Clueless, weird tent neighbors and their thieving toddler

skysummit

Jul 24, 2012
We've experienced something similar, but yours seems worse. Ours was one of the neighboring sites had a child, about 5 years old or so that would spend pretty much all his time at our camper to play with our 2 children. I'm all for making friends and such, but to me, camping is family time at the campsite, and I just had the feeling the kid's parents looked at it as a time to be "child free"....almost like a free baby sitter.

After a little while of him being there, we'd politely tell the child "ok, it's time to go back with your parents". He'd go, but not an hour or so later, we'd hear his mother tell him "go play with your friend over there". I was getting tired of it. Thankfully they did leave the next day so no confrontation had to be made.

maromeo

Jan 6, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
NW_Dale said:
Loved the story, but am I the only one hearing banjo music? :)
I was thinking more of a circus or carnival.
Some people just don't have a clue. They just have no boundaries. Hopefully your next one will go smoother.

BarbaraFaith

Super Active Member
Oct 15, 2011
5 or more years ago, DH & I spent the 2 weeks of Christmas/New Years on Anna Maria Island, FL. We stayed in a mom & pop motel with a pool. We had a one bedroom apartment unit, and the in-laws drove down from Palm Harbor, Fl to spend Christmas with us. It was the first time in 25 years that DH & his mom had spent Christmas together, since he's been in MN all that time.

I'll have to say it's one of the best Christmas Days I've had. While the turkey was roasting in the oven, I was floating in the pool, working on my tan, soaking in vitamin D

Was a charming resort, and beside us was the managers parents who were staying from Colorado. Otherwise the rest of the units were empty and it was a tranquil vacation.

So we return from bumming around the island and there's this group of people in the pool who turned out to be the family of the owner, and they were staying at the owner's house a couple of blocks away, but utilizing the pool. It was a mom & dad and about 5 kids. One of the boys, maybe about 7 or 8 was totally naked, and swimming and running around the pool. I don't swim, but I enjoy floating in the pool, so I had an inflatable floater that I had left by the back door the our unit. So while we were gone, someone took my floater and they were using it in the pool, including back to nature boy.

I wouldn't have said anything but DH did. Now DH is 6"4' with a booming voice, and he suggested to the dad that it was inappropriate for his son to be naked, unless this resort was a nudist colony. The dad replied, "Oh, well he forgot his suit at home, I guess that I will have to get it" and he got on a bike and returned with the swimming suit. When DH speaks, people listen.

My floater - I cleaned it with antibacterial spray, and kept in it the unit in our absence.

owen

Apr 22, 2014
Private campgrounds or remote forest campgrounds can be hit or miss. Throw some gypsy tweakers in the mix and it's on!

BarbaraFaith

Super Active Member
Oct 15, 2011
A certain co-worker of mine has a very dysfunctional family, and regularly openly shares the latest drama of her family life. She has a son, who is on his 2nd marriage and has a total of 6 children, yours, mine and ours. They had been living with the mil until this summer when a neighbor reported them to the city for having people living in the basement without egress windows. So the mil kicked them out. My co-worker wouldn't let them live with her because she's been there, done that. So for a month, this family of eight lived in a tent in a regional campground in the suburbs, The father does work, and went to work every day. Supposedly the mom spends her day imbibing in adult beverages, so I'm sure that those 6 children were not properly supervised during the day. You never know who or what you are camping next to.

Darn

Pup to Hybrid
Apr 5, 2013
higginskatie said:
We will look for something else for next season. It really is the closest to where we were going to the wedding as well as to Lambeau Field. If I have to drive an hour back to camp after a Packer game I may as well drive the 2 hours home instead. This place is only about 20 minutes from the stadium. If it weren't for that factor I would never return there again, and I know there are several really nice campgrounds heading out of Green Bay towards Door County, as well as west toward Antioch, where there happens to be a rally the weekend after next when we will be up there for Packer's Family Night.

Brown County fair grounds is way closer to Lambeau, it's on Ashland. Not many people camp there but the sites are level and the bathrooms are clean. If your going to come up again next year for the fourth, get the site next to ours?

Darn

Pup to Hybrid
Apr 5, 2013
Oops, T-Bird just reminded me that WE have a wedding to attend next year, my niece is getting married on the 4th [:O]

adirondackcamper

Jan 14, 2013
Last year we were camping at one of the last water sites available. It was between the canoe launch and the beach. I should have known but have camped for many years and never had any issues in state campgrounds before. The problem was people walking mostly the shoreline to go to the beach. It was a very small site and our camper was about 20 ft from shore with the space in between where our fireplace and picnic table was. Our kayaks were on shore as well as some beach chairs in the sand. People would just walk around them their kids yelling and splashing right in front us. I was livid, these people had no clue. Then one night I went for a walk with my dog and struck up a conversation with a very nice man with a strong Boston accent. He said, "I don't know how I'm gonna sleep without the sound of the traffic and car alarms." I got thinking later and was wondering if these people coming from big cities, in apartments perhaps, have no clue about outdoor boundries that most people understand. I don't know but I had a different outlook after speaking to that man.

higginskatie

Jul 13, 2013
Darn said:
Had to post just to change the number of posts I have (666) yikes [}:)]

Nice! DH reminded me that the kid also liked to sit in the driver's seat of the car and honk the car horn. And Darn, this is the trip where we met you!

higginskatie

Jul 13, 2013
Darn said:
Brown County fair grounds is way closer to Lambeau, it's on Ashland. Not many people camp there but the sites are level and the bathrooms are clean. If your going to come up again next year for the fourth, get the site next to ours?

We would love to camp next to you again, but not sure yet what we are doing for the 4th. We were thinking of checking out Bayfield/Madeline Island, but nothing set yet. I will definitely check out the Brown County Fair Grounds for Packer's Family Night weekend. I have heard from several people that Bayshore County Park is really nice but they don't take reservations. Anything has to be better than AppleCreek. We were back there again for the Packer game and while we had a much nicer, and larger site (everything is relative), we saw others get packed in where the awning of one camper was inches from the slide out of the next.

Are you thinking of attending the fall rally at Token Creek?

golfnate07

Love 2 Camp
Jul 22, 2011
I will confirm Bayshore is excellent. The past couple holiday weekends (Fourth of July, Labor Day, etc) we needed to bring the camper no later than Wed Night or Thurs at 6 am before heading to work, by the time we return after work every site has been booked...

Great time, great people, no problems after camping many many years there.

higginskatie

Jul 13, 2013
golfnate07 said:
I will confirm Bayshore is excellent. The past couple holiday weekends (Fourth of July, Labor Day, etc) we needed to bring the camper no later than Wed Night or Thurs at 6 am before heading to work, by the time we return after work every site has been booked...

Great time, great people, no problems after camping many many years there.

What about Packers Family Night? Do you think I would be able to get up there by Thursday evening and still find a spot? I also see the fairgrounds is also no reservations unless you book a group site.

golfnate07

Love 2 Camp
Jul 22, 2011
Non holiday weekends are all hit and miss. There are some groups that hold their rallies there and one person comes early and pays for all the sites they need. (Usually coming in Wed and staying the weekend or longer, there is no way to predict these weekends.) Also since there is a very nice boat launch at this location, lots of people come with boats for fishing or weekends on the water also, so those fill up on Thursday nights also.

I personally cannot say I have been there on a Packers family game night, but I can tell you that Green Bay people are pretty divided. We have the west side (with the stadium) and we have the east side that has 54/57 to door co (where bayshore is.) If the fans are out of town they either get hotels on the west side or travel home. (41 and 43 are a zoo when games let out. I have seen traffic till hours and hours after the game ends on both.) East side hotels and campgrounds usually stay pretty empty... (This is just my observation of course, and I have only lived here 8 years so I am no veteran by any means...)

I will say Bayshore is great, just make sure you get there early on holiday weekends or get there early on friday on the normal weekends. Its a great spot to camp! [:D]