Check Out My New Bumper!

joet

Super Active Member
Mar 16, 2011
Elkins WV area
Looks good. I hope that you reinforced/ replaced everything from the frame back, as popup bumpers aren't strong enough to hold much weight, and from what I can see he did.

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Super job, I'm sure it will work well. Just keep in mind that you will be reducing your tongue weight with the increase in weight ( x distance from axle). But, if you keep it all within reason, you should be able to enjoy those bikes easily. Nice work!

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
Looks really sturdy and looks great. Hopefully everything will work as you hope.
Good Luck and Happy Camping

PaulaBrensinger

Jul 29, 2021
New Hampshire
My Coleman Westlake came like this and I removed it. The trailer swayed real bad with that hitch receiver on there and I'd never added a bikerack and bikes.I have a hitch receiver for the car that has a receiver for the bike rack above the one for the ball. That way the car is carrying that weight. Not the "baby's got back" Sashaying down the road end of the trailer. I couldn't go over 49mph with the hitch receiver back there.

Last edited:

a_d_a_m

Sep 15, 2022
My Coleman Westlake came like this and I removed it. The trailer swayed real bad with that hitch receiver on there and I'd never added a bikerack and bikes.I have a hitch receiver for the car that has a receiver for the bike rack above the one for the ball. That way the car is carrying that weight. Not the "baby's got back" Sashaying down the road end of the trailer. I couldn't go over 49mph with the hitch receiver back there.
I know the O/P hasn't been online in awhile but I thank you for sharing this. I just removed a rear shelf from the bumper of my Rockwood (it was installed by the previous owner) and was considering re-doing the bumper to something that would allow my bike rack to be mounted. But I don't want to introduce any more sway into the towing experience.
Maybe I'll go with that dual hitch riser setup and run my bikes up by the TV/tongue.

Reactions: NLB

Wybb3

May 18, 2021
The bad thing about using the hitch receiver that you're using is, according to etrailer.com, you lose 50% of your hitch capacity. Some tow vehicles this may not make much difference, but on others it could be critical.

PaulaBrensinger

Jul 29, 2021
New Hampshire