Clearing water lines when taking down

JandKfromVA

Jun 3, 2022
Virginia USA
After disconnecting from city water I flush the toilet and leave faucets open until dry. Or I thought I did. We always end up with water pooling near the sink - mainly because water still comes out when we removed the goose faucet to close the roof. We sometimes get a light trickle from the shower head.

How do we flush out the lines so that we don’t have standing water after we’ve closed up the pup? I want to get to the point where we pick it up and don’t have to open it again until our next trip (generally 2-4 weeks later) but I don’t want to chance water damage or mold.

We don’t have any leaking while water is running so I think it’s just left over water in the lines.

Thanks!

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
you are not draining the water lines, so open the low point drains once you have the faucets turned on. you may also consider turning on the water pump briefly to blow water out of the lines.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
My camper is pretty much the same as a 2006 Niagara except for a minor irrelevant detail. Are you sure you need to remove your faucet? (not that leaving it in place would eliminate your problem...)

JandKfromVA

Jun 3, 2022
Virginia USA
you are not draining the water lines, so open the low point drains once you have the faucets turned on. you may also consider turning on the water pump briefly to blow water out of the lines.
This, open the low point drains while the flaucets are open.

Huh, low point drains. Gonna look that up because I haven’t heard of it and don’t know what that is. Thank you!!

JandKfromVA

Jun 3, 2022
Virginia USA
My camper is pretty much the same as a 2006 Niagara except for a minor irrelevant detail. Are you sure you need to remove your faucet? (not that leaving it in place would eliminate your problem...)
We do. We replaced it with a goose neck faucet that is taller than the bunk track.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
Huh, low point drains. Gonna look that up because I haven’t heard of it and don’t know what that is. Thank you

I forgot to mention, you should set the water heater to bypass mode when you do this. if you do not, then the water heater will drain when you open the low point valves and any bits of crude (like anode rod bits) - will travel into the lines and possibly clog the faucets.