Canadian national park reservations?

bluespruce

Jul 6, 2011
I’m trying to plan a trip this summer from Michigan to the Canadian Rockies. Banff, Jasper, Yoho

trying to figure out the reservation system. From what I’ve found there is no “rolling” reservation window. It just mentions that reservation window will open and then the reservations can be made for the whole season. I get that but when does the window actually open? 3 months before the campground opens? All on a specified day regardless of when the campground opens?

im ready with dates and flexoble on locations. But I don’t want to check the website every day for the next 5 months at 8 am local park time.

maybe I’m just not looking on the right place on the website? I thought I saw somewhere 90 days before the campground season opens. But now I can’t find it anywhere.

thanks

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
Get an account, I think it is either six months or sometime in the spring. I can highly recommend kicking horse in yoho, you can see all of Banff from there too and it is away from crowds. Several good ones to choose from in Jasper. If you like hiking, look into the lake O'Hare drawing.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
The last time I visited a national park was 10 yrs ago on our trip out west and friends booked it for me. There are only 37 national parks in Canada, and six total in my province. There are 340 provincial parks in my province alone, and I have a handful of favourites. I really enjoy fishing and the national parks are considered federal and therefore my $20 a year provincial fishing license is not valid and it costs $25 to get a temp license for fishing in a national park for the week. That being said, I'm not trying to discourage you from national parks, as they are some of the most beautiful areas you will ever experience. To make a long story longer, these are just the reasons why I'm not aware of their booking process.

I did, however, take a look on the national parks website to see what I could find for you. They make mention that they are revamping their reservation process. There is a phone number on the site:
1-877-RESERVE
Their hours are listed as 8AM to 6PM local time to the park you select.
I would start with that and hopefully someone can get you setup.
I hope you enjoy your trip while you are up here and feel welcomed.
Cheers

bluespruce

Jul 6, 2011
Get an account, I think it is either six months or sometime in the spring. I can highly recommend kicking horse in yoho, you can see all of Banff from there too and it is away from crowds. Several good ones to choose from in Jasper. If you like hiking, look into the lake O'Hare drawing.
Thanks for the tip on kicking horse. I’ll check that one out.

Zirakzigil

Jul 16, 2020
They just announced that Banff National Park reservations will open March 3rd. After that its a rolling 90 day window to book. Best to book ASAP because they fill up almost instantly. Book on your 1st night at the 90 day mark. You can then book past the 90 days and get all the nights you want if they are consecutive and at the same site.

p

Super Active Member
Jun 9, 2014
Alberta
I have tried (successfully and unsuccessfully) to book Pacific Rim (Tofino) on the second the bookings have opened for a spot anytime in July and Aug. In approx 8 seconds, the entire summer (92 ish camping spots) were booked.

Just saying.