Carrying a kayak

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I'm thinking of mounting my canoe on my popup but I can't decide if I want it hanging off the front or back...I do have roof rails but I don't know how well they're attached.

heathdavis

May 15, 2011
I put crossbars on top of my camper 11 years ago. These were the ones: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/SportRack/SR1020.html
Yeah you have to drill into the top of the camper to affix them and that's kind of traumatic but I've had no problems.
Once you have the crossbars installed you can attach bike racks, kayak racks, anything you like. We haul 3 bikes on top of a tiny camper and it's fine. Of course if you have an AC or something sticking out of the roof you won't be able to do this.

Edit-- apparently they have now modified that particular model of roof rack so you *don't* have to drill into the roof!

Last edited:

TheBlurb

Mar 28, 2019
I put crossbars on top of my camper 11 years ago. These were the ones: https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/SportRack/SR1020.html
Yeah you have to drill into the top of the camper to affix them and that's kind of traumatic but I've had no problems.
Once you have the crossbars installed you can attach bike racks, kayak racks, anything you like. We haul 3 bikes on top of a tiny camper and it's fine. Of course if you have an AC or something sticking out of the roof you won't be able to do this.

Edit-- apparently they have now modified that particular model of roof rack so you *don't* have to drill into the roof!
That’s cool. Is your pup among those listed by etrailer as compatible? It’s a pretty short list.

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
I carry it either on the tow vehicle, facing down, strapped securely to the roof rack, or on the popup camper, facing down, strapped securely to the trailer's roof rack.

BEWARE: I've had several J-hook racks, and they are NOT strong enough to keep my Malibu Two kayak from shifting on the roof. It literally causes the J-hooks to slide on the rack. I've tried cheap Amazon ones, and expensive name brand ones. That kayak has too much windage for J-hooks. You're probably fine with a small kayak, but not a big two/three seater.

Here are the options that do work for me:

1: Face down on the tow vehicle roof rack. I prefer this because the kayak is not in the way if I need to put up the roof on the popup.
2: Face down on the popup's roof rack. It fits there fine, and this is how I transported the kayak on my most recent trip.

If you don't have a roof rack on your popup, consider getting one. They're very useful.

Last edited:

TetonPug

Jul 21, 2020
We have two 16' sea kayaks. TV for sure. Say you get to a camp spot and set up and want to drive to different lakes for the day and paddle. Well, if your rack system is on the camper you're hosed. We opted for the saddle mount system. We couldn't quite afford the Hullavator system and there are two of us to lift the kayaks up. J-bar system is quite wind restraint. IMG_1641.jpeg

TheBlurb

Mar 28, 2019
We have two 16' sea kayaks. TV for sure. Say you get to a camp spot and set up and want to drive to different lakes for the day and paddle. Well, if your rack system is on the camper you're hosed. We opted for the saddle mount system. We couldn't quite afford the Hullavator system and there are two of us to lift the kayaks up. J-bar system is quite wind restraint. View attachment 81245
Cool pic - nice looking setup!

Cape Cod Mountain Man

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams
Apr 23, 2010
If you’ve carried a kayak, how have you done it? I have 2 options: strapped to middle of pup roof along the metal support; or strapped to roof of TV with j-hooks. Kayak is new, just 40lbs. I want the quickest setup. I’d be easy on the pup—no ratchet straps. I’ll be on the road a lot this summer, using the kayak often too.
On the roof you can keep an eye on it and good tie-downs can be attached all around. On the TV, it will be out of the way when time to set up camp and ready for transport to the water. I have done both ways but usually put it on the camper roof. Roof racks can be really expensive. Never had damage and it was easier to man-handle. That said, my kayak was 90 lbs. A 40 lb. kayak could go in your back seat. : )

JLE

May 10, 2019
Calgary AB
Say what? A $1000 for a rack?

What an incredible vista in your first image. Where is that?
Yes, they are pricy racks but again, it's added a decade to our ability to carry boats and kayak. This camp spot is one of our favourite sites just 10 mins north of St. George Utah - Red Cliffs Recreation Area. The campground has gone on a reservation system last year so it's pretty hard to get a spot now, sadly. We love Utah!

CoolCanuck

Oct 30, 2016
Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada
This is how we carry our 20ft Pygmy triple...
Will be putting a piggy-back bike rack on the back truck hitch for a e-bike rack. Not comfy with putting up all that weight on the infamous Coleman ABS roof, never mind what their sales brochure showed.

Two sets of Yakima Hand rollers - ex Hully Rollers - in the back so that it's easy to get on the roof, then a pair of Deck Hands up front. Just using the cross straps as seen, no front/rear lines required, due to the length between the bars. The rear rollers are just for mounting / taking the kayak off, so that we don't bugger up the finish.

Attachments

• P1200572 nologo.jpg
    P1200572 nologo.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

TheBlurb

Mar 28, 2019
Following up as the OP...

I opted for a hybrid solution that worked well on a 3.5 week trip of at least 2,500 km. I strapped the kayak to the pup roof on the road, while J-hooks on the TV carried the boat to the beach for sites that weren’t close to the water.

TheBlurb

Mar 28, 2019
Looks like this.

Attachments

• E7A31FD6-D5F7-476B-9F44-A80E3078D1BD.jpeg
    E7A31FD6-D5F7-476B-9F44-A80E3078D1BD.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 14

Cindy Lou

Jul 1, 2021
If you’ve carried a kayak, how have you done it? I have 2 options: strapped to middle of pup roof along the metal support; or strapped to roof of TV with j-hooks. Kayak is new, just 40lbs. I want the quickest setup. I’d be easy on the pup—no ratchet straps. I’ll be on the road a lot this summer, using the kayak often too.
We carry our tandem kayak on the TV roof rack. Don't want to put anything on our camper.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yea , every bounce is that kyack weight coming stright down on the middle of the camper. Or just a dead load constantly on the middle if the straps are tight. Maybe put a peice of wood under it to distribute the weight?

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Before I got a rack for the truck, I used these inflatable racks (called HandiRack) for putting the kayak on the camper.

Haven't used them since 2016, so if anyone is interested, $30

thumbnail_image.jpg

bjrichus

May 7, 2022
Fort Worth, Texas.
We use the $56 thing from Amazon on the roof of the PUP:

"Alfa Gear Universal 34" Long Folding Lightweight Anti-Vibration Kayak Soft Roof Rack pad for Kayak/Canoe/Surfboard/Paddle Board/SUP/and Water Sports with Hood Loop and Trunk Straps"​

alfa.jpg

The large foam filled blocks go on top of the PUP and the straps go round and under the body of the PUP - as others have shown. You can secure this several ways to the PUP and they include the straps and clips for the rain gutter (or roof lip) as shown in the photo, and we also use ropes and bungee cords through the Kayak handles to the frame of the PUP to make everything ultra secure.

Several trips and nothing lost yet!

For sure its not a $1000 roof rack for your SUV, where the kayak gets lifted up and down for you but we have a truck and the bed is already full by the time its ready to go. Plenty less cash too.

Hope this helps.

Pedro Galvan

Jul 27, 2021
Rock Hill, SC
Kayak_Camping.jpg

I prefer to carry the kayak on the T.V. I have Malone center posts and wide foam blocks on the crossbars, plus bow and stern lines. Alas, the crossbars do not extend outside the roof, so a Hullavator is not an option. You can see Houndini is supervising our camp setup.

Sloas

Sep 30, 2020
We have four kayaks and this is what we did. We could fit all four on the popup, but decided to split them up.

Attachments

• 18035D4A-D1B4-402C-BDD1-8339F9836375.jpeg
    18035D4A-D1B4-402C-BDD1-8339F9836375.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 3D230366-D5DF-410A-AE23-7387769B32E2.jpeg
    3D230366-D5DF-410A-AE23-7387769B32E2.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 95D0A53C-7F9E-4F13-92A2-FFEA43F59519.jpeg
    95D0A53C-7F9E-4F13-92A2-FFEA43F59519.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 5