Campgrounds in SE near good cycling & kayaking areas plus short hikes

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
Am looking campground recommendations in SE USA, preferably less than 300 mile drive of Atlanta area. We'd like nice camping near areas that offer cycling, kayaking and leisurely hikes. We are no longer the sort of folks who do intense exercise but we do love to go bike riding and kayaking plus a little hiking. When camping, we often do all of those on the same day.

Our bike rides are usually short, about 5-10 miles at a time. We might ride 2-3 times in a day, so a daily total of 10-30 miles. We like to explore so would love to do somewhat different rides each time. We are recreational cyclers, not mountain bikers. We do happily incorporate parts of easy MTB trails if those are nearby. Bike trails, greenways, and campground roads are preferred but we also do road rides in low traffic, lower MPH areas.

Our kayaking is basically just paddling leisurely around for a couple hours on flat water. We don't mind driving to a put in spot. Being able to put in from our campsite is always a huge bonus.

We still do short hikes but these days I'd describe those more like leisurely walks in nature. We're not backpackers and no longer do anything long. Usually only go a few miles at a time, say 3-5.

Anyone have suggestions?

GaWalker

Nov 30, 2017
The Great State of Georgia
Huntington Island SC - Walks by lakes (lots of birds) and ocean. Kayaking in creek side of park. Bike park roads and bike path along highway. More than 300 miles away and pricey.

Stone Mountain would seem to check your boxes but too many people for me.

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
Hunting Island is a place I'd love to try. Have heard of it, though had not realized it offered a kayaking area. Hopefully we will make it there. Thanks for mentioning it. The distance thing does make choosing places harder. My parents need a good deal of care and I'd had to cut a couple of trips short when there was a problem. So I'm trying to stay closer to home.

We camped 4 weekdays at Stone Mountain late this Summer. It seemed really odd to go camping practically in Atlanta. lol It was my partners' suggestion and an experiment. I'd been determined to camp somewhere every month until Winter. Camping effectively in the middle of suburbs, I was expecting, well not anything particularly good. Yet, we had a really nice time. That actually surprised me some. We got cooler weather, no crowds or anyone bothering us, easy kayaking put in and biking plus some nice hikes. As you say, it ticked the boxes. I think one key was doing it mid-week, after school season started.