Coleman Body Panel Repair

tmancamper

Mar 9, 2015
Looking for assistance on 1997 Coleman Sea Pine front body panel replacement. My camper had an unfortunate run in with the snow plow this winter damaging the front body panel. Since Coleman popups are no longer being made, repair parts are difficult to find, especially plastic body panels. Some have suggested replacing with aluminum diamond plate but i like the the look of the plastic panel. More original I guess. Has any one had a similar situation?

RhinoDave

Super Active Member
Oct 29, 2008
Lake Orion, Mi.
Hopefully, you still have all the pieces. If so, you can solvent weld them back together using MEK or a MEK substitute. After piecing everything back together, coat the back side of the cracks with fiberglass matting and a thin solution of ABS material dissolved in MEK to get a thin enough paste.
Here's a couple of before and after pictures of my son's repaired back panel to show what can be done.

bconrey

Sep 5, 2010
Fortunately I never needed to repair my body panels but did repair my ABS roof a couple times. First time I used the MEK + ABS pellet solution, second time I used a product called Plastex. Plastex is marketed towards motorcycle plastics repair and specifically listed ABS so I gave it a try and was pleased with the results.

You'll still need to follow Dave's advice regarding laying up some fiberglass on the back as the Plastex isn't the right choice for that, but you may find it's easier to fill the cracks and weld them once all the pieces are in place.

Good luck!

Nbjoe57

Jun 30, 2022
Long Island , NY.
Hopefully, you still have all the pieces. If so, you can solvent weld them back together using MEK or a MEK substitute. After piecing everything back together, coat the back side of the cracks with fiberglass matting and a thin solution of ABS material dissolved in MEK to get a thin enough paste.
Here's a couple of before and after pictures of my son's repaired back panel to show what can be done.

Hi Rinodave,
I have a problem with my Coleman Fleetwood Utah 's Rear panel comming lose on 1 side. and was wondering if anyone knew how it is attaches to the frame.

NLB

Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Hi Rinodave,
I have a problem with my Coleman Fleetwood Utah 's Rear panel comming lose on 1 side. and was wondering if anyone knew how it is attaches to the frame.
Welcome to the portal!
Pay attention to the dates of previous threads, and member status of posters. Rinodave hasn’t been seen on this site since 2019.
Re loose rear panel, my 2006 Williamsburg has screws on the bottom, rivets along the top. Check out some videos on
Colemanpopupparts.com
Derek will teach ya lots about the hidden stuff on Coleman’s.
Happy Trails!

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
It is only attached to the top edge and the the bottom edge the sides are double sided tape. Search my posts on how to repair. Usually the wood framing needs to be repaired. Look up at the bottom edge and you will see the screws or rivets(would have to drilled out). On the top the same but don’t try to remove the trim just wedge it apart with a stiff putty knife the panel will come off after you remove the spare tire mount

Nbjoe57

Jun 30, 2022
Long Island , NY.
It is only attached to the top edge and the the bottom edge the sides are double sided tape. Search my posts on how to repair. Usually the wood framing needs to be repaired. Look up at the bottom edge and you will see the screws or rivets(would have to drilled out). On the top the same but don’t try to remove the trim just wedge it apart with a stiff putty knife the panel will come off after you remove the spare tire mount
Ok Raycfe:
I will give that a try and appreciate the info.
Thanks!

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
You may have a screw at each bumper cap end. Work in a warm place. Stiff putty knife to separate seams. The plastic is fragile so be careful. You will most likely have to repair the wood framework, use good strong wood and glue. If you ever thought about running additional wires to the curbside now would be the best time. I seems that photobucket has "lost" most of my photos. This repair was done in 2011 and is still in great shape today, I sold this camper to a friend of mind and he still has it.
Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 5.34.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 5.34.33 PM.png

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Good luck ..... take your time ....... remove spare carrier first ........ then the bottom edge ....... the top will take some patience