Cant close PUP with 2" topper...

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
I bought a 2" mattress topper thinking I wouldn't have any issue closing my SomerSet E3 PUP. Well, it wont close. I mean I can probably force it, but i don't want to as the door handle will rip the topper for sure. So I can roll it up and put in door way, but that leaves me with only 1 comfortable bed... Anyone have any suggesttions for an Air Mattress? I cant seem to find any that fit a RV King size bed?!?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Can you use a smaller topper? Or replace the mattress entirely? Do the tissue box test to see how much room you have. Sometimes the foam puzzle matts are all thats needed under the mattress.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Can you use a smaller topper? Or replace the mattress entirely? Do the tissue box test to see how much room you have. Sometimes the foam puzzle matts are all thats needed under the mattress

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Can you use a smaller topper? Or replace the mattress entirely? Do the tissue box test to see how much room you have. Sometimes the foam puzzle matts are all thats needed under the mattress
We already have the foam puzzle matts under, however, they dont do enough. I'm gonna do the tissue box test, but I dont think i can fit anymore without it getting damaged.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I had a 2" topper on my Viking. But I had the same issue as you do with it not closing all the way. For a while I was just forceing it closed by pulling the top down with the latch. A few months ago I just got rid of the topper. I really didn't need it anyway. I gave it to my Son who has a hard side camper. He loves it. My other Son has an air bed that he uses in his collapsible slide in pick-up camper. He just deflates it when we get ready to closeup and go home.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
If you do go the air mattress route, get the battery inflater if case you ever dont have power to blow it up. I have a battery one and plug in one for my kyacks and tubes.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
My old Jayco had zero room between the roof and beds. We couldn’t keep anything on the beds other than a sheet. Royal pain, but we just stored our toppers along with the other bed stuff in the dinnette bench. Every camper is different though as my current popup I find I have way more space in the center than at the edges of my bed where the bar is. Have you tried to perhaps cut the edges down of your topper particularly where the back bar needs to folds down? I personally never had luck with air mattresses as I always had to reinflate them in the middle of the night. So no suggestions there.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
My old Jayco had zero room between the roof and beds. We couldn’t keep anything on the beds other than a sheet. Royal pain, but we just stored our toppers along with the other bed stuff in the dinnette bench. Every camper is different though as my current popup I find I have way more space in the center than at the edges of my bed where the bar is. Have you tried to perhaps cut the edges down of your topper particularly where the back bar needs to folds down? I personally never had luck with air mattresses as I always had to reinflate them in the middle of the night. So no suggestions there.
So my PUP has 2 RV King size beds, so storing 2 topers in the dinette bench won't work unfortunately. The poles are also not the big issue, it's the door handle smashes into the topper and is already starting to tear it just from the first attempt. I think Im just gonna have to store outside camper which is a big bummer for me.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Try putting the toppers under the mattress, that may squish it enough to get it closed? Other idea is to shave it for the door handle?

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I have a Jayco with dual king bunks and a slide out. I think my topper is 1.75” and I have the foam pads as well. I am just able to get the roof latched, but I cannot have anything else on the bunks which means all the bedding has to come off and get packed away. I do drop the roof and let it rest on the bunks - it tends to slowly compress everything while I finish packing the front storage trunk. I also have to make sure the canvas is spread out and not bunched up anywhere, and also my latches are on the longest setting. I do have some wire shelf bunk racks I installed, and I have to lay a towel over them to help prevent any rubbing on the canvas during transport. Might try that with your door handle?

I do find that after latched I can usually retighten the latches some as well.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
so it looks like the door handle ripped the topper just from my first attempt at closing it. I think my best option is to get some "cheaper" 3" toppers from amazon, cut them to fit, then cut them in half long ways. I can then use a vacuum bag to pack them down enough to fit between the slide out and bench seat. Its not ideal, but works and only add an extra min or 2 to pack up/down.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
As a few others on here have suggested, try waiting before latching.

Once the air is out of the foam it will not take up much space.

Make sure the roof is lowered and the cable has some slack so it can continue to drop.

Go work on something else for 10 mins or so and when you come back it will latch no prob from the weight of the roof compressing out the air

We practice this on our trailer and it works well

BriNat

Apr 11, 2022
I have a 05 fleetwood niagara, and 1 4inch jel pad and 1 3inch jelly pad on the end beds. I do not leave them there when closing. It would never work.
I roll them up and put them in vacuume bags. They get very small and are easy to store.
Another idea is getting 2 large plastic sheets and sealing the edges (i used my hot iron) keep a corner open to put the vacuume hose and flattening them right on the bed, you will have to seal where the vacuume house comes out but I have just used a plastic food saver clip. It means you might have a crinkly bed because the plastic is always on but I just put the original mattress on top.
I use the first idea as it's easier for me to pack around and the plastic was really slippery. But both worked.
Good luck
Cheers!

NLawson

Apr 13, 2021
I've found that the topper will crush down if I lower the top and do other work. Securing the roof latches is easier after about 5-10 minutes--warmer weather makes it go down faster.
We have a 3 inch topper and use this method too. The weight of the top down seems to flatten the foam enough to latch.

I bought a 2" mattress topper thinking I wouldn't have any issue closing my SomerSet E3 PUP. Well, it wont close. I mean I can probably force it, but i don't want to as the door handle will rip the topper for sure. So I can roll it up and put in door way, but that leaves me with only 1 comfortable bed... Anyone have any suggesttions for an Air Mattress? I cant seem to find any that fit a RV King size bed?!?
we also did this... 2 inch... on our coleman... had to adjust the top latches a bit and it still compresses toppers firmly but when we get home we just crank it up a little to relieve the pressure and all fine... doesnt your pop up have adjustable clasps for roof closing ?