Cold Weather PUP Camping

ThroughLiner

Aug 30, 2022
We've camped down to about 0F at night... and in addition to what others have said, just know that if you have any memory foam (e.g. mattress topper) it will be like concrete until the heater and/or your body warms it up!

Also: one hack we've used is to warm up some larger-ish rocks in the camp fire and then bring them inside your PUP to radiate heat throughout the night. You'll need to put them on something heat-proof so you don't burn your floor... Have fun!

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
If timing and everything out works out well, I'd probably bring the pop up, just because its more fun. Just seal off the bunk your not using and run a space heater. I've also found those moving blankets from harbor freight when hung over the windows not only insulates, but can hold a lot of the moisture from your breathing. You can always fold those up and toss in the dryer when you get home.

Well, things happened over the weekend.

I received a call from a fellow dog handler from North Dakota on Friday evening asking me if I wanted to go down to Arkansas to trial dogs and he was paying for fuel.

On top of it, the puppy I'm supposed to deliver to the border this coming weekend is actually going to be ended up in Kansas right along my route down south - the owner is offering me money to drop the puppy along my way down.

Basically, my trip / weekend / trial fees are paid for, so I couldn't say no.

As a result, I likely won't be heading to WI the weekend after and I can buy myself a bit more time to go down and pick the canvas up when it's a little nicer out.

Last edited:

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
we bought a set Popup gizmos bunk end covers what a different it made in keeping it warm. It use to be popup Gizmos had a sale every Thanksgiving check with them when they are having a sale.

ThroughLiner

Aug 30, 2022
Well, things happened over the weekend.

I received a call from a fellow dog handler from North Dakota on Friday evening asking me if I wanted to go down to Arkansas to trial dogs and he was paying for fuel.

On top of it, the pup I'm supposed to deliver to the border this coming weekend is actually going to be ended up in Kansas right along my route down south - the owner is offering me money to drop the pup along my way down.

Basically, my trip / weekend / trial fees are paid for, so I couldn't say no.

As a result, I likely won't be heading to WI the weekend after and I can buy myself a bit more time to go down and pick the canvas up when it's a little nicer out.
Makes sense to me... glad it worked out. Enjoy the trip south!