Camping Kitchens! Let’s see ‘em!

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
That's a Galley, not an lil camp kitchen - which is AWESOME~!
Thank you.

I'm still working on it because it isn't quite right yet, but cooking is my hobby and I like the idea of having everything in its place

I think the next thing to take up will be the big Weber 26 inch kettle with the Arteflame griddle insert. Thats a beast. With a Slow N Sear and a temp controller, its practically a smoking machine too

IMG_6621.jpeg IMG_6628.jpeg

Sherronlee

Apr 10, 2020
Northern BC
Nice setup but you need a couple of these instead of that silly propane lamp. [CK]

View attachment 70075
After seeing a drunk American at the campsite next to me set himself on fire while trying to refill one of those, I will absolutely never consider that type! He was lucky because a nearby site was full of paramedics who tended to him after we tackled him and smother the flames with a blanket. Then he refused to go to the hospital because he didn't have medical coverage in BC. Eventually they forced him to go because they decided he was too drunk to make proper decisions. But I do have a few LED battery operated light :)

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
After seeing a drunk American at the campsite next to me set himself on fire while trying to refill one of those, I will absolutely never consider that type! He was lucky because a nearby site was full of paramedics who tended to him after we tackled him and smother the flames with a blanket. Then he refused to go to the hospital because he didn't have medical coverage in BC. Eventually they forced him to go because they decided he was too drunk to make proper decisions. But I do have a few LED battery operated light :)
Not the fault of the lantern if someone tried to top it off hot

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Hmmm! What's "silly" about his propane setup -- everything is connected to ONE tank which, to me, seems very smart/logical!
Propane lanterns have no character.

I like old things that still do the job they were designed to do. Coleman began making gas pressure lamps and lanterns some 100 years ago. The newest lantern in this photo is almost 42 years old. The two little ones date back to the mid-50s.

These and a few others give me a great deal of pleasure, and they're are good conversation starters. If that's not logical, so be it.
20210227_180249 - Copy.jpg

bronsta

Jul 22, 2019

I like old things that still do the job they were designed to do. Coleman began making gas pressure lamps and lanterns some 100 years ago. The newest lantern in this photo is almost 42 years old. The two little ones date back to the mid-50s.

These and a few others give me a great deal of pleasure, and they're are good conversation starters. If that's not logical, so be it.
View attachment 85844
Umm, I didn't say gas "wasn't logical". I said the propane setup pictured "was logical"! Everything was connected to one tank and, unlike gas, there probably wouldn't be a need to refill the tank on a typical camping trip.
It's all good, bro.

Sherronlee

Apr 10, 2020
Northern BC

View attachment 85844
To each their own ~ if it makes you feel any better, our lantern is about 25 years old ;-)

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon

View attachment 85844
The current discussion not withstanding, that is a nice collection. I assume you fettled them into their current condition.

Highjack over.

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
That is a fabulous setup ~ but looks like a lot of work. Ops, didn't see you are seasonal. Makes sense now.
For sure! If I'm doing a weekend, or even a couple of week trip, there is no way that 90% of that stuff comes along. Likely just the camp stove and maybe one grill. Plus a folding table

The "camp kitchen" weighs entirely too much and is just a hassle for a short stay - but its a game changer for a long stay

merrykeys

Oct 10, 2021
Thank you for sharing all your kitchens! Now I have much more ideas to realize mine. I haven’t got one yet, but I really want to build something like this for my family.
My kids and I go camping often, but the routes are short because the kids are small. Our camping kitchen consists mostly of a pie maker we use every time to make sandwiches and a hobo pie. I think it’s a nice experience for the kids because it’s important for them to be in nature and learn to use basic appliances like matches, firewood, water, knives, etc. I want them to grow up sooner so we can have longer trips together.