Cheers from SoCal

darthRudolph

Aug 8, 2022
IE, CA, US, Earth
Greetings all

Missus and I always enjoyed camping. When we met it was throwing a sleeping bag on the ground somewhere in our mountains (San Bernardino National Forest). Then a tent, then a tent with a kiddo (who, incidentally, came to be on one particular camping trip), then work, etc... and camping time faded...

Now kiddo is 20+ and we remembered that we used to love camping, why do we not do that more often? So in the past couple months we learned that blowed-up joints and bolted-together spines don't much care for sleeping on the ground anymore, even with an air mattress. As such, yesterday we purchased a 1981 Starflyer 1706 XL. Probably overpaid a bit, but it came with one side already rebuilt due to water damage (he showed me the photos of pre-repair even), roof already repaired, and one-season-old Bear Creek canvas already installed. Seller said he'd give us some time to talk it over, my wife said "we'll take it" and handed him the envelope of asking-price cash before I could really start to nitpick the oddities. LOL

I still have to buy and install the tow hitch for the TV ('05 Kia Sportage, V6, 4WD) so we towed it home with the old F150 4x4 (that has a bumper hitch 24" off the ground, so the trailer was at an ungodly angle...) Next trip isn't for a few weeks so I've got some time. I need to get into the brakes, the trailer has the surge brakes option but seller says the master cylinder is bad. I also have to sort out the ratcheting pall on the lift mechanism (bent and flaky) and figure out the safety lock rod thing* that appears to be missing entirely. I'll end up posting more as those items come up in the to-do queue.

* Re: safety lock rod thing. If anyone has a photo of a good one I'd love to see it. So far I've found a couple photos of mangled ones, and the crappy drawing of the front part of one in the manual. I can make an educated guess as to what things might be, but to see what they actually are would be swell.

I'll leave with a photo from the seller's listing, I haven't taken any of my own yet

B358DAE1-D9E4-42E6-B889-EE69B9D76307_1_201_a.jpeg

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
Welcome- also here in So Cal- similar story on the camping- my license plate frame says “no more tents”
You will find a ton of great advice on here- throw some pics of what you are looking at so we can see what you are asking.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Greetings! Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

Looks like you found a good one. Enjoy!