! And also the mosquitoes constantly stealing my blood!

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
We have a travel trailer so more secure than a Pup, but as others have said the only thieves we've encountered were raccoons.

I'm a little uneasy though about our Power Watchdog EMS. The box has a pretty bright light that sticks out like a sore thumb at night so I usually put a trash bag over the power pedestal to make it a little less obvious.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
@kcsa75 Our Progressive EMS has a plate on the cord, meant to use a lock or cable in to secure it. We use a MasterLock Python cable with most power columns, so it can't be easily taken. I have had one weird power column that the cable helped suspend the EMS, otherwise, I was afraid gravity would pull it out of the outlet.

Nbjoe57

Jun 30, 2022
Long Island , NY.
I'm always nervous that something will walk away. I lived in the city (Baltimore) for a bit and if you didn't chain it down it was gone, so maybe it's leftover from that. So far nothing has "walked" away, but I'm always a little nervous. Having a PUP doesn't make it any easier either as it's just velcro to undue and you're in.

How often is theft a thing? Have you experienced it? I tell the kids not to leave wallets or anything of value just laying out inside the camper, but I haven't locked the door yet. On our trip last weekend I did turn the music on inside down low just to make someone think someone might be in there while we were out.

Maybe I'm being paranoid. For the record, I've never met campers that are a--holes, so my feelings are not at all based on experiences I've had. I was just curious to see what others have gone through. I mean, a stolen hitch or part from a WDH or whatever could make for a very unpleasant dilemma.
I have been camping for 32 years in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and mostly upstate NY, and the only thing someone ever tried to walk away with is a plastic table cloth. I never lost ant equipment even though I leave my campsite often to visit other areas.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
@kcsa75 Our Progressive EMS has a plate on the cord, meant to use a lock or cable in to secure it. We use a MasterLock Python cable with most power columns, so it can't be easily taken. I have had one weird power column that the cable helped suspend the EMS, otherwise, I was afraid gravity would pull it out of the outlet.
The Watchdog has a metal loop as well. I probably need to look into a cable lock.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
We have a travel trailer so more secure than a Pup, but as others have said the only thieves we've encountered were raccoons.

I'm a little uneasy though about our Power Watchdog EMS. The box has a pretty bright light that sticks out like a sore thumb at night so I usually put a trash bag over the power pedestal to make it a little less obvious.
The company makes a decal sticker that can go over the face to help with the light...

I have been camping for 32 years in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and mostly upstate NY, and the only thing someone ever tried to walk away with is a plastic table cloth. I never lost ant equipment even though I leave my campsite often to visit other areas.

As it should be and as we would all want it to be.

I think it helps a good bit that A.) we don't leave stuff out to give anyone an opportunity (at least I don't... the kids do sometimes) and B.) I'm in a popup. No matter how much I like it we're really a dying breed and there are many nicer TT's and campers and 5th wheels and hotels on wheels that look like they have much nicer things then I'll ever even want to take camping with me.

I see people's who's outside amenities and appliances cost more than my whole camper.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I have only heard about Yetis getting pinched, and the odd remote campsite where someone came back and found some of their gear missing. You don’t see or hear about ti much at most state parks and such. I have never experienced it, although I do lock the door and the travel door if I am going to be gone for a bit. Leaving a radio on low is also a good idea.

djmello99

Feb 19, 2013
Anthem, AZ
I was tent camping once with my girlfriend at the time and another couple. In the middle of the night, my girlfriend woke me up cause she heard noises outside the tent. It ended up being 4 guys looking through our coolers trying to find which one had alcohol. As I woke up, they found which one they wanted and took off running with it. I ended up chasing them down and cutting them off at the road. When I lit them up with my flashlight, they ditched the cooler and ran. I ended up getting the cooler back to camp but heard them driving up and down the road all night looking for where they ditched it. Funny part of the story is, the cooler belonged to the other couple we were with and the guy it belonged to never got out of his tent to help even though he was wide awake from the commotion. That was the last time I camped with them…

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008

I use a gun cable lock through the handle of my Camco Power Defender. I usually secure it around the conduit running the up pedestal. If I can't do that, I run the cable through the handle and then wrap it around the TT power cord a time or three. The plug is too large to come through the wrapped cable.

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
Never had anything stolen. Honestly, I don't have many things of high value lying around when I'm camping. I would guess a criminal would be looking at the big rigs for more valuable items.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
One of my 1st camp out ever, in a tent not Pup at a federal campground, crooks broke into multiple cars like a dozen & stole all kinds of goodies including Travelers checks (supposedly secure back in the olden days). This was before the car alarms era—- dating myself. seemed like semi-pros as so many lost goods, all between 2 AM & 5 AM According to sleeping & waking times folks reported.
Moral of the story— don’t leave any valuables in your car. Sleep with your wallet/purse, whatever you camp in. Majority of crooks are looking for easily carried items or high value-quick cash trend stuff, thus the Yetis I guess.
Main idea is to make your site less appealing than the neighbors. Keep a clean site. That cool Weber Q broiler thing you love— yeah others might too, so put away at night into vehicle or Pup. As for the casual crooks, they seek cash, drugs, jewelry. Fast high or fast cash. A Pup itself is a big monster to unload & more easily traced, doesnt drive itself.

The cooler -surfer dudes look for alcohol or drugs it seems. Though with the price of meat these days who knows…
& if a Russian spy is after you then no kind of lock is good enough— just sayin.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Travelers checks
Dang, had forgotten about them, been at least 30 years since we used those lol...good synopsis of grab & go thieves; coolers/fishing gear were/are major targets around the OBX, especially Hatteras, mainly younger folk. Not uncommon to hear of people fishing the point at night, falling asleep, cooler/gear missing the next morning, taken right off the rod racks or sand spikes...

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
The company makes a decal sticker that can go over the face to help with the light...

I have the decal. It helps but doesn't cure the problem.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
I have the decal. It helps but doesn't cure the problem.

I wanted to avoid all that so I hard wired mine under the bench in the camper. I allowed enough slack that if I ever have to replace it the wires would allow it to come out and lay on the floor. It's secured upside down under the bunk.

The plug in model is much easier, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of theft, damage, light, etc.. plus it stays dry 100% of the time and out of the sun.

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
I do not leave things laying out when we are not there or over night except some chairs. I put the Blackstone in the bed of the truck the yeti in the TT when we leave or go to bed. As for my surge protector I have never locked it. I figure no punk knows what it is and most people with a pup or TT or HTT or camper of any type already have one.